GE Money Bank - Charged return check fee but didn't bounce check

Product: GE Money Bank

Company: GE Money Bank

Location: P.O. Box 960061
Orlando, Fl, 32696-0061, US

Paid online payment via GE Money banks online website. Received confirmation of the payment, next months statement I was billed for a returned check fee. Called customer service and they informed me that I must have entered the wrong bank account info. There was no returned check. Had I entered the wrong account info why had GE Money not contacted me. I had to enter the info twice, therefore it left little room for error. I pay bills with this method every month and have never had this experience. Since opening the account with GE Money Bank I have paid three times the amount due. I was paid up and yet they charged me a return check fee when there was no returned check. Customer service will not credit back the $39.00 fee.

9c7fa870, 2008-10-27, 01:25PM CDT

File formal complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Office of Thrift Supervision.

This is a violation of the Fair Credit Billing Act and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act.

Don't let them get away with it

49c46436, 2009-01-01, 07:44PM CST

I sympathize with you. I rec'd calls from GE Money Bank about my Sam's Club Discover card account. They claimed that my payment was late. I mailed a payment in full 4 weeks before these calls began. They said the check was returned, not due to insufficient funds, but because I INCORRECTLY WROTE MY ACCOUNT NUMBER ON MY CHECK (on the check's memo line)!! I told them that they could have referenced the payment stub for the correct number and that they could have given me a courtesy call to have me send another check or to make an online payment. These thieves don't operate like that. I was forced to pay a late fee and a returned check fee (which I never did receive the check back!). I paid the balance in full over the phone and CLOSED the account. I have now closed my Wal-Mart Discover Card account and J.C. Penney account, both handled by GE Money Bank. In fact, I'm closing most of my credit card accounts now. I refuse to be raped like this again.