General Electric - GE Refrigerator water supply

Posted on Saturday, February 2nd, 2008 at 5:49pm CST by c9e99414

Product: GE Model GSH25SGPC SS

Company: General Electric

I purchased a GE refrigerator, model # GSH25SGPC SS, it is about 2 years old and I have had no problems until the last three months. The water supply in the door stopped working. Someone told me to take a hair dryer and heat the plastic tubing behind the crisper (not too hot so as to melt the tubing). I did this and also blew warm air around the back of the freezer door where the water is dispensed. Nothing happened until about 15 minutes later when it started working. It worked for a few days and stopped again. I have tried turning the air off that flows to the crisper area, tried turning the temperature up in both the refrigerator and freezer to no avail. I then heated all the same areas again and within an hour it stared dispensing water again. The third time I just went in and pushed and pulled on the tubing and about 20 minutes later it started working again. This time it worked for about four days. I have even tried moving food around in both sides with no results. I have household appliance insurance American Home Shield and they said that the water supply is not covered. I am extremely disgusted and unless something changes, this will be my last GE appliance! I have spoken with others who have the same problem and they have been told by GE to replace the freezer door at a cost of $500.00. Other wise they turn their back to the problem.

4f44ceca, 2008-04-06, 11:03AM CDT

I purchased a GE refrigerator, model # GSL25JFPEBS and we have the same problem with the water dispenser on the door. We had a Best Buy repair man out yesterday and he said that we needed a new door because the water line is frozen inside the door and these doors cannot be repaired. You cannot get inside the door!

c9e99414, 2009-01-08, 08:44AM CST

I have exactly the same problem. My model is the exact same as yours. I keep a hair dryer in the cabinet next to the fridge and thaw it out every two days. What a shame to have to do this on a new refridgerator that cost around $1,000.00. I have called GE and they keep saying they are not aware of the problem and have not had any complaints. This is an out and out lie. I have complained to Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. I even went up to someone in Lowe's that was looking at a GE fridge and warned them not to buy. What recourse do we the consumer have when criminals like this will not stand behind their product once they get our money? I womder if this is something some attourney would like to get into and pursue? Surely we can all band together and force GE to do something. Check some of the web sites, I suspect theie are probably hundreds of us with the same problem and even more that don't know where to turn. I have been trying so long to no avail that my fridge ids now out of warranty which GE loves and uses. Any ideas? By the way, GE did say they will be glad to come out and replace my door at a cost of over $500.00 to fix their manufacturing defect! Lowe's woud not do anything to help either. Please feel free to contact me.

c9e99414, 2009-01-08, 09:18AM CST

This is regarding a GE refrigerator purchased from Lowe's. The model is # GSH25SGPC SS. The water dispenser in the freezer door keeps freezing up and will not dispense water, I keep a hair dryer in the cabinet next to the fridge and thaw it out every two days. What a shame to have to do this on a new refridgerator that cost around $1,000.00. I have called GE and they keep saying they are not aware of the problem and have not had any complaints. This is an out and out lie since there are many web sites where consumers have registered complaints including this one. Check "GE GE refrigerator water supply". I have contacted GE about 5 times and Lowes twice about this problem since it was new. Lowes says it is GE's problem and GE says there is no problem. I have complained to Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. I even went up to someone in Lowe's that was looking at a GE fridge and warned them not to buy. What recourse do we the consumer have when criminals like this will not stand behind their product once they get our money? I wonder if this is something some ambitious young attorney would like to get into and pursue? Surely we can all band together and force GE to do something. Check some of the web sites, I suspect there are probably hundreds of us with the same problem and even more that don't know where to turn. I have been trying so long, to no avail, that my fridge is now out of warranty which GE loves and uses to their advantage. GE did say they will be glad to come out and replace my faulty door at a cost of over $500.00 to fix their manufacturing defect! How thoughtful! Lowe's would not do anything to help either.

c9e99414, 2009-01-08, 09:18AM CST

efd57b8c, 2010-05-23, 06:05PM CDT

I have a GE model TPS24PPBJBS side by side with a water and ice dispenser. I have had the line freezing problem but not recently. I also have problems with uneven cooling in the refrigerator section such that items on the top shelves freeze while items in the lower sections are not cold enough. I also have a water dispenser that drips/overflows and have had problems with the plastic water lines getting brittle and cracking.