Kay Jewelers - Sterling Jewelers (Kay Jewelers) - Incompetent / Unprofessional Repair, Incompetent Staff

Posted on Saturday, February 16th, 2008 at 6:23pm CST by 35f7ed21

Company: Kay Jewelers

Location: Quarry Market Mall
San Antonio, TX, US

URL: http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/home|10101|10001|-1|

KAY JEWELERS - THREE RINGS - THREE CUSTOMER SERVICES DISASTERS - THE PERFECT STORM OF INCOMPETENCE

One man's 18K gold wedding band brought in for resizing, wife's gold and diamond wedding ring "inspected" and found prongs needed work, man's class ring was "cleaned" and stone loosened. Wedding band was returned after resizing down from 12.5 to 9.5 ring size, class ring was left in hydro sonic cleaner (forgotten by staff FOR 30MIN), stone was shaken loose of mounting, wife's diamond had shoddy work done, sent back for re-work.

Complaint details:

#1 - 18K Wedding band - when returned after downsizing 3 sizes gold removed from ring was not returned (we are looking at .4 inches/9mm of gold band not including the thickness of the band, at almost $900/oz this is a significant amount of gold). I was given the lame explanation that the ring had been "heated and compressed" and that there was no gold to return - explanation is contrary to the laws of physics specifically to the law of conservation of mass, where did the missing gold go? The ring was not made thicker. The explanations given were contradictory and idiotic, anyone with High School Physics wouldn't believe this explanation, two different staff and the manager contradicted themselves as to the facts of the re-sizing process.

I asked for some technical reference and was told that they were not "experts", so why were they representing a process they could not explain?

Now onto the litany of contradictory statements: Explanation #1 - the ring was to be cut, resized and soldered back together (the traditional method), I expected to get the gold piece that was cut out back from the ring (as I have in even third world jewelry stores). Explanation #2 - I was then told that there was no gold to return as the ring had been melted and reformed therefore breaking the laws of physics. Explanation #3 - I was then told that the missing gold had been found and then would be returned to me. Back to Explanation #2 again - I was called and told the "compression" story again. I have found nothing on the internet nor from friends that are familiar with jewelry about this "magic machine" that compresses metal three sizes and doesn't make the ring thicker but keeps all the gold mass intact. The re-engraving they did to the ring was a cheap stamped version which looked horrible, there have been promises made to rectify this as well, we'll see.

#2 - Diamond Wedding Ring - returned with a very sloppy job of re-tipping the prongs. The marquis cut diamond was mounted off-center from the setting, it was also mounted at a slant, not perpendicular to the ring, one of the prong tips was gobbed with too much solder and much larger than the others making it look very sloppy...altogether a very unprofessional job.

#3 - Man's University Ring - stone knocked out of setting due to incompetence of staff - leaving it in the hydro sonic cleaner for 30 minutes. Assured they would fix it and put a "rush" on it. They were to send it to Art Carved facility directly to fix it and re-size it. Now the story is that they sent it to their shop by mistake (caught their staff in a lie on this one) then they had to re-send it three times to Art Carved and still couldn't get it fixed, I am still waiting. They have our original receipt and will now send the ring by USPost under my name and address, hopefully they will not "lose" it and I will not have to prove this, any physical proof that they have it is in their hands, a scary thought.

All in all very shoddy work, incompetent staff who lied and misrepresented in order to dodge responsibility, treating customers like idiots, only skill evident in staff was to "upsell", we are on the fourth week, have pre-paid the repairs, they have our money AND our rings and all we have is aggravation and a great lack of confidence in anything they tell us.

I called the Kay Jewelers district manager Ruben Barrera (16 Feb. 2008) for San Antonio and have heard nothing back from him. I fully expect that they will hope to tire me out with more false promises of customer service and hope I accept their shoddy, incompetent work and unprofessional behavior.

Short is - NEVER HAVE KAY JEWELERS DO ANY REPAIRS ON YOUR KEEPSAKES, THEY WILL MESS IT UP AND CAUSE YOU NO END OF FRUSTRATION. SO FAR THREE RINGS, THREE DISASTERS AND NO LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL AFTER ALMOST FOUR WEEKS OF PHONE PROMISES.

c458eec9, 2008-06-13, 09:49AM CDT

Get a lawyer and sue them ..let them tell their lies to a Judge..what is it about people on this site..they let people steal thousands of dollars from them and all they do is whine instead of getting pissed and getting a lawyer..

1eabbda7, 2008-09-15, 07:35AM CDT

Dear Sir,

I have 200 kilogram of 23+ carat alluvial gold dust

which i inherited from my late father, which i have decided to put on

sale for sometimes now.

(FULL CORPORATE OFFER)

PRODUCT:---------------------- -Alluvial gold dust(AU).

ORIGIN:----------------------- ----Ghana Gold

QUALITY:---------------------- ---23+carat.

PURITY;....................... .......: 999.9/1000 (99.999)

PRICE PER 1 KILOGRAM:---- $15,500USD(Negotiable).

Best regard,

I have 200 kilogram of 23+ carat alluvial gold dust

which i inherited from my late father, which i have decided to put on

sale for sometimes now.

(FULL CORPORATE OFFER)

PRODUCT:---------------------- -Alluvial gold dust(AU).

ORIGIN:----------------------- ----Ghana Gold

QUALITY:---------------------- ---23+carat.

PURITY;....................... .......: 999.9/1000 (99.999)

PRICE PER 1 KILOGRAM:---- $15,500USD(Negotiable).

Best regard,