Carnival Cruise Lines - Complaint Against Carnival Cruise Lines

Posted on Friday, April 4th, 2008 at 11:31pm CDT by 80c3f4a3

Company: Carnival Cruise Lines

Category: Travel, Vacations

I have a complaint that I need to share with someone.

My family and I (wife and two children) took a 5 day cruise on the Carnival Inspiration going to Cozumel, Mexico and Grand Cayman Islands departing on March 29, 2008 and returning on April 3, 2008 from Tampa, Florida. I paid $3107.12 for two rooms for this voyage.

We left port in Tampa, Florida and on the following day were notified that we would only go to Cozumel, Mexico and not Grand Cayman Islands due to mechanical problems with the ship’s propulsion system. We received notification via letter and over the intercom.

The only compensation we received for these problems is $50 added to our sail and sign cards and a 25% discount on a future 3-5 day cruise departing prior to December 15, 2009 and they say this excludes holiday travel.

I believe that the problems experienced by Carnival is a reflection of the organization cutting corners to save money to included taking short cuts on maintenance. I also believe that we should not bear the burden of their bad decisions. If I hadn’t paid the complete cost of the voyage, we would not have been allowed to travel on Carnival. It was their expectation to receive full payment prior to traveling. It was my expectation to travel to Cozumel, Mexico and Grand Cayman Islands on a 5 day cruise. That is what we (the cruise line and I) agreed to, that was what I paid for, and that is what I expected. The only circumstance that should have interfered with this plan was weather problems.

However upon these change of events, Carnival Cruise Line management felt that the only compensation we deserved was $50 and the opportunity to spend another $500-$1000 on their ships (my family and I spend about $1000 on this cruise outside of paying for the trip itself) at a future date, and then they place restrictions on using this discount. I have no intentions of traveling on Carnival again so I guess we are screwed.

I looked on the Carnival website and noticed that they have a 4 day cruise to Cozumel, Mexico from Tampa, Florida. In my opinion, we took a 4 day cruise because we only went to one location during this trip. The organization should take the lost on the extra day for inconveniencing their customers. I looked at the cost of the exact same accommodations my family had on this cruise and found the cost to be $532.74 per person including tax and the fuel surcharge. The per person cost for our voyage was $776.78 including tax and fuel surcharge. This is a difference of $194.04 after subtracting the $50 credit to my sail and sign card. This difference multiplied by 4 (my family) is $776.16.

I have no intention of traveling on Carnival Cruise Line ever again and believe that they owe me $776.16 for the maintenance deficiencies and not fulfilling their commitment to my family.

Respectfully,

Tyron

df26e1b2, 2009-02-06, 06:34PM CST

I have a complaint against Carnival. My wife and I, and another couple, booked a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Legend on 3/10/08 for 12/14/08 thru 12/21/08. In Nov. 08, as i saw the fuel prices lowering, I called Carnival and was told that if the cost of a barrel of oil was less than $70.00 when we cruised, we could receive the $35.00 per person fuel surcharge back in the form of shipboard credit. When we boarded the ship, the four of us went to guest relations, where we were told, by 3 separate people, that the refund would appear on our credit cards. When we returned home, we waited for 2 credit card statements - it was not there. I then wrote a letter to the president, who gave it to someone else to answer (naturally), who gave me some propaganda about why we weren't going to receipt the fuel surcharge refund. I called, and received more "B.S.". I have since called to credit card company, and put my final payment for the cruise in "dispute". It this is not resolved satisfactorally, I will even cut up that credit card and never pay that bill!

Please advise as to where i should go now.

Respecfully,

Harold Hashinsky

04934152, 2010-04-24, 01:41PM CDT

Tyron, on other cruises guests recieved only $50 on board credit there was no offer of twenty five percent off your next cruise. I dont want to sound rude but you were one of the lucky ones to get this. On other cruises the same ship the same problem guests recieved $75 on board credit. I agree with you we all paid a lot of money for a cruise and carnival does what ever they want. There logo is we dont care!! I know that for a fact!!

573ad81f, 2010-10-07, 09:59PM CDT

Dear Mr. D'Souza:

Thanks for getting in touch with us again.

Respectfully, I must advise you that all correspondence of this nature addressed to any member of management at Carnival Cruise Lines, be it shipboard or shore side, will be deferred to my attention for a response, as this is my area of responsibility.

Once again, we would like to extend our apologies to you. Keeping guests happy is at the heart of our business, so it's disheartening to hear that our genuine concern didn't make the impact it should have. It is always discouraging for us to hear that our guests have returned home feeling let down. We pride ourselves on providing a great cruise experience and we are very sorry that an otherwise memorable cruise, ended on a sour note.

I want to assure you that we have given careful consideration to the matters you have brought to our attention. In response to your concerns, we have shown good faith and have acted in a fair and appropriate manner. We regret that we cannot come to an agreement; however, I do have to be honest and tell you that no further consideration will be given to this matter. I take the opportunity to reiterate the sincere apologies previously expressed and leave you with my best wishes.

Sincerely,

From: Francis D'Souza <[email protected]>

Received: 10/7/10 12:32:36 PM EDT

To: Guest Care <[email protected]>

Subject: FW: Complaint: RE: CARNIVAL LIBERTY, 08/28/10, 2270, 66LV76,

Today I received a phone call from an individual named 'Martha' who offered an hollow apology and advised me that the 'Cruise Directors' who I asked to speak to have 'More Important' things to do than to help address my complaint. Are your customers not important to you guys? You may be a large conglomerate, but you dont treat your customer complaints callously! What happened that day was very aggravating to me and my wife!

Martha who claimed she was a supervisor did not seem to have the peoples skills required to handle a complaint of this sort! An hollow apology coming from a person that was not a party to the incident considering how I was treated at debarkation does not cut it.

To tell me that "this is the way we handle our complaints"...and I dont know what you do 'Mr. D'souza but this is how we do things at Carnival.......and indicate to me that this is the end of the road and the buck stops here is a rather rude way of handling a complaint!!!

I hope to hear soon from your Cruise Director!

An even angrier ex-cruiser!

To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Complaint: RE: CARNIVAL LIBERTY, 08/28/10, 2270, 66LV76, 011855556A <<#413272-1005152#>>

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:55:34 -0400

Lorraine,

It does not seem that you realise that I have asked in both my previous emails for a 'Senior Manager' to respond.

I do appreciate your effort to reslove this issue, however, I will not be satisfied unless I hear from the 'Cruise Director' of Carnival Liberty for a proper explanation and apology for what transpired on that day. I think the Cruise Directors name was Kyle.

The deceptive and devious way in which the 2 crew members behaved is a very serious matter that I am not about to sweep under the carpet. The incident caused me and my wife unecessary mental aggravation. A perfect cruise was otherwise spoilt by these two individuals during debarkation.

If I do not hear from the Cruise Director Kyle, I will not hesitate to escalate this issue further to your Senior Cruise Director John Heald at your Corporate Office whose email address I am in the process of obtaining.

Francis D'Souza

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Complaint: RE: CARNIVAL LIBERTY, 08/28/10, 2270, 66LV76, 011855556A <<#413272-1005152#>>

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:57:00 -0400

Dear Mr. Dsouza:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our previous response to you.

Our original response was a sincere effort to address the issues brought to our attention. We agree that customer service is essential for growth and continued success.

You're right, if our staff knew you had been selected by Customs for a random inspection, you should have been advised as such when they were escorting you. Be assured we will address this issue to make sure this does not happen again. We apologize for the miscommunication on the part of our staff.

With regard to passports, much like airline employees, our staff is authorized to collect passports for verification purposes or to pass them on to Customs agents.

It is the responsibility of the Guest Care Department to respond to any correspondence address to our executive office. However you can be assured comments are documented and forwarded to the respective department heads for their review and internal follow-up as necessary.

We know that a fast, speedy, and hassle free debarkation process is key to the ending of a great cruise. This is certainly not what we would have wished for you. In no way would we want to make light of your situation. At this point we can only apologize.

It is regretful that you received such a poor impression and we hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your patronage.

Cordially,

Received: 9/28/10 6:56:01 PM EDT

To: Guest Care <[email protected]>

Subject: Complaint: RE: CARNIVAL LIBERTY, 08/28/10, 2270, 66LV76, 011855556A

Dear Lorraine,

Your response in no way has allayed my dissapointment over the incident! Infact it has made me even more angry at your rather casual response to an incident that caused me unnecessary aggravation!

I am not questioning the fact that our bags were searched by the customs officials. That is the law and I fully understand that you have no control over it.

What I am questioning is the devious and rather deceptive behaviour of your staff, whose names I unfortunately did not obtain.

I would like to receive a full explanation of my following questions!

1) Why did the individual who called my cabin say that my wife and I were among the few passengers selected to be specially escorted off the ship. She said that they do this on all cruises as a special gesture. In fact she made me feel rather priviledged! I was to report immediately to the concierge along with my passport and all other documentation. I was to bypass all the other passengers waiting.

2) When I reached the service desk, I and another passenger inquired from the other female crew escorting us, if this was in anyway related to a baggage check? She flatly said it was not and again reiterated the same story as the individual who called us on the phone.

3) One of the individuals obtained all our passports and flight documentation and put it in to a folder and escorted us all in to a room where customs officers were waiting to check our bags. Why did the individual take away our passports?? A passport is the personal property of the individual and must be surrendered only to the proper authorities. The crew did not have any authority to take away the passports of all the individuals in question! We could have produced our passports to the customs and immigration authourities ourselves! Why were we treated like some sort of criminals!

4) Why did both individuals leave us in the customs hall without explaining anything to anyone of us. The simply handed our passports to the customs officials and then quietly slinked away!

Both my wife and me would like a proper explanation of all the above and an official apology over this disgusting incident and the behaviour of your staff. I would like a proper response from a Senior Manager in the Customer Service Department.

An angry ex-cruiser!

Francis D'Souza

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:22:38 -0400

Subject:

RE: CARNIVAL LIBERTY, 08/28/10, 2270, 66LV76, 011855556A

Dear Mr. Dsouza:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey following your recent cruise aboard the CARNIVAL LIBERTY.

We are especially pleased our staff provided exceptional service during your cruise. All of Carnival team members mentioned in your survey will receive proper recognition on your behalf for making your vacation more enjoyable.

We were very concerned to learn of the incident that happened aboard the CARNIVAL LIBERTY. When our ships return to a U.S. port, Customs is entitled by law to question or search any or all guests onboard and Carnival Cruise Lines has no control over this. You are right: you should have been told by our staff. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are always looking for ways to improve our cruise line and it is the support from guests such as yourself that help us achieve our goals.

Thank you again for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines. We hope you allow us an opportunity to welcome you back.

Sincerely,

Lorraine Giraud

Guest Care

Harvey J., 2014-07-17, 02:19PM CDT

We just received an e-mail concerning 1) increasing non smoking restrictions and 2) increased gratuity on our next two upcoming cruises.

1) Carnival goes out of their way to make exceptions for many types of passengers. Carnival makes exceptions for handicap passengers. Carnival makes exceptions for passengers that partake excessivly of alcohol. Carnival makes exceptions for passengers that enjoy objectionable and foul language. Carnival makes exceptions for all the parents that think that a cruise is for uncontrolled children. Carnival goes out of their way to accomodate the non smoking passengers. Carnival does not go out of their way to accomodate the smoking passengers unless it is in the Casinos where the money and profits rule. Making smoking passengers dress and leave their room at all times of the day and night to go to a designated small area to smoke is not treating them with the respect that they are due. Maybe you will soon be required to use odorless cleaners, airfresheners, food and drinks. Employees perfumes, aftershave, deodorants and body sprays are not far behind that. Smokers need to stand up and take their money and business elsewhere. Smokers deserve their own deck(s)and other facilities. Smokers are not lesser passengers that the non smoking ones. We have paid extra on all of our cruises to allow my wife the comfort of going out on the balcony to have a cigaret. Now Carnival is taking that away as well. Why continue with cruises? I am a non smoker, but the smokers rights are being ignored. Their rights are not important enough. Their rights are being violated.

2) I do not know where your company has gotten their understanding on gratuity. It is not intended as Carnival practices, as part of the wage and benifit package. Gratuity is meant to be voluntaraly given by the service receiver for exemplary service. Why should any service provider staff go out of their way when the service receivers are forced to give an amount that may be above the level of the service provided. This Carnival practice of gratuity, (forced,) is actually reminding me why it is more economical to fly to a destination for a longer period rather than a cruise. The fourteen day Hiwaii cruse for two passengers is just under $400 in forced tipping/gratuity. That is a couple of additional nights for two at a good resort..

All of this from a life long tipper that enjoys letting someone know that I appreciate their service to me by tipping, and an individual that wants you to have and keep your rights and wants you to respect All of my/his rights. Just a plain old American