Magnavox, Funai Corp - Magnavox MWC24T5B combo unit DOES NOT TURN ON!!

Posted on Wednesday, September 26th, 2007 at 1:48pm CDT by 635b52a0

Product: Magnavox MWC24T5B

Company: Magnavox, Funai Corp

Location: 19900 Van Ness
Torrance, ca, 90501, US

On 9/26/2006 I purchased a Magnavox multi combo TV unit (Model#MWC24T5B) at Wal-Mart. On 7/15/2007 the television no longer would turn on. I called the 800 number for Funai Corp., and was told to bring the unit to a service center. The service center they referred me to was out of business. I called Funai Corp again to get another service center listing. I received 3 more listings, of which only one was still in business.

On 8/7 I took the TV to EPITEK Service Center in Garden Grove, and by 8/14 EPITEK made the evaluation that the TV could not be repaired. I contacted Funai Corp on 8/15 and faxed them the work order stating the TV was irreparable, and Fernando at Funai stated they would have to investigate the matter themselves, and arranged to pick up the TV and return it to Funai.

On 8/16 I spoke with Deanna at FUNAI, who advised me they would call the service center to arrange a pickup, she put me on hold and I was disconnected after holding 7 minutes. I called back and spoke to Jasmine, who put me on hold 18:46 minutes, and then hung up on me. I called back and spoke to Roxanne who put me on hold 17:47 minutes and told me to call back the following day and hung up. I called back, and reached Alex, who put me on hold 30 minutes before telling me they had arranged to pick up the TV from EPITEK in 7 days (8/24, Thursday.)

On 8/30 I called Funai and spoke to Charles (supervisor #514) who confirmed the scheduled pick up date was 8/24, but he did not see the TV had been received in to the warehouse. He stated that normally it takes 24 to 48 hours after pick-up for them to receive the merchandise in. I reminded him at that point it had been 96 hours. He said there was nothing he could do to speed up the process, all he knew is they dont have the TV. I asked him if he could track the TVs progress, and he stated he didnt want to QUOTE get involved. He then stated he had to end the call if I had no further questions, bid me good day and hung up.

On 9/5, 9/6 and 9/7 I was not able to reach a call center rep at Funai. The message stated for 3 days the lines were busy and disconnected me.

On 9/10, I spoke with Brian, who informed me they sent a shipping kit to EPITEK service center on 8/28 (4 days after the promised pick up date.) Brian stated as of 9/7 they show my TV arrived in the warehouse and it will be AT LEAST a one month wait. I advised Brian two weeks had passed since the original promise date, so 1 more month was not acceptable. I asked for his supervisor, Brian put me on hold for 13 minutes. Charles picked up the call, and I asked him about the conversation on 8/30 where he confirmed my TV was picked up on 8/24. Charles stated he did not know what I was talking about. He said its not his problem that the service center did not make arrangements to have the TV picked up until Sept. I reminded Charles that on 8/30 he confirmed the pick up was scheduled for 8/24. Charles stated that he QUOTE aint never said that. Charles stated I will have to wait at least 30 days QUOTE just like everybody else. I asked him what the warranty on their repairs would be, and he stated the original manufacturers warranty applies. My warranty expires on 9/26, I reminded him. They take so long to repair the unit my warranty will expire before I get it back. I asked if they guarantee their repairs; IE if the TV breaks again do they guarantee the work. He stated, QUOTE It aint gonna leave here broked. If it DO break, thats on you. I asked to speak to his supervisor, Charles refused. I asked him for the name of his supervisor, Charles stated Louis. I asked for the last name, Charles refused. I asked a second time for the last name, Charles stated, he had QUOTE better things to do than to listen to me. I asked why he wont give me the name, he stated he answered all of my questions and he will QUOTE wait silently on the line until you finish your rant. I advised him he had NOT answered the question of the supervisors last name, he said QUOTE Are you done yet? I asked him, QUOTE Are you refusing to assist me? to which Charles answered, QUOTE Yes. Charles then hung up on me.

This is all for a $248 combo TV.

PS: Kodak has recently agreed to allow Magnavox to do the asembly of their digital camera line. I strongly advise to not buy Kodak nor Magnavox products.

f23b0383, 2008-05-09, 11:39AM CDT

I HAD A VERY SIMILIAR EXPERIENCE WITH A 24" DVD/VCR/COMBO T.V. SET THAT I PURCHASED AT A WALMART STORE. I THOUGHT I WAS BUYING A MAGNAVOX, IF I HAD KNOWN IT WAS MADE AND/OR WARRANTIED BY FUNAI CORP. I WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT IT. IT LASTED LESS THAN 6 MOS. THEN IT WOULD NOT TURN ON AT ALL. I HAD TO DRIVE MY BROKEN T.V. SET 120 MILES TO A REPAIR CENTER (A & G T.V. REPAIR/1-708-424-6868)WHERE FUNAI CUST. SVCE. TOLD ME WAS THE CLOSEST AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER TO ME. THEN I HAD TO PAY $45.00 TO HAVE THEM LOOK AT IT. THEN THEY KEPT IT FOR ALMOST 8 MONTHS WAITING FOR PARTS. WHEN THEY FINALLY DID GET IT FIXED IT COST ME AN ADDITIONAL $110.00 TO GET IT BACK. NOW I HAVE ALMOST $500.00 U.S. DOLLARS WRAPPED UP INTO THIS T.V. SET AND I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD IT BACK FOR A YEAR YET AND IT IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. IS THIS NOT GROUNDS FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW-SUIT FOR FALSE ADVERTISING? I HAVE ALL OF MY EXPERIENCE DOCUMENTED IN DETAIL!