texas pawprints - harrasment complaint aginst texas pawprints

Posted on Thursday, October 25th, 2007 at 8:27pm CDT by 508e3ad1

Product: pet adoption

Company: texas pawprints

Location: dallas, tx, 75056, US

I would like to register a complaint against a volunteer that works for your organization. I believe her name is Justine. She has on more than one occasion contacted me via myspace.com harassing me about a third party person named Brandon Hershey who has adopted from your agency.

Let me start by saying that Brandon Hershey is my brother-in-law, and he has adopted a cat from your organization. Justine also informs me that Brandon has not paid some sort of fee for the adoption or his check bounced. She has also attempted to get me to contact Brandon via myspace (which I have). I also informed her that this was not an appropriate way to collect and she needs to STOP contacting me.

Once I told her not to do so, she continued saying that is was not illegal to do so. And in her last communication with me she apparently has done some searching in my own past and calls out the fact that I have been charged with hot checks. I dont think I need to explain that MY past has NOTHING to do with Mr. Hershey and for her to do so is not only very immature but also illegal. Im sure that Texas Paw Prints does not want to have someone on their staff (volunteer or otherwise) portraying them in such a light. Also in this last communication she says that I need to loose weight and I have spelling issues. Again this speaks to the quality of person this woman is. I sincerely hope you will contact me letting me know how this has been resolved. I never asked her to contact me and on more than one occasion I have asked her to stop. I will be contacting a lawyer if this matter is not resolved. My info is on the bottom. I have also included coplies of our conversations.

Daniel Shoemaker

[email protected]

FIRST CONTACT:

Hi, sorry if it seems I'm stalking you but I have been trying to contact Brandon Hershey for quite a while and had no luck.

I am a volunteer with an animal rescue group based in Dallas called Texas Pawprints. Brandon adopted a cat from us in April and I am trying to check in with him to see how the cat's doing. Plus, we can't get his credit card to run and we really need the $$ for vet bills.

The cat's name is/was Tristan.

If you can somehow get a message to him, the group (texas pawprints) has a voicemail system at 214-912-2573 and our email is [email protected]

Sorry again to pester you, esp. since it isn't your cat, but I wouldn't have done this if I hadn't been completely out of options.

MY RESPONCE:

Thank you for contacting me. If i may say this is a very poor way to collect funds, and I sincerely hope this is NOT an attemp to collect as it is aginst the Federal Dept Collection Acts of 1994. I can tell you that Brandon and his cross eyed cat are doing very well. If you need to collect funds from Mr. Hershy you need to do it another way.

SECOND CONTACT:

I think you need to read my original message again.

I only contacted you because Mr. Hershey gave us a non-working phone number on his adoption contract. He's not in the White Pages either. Like I previously said, I was running out of options.

My only option now is to contact him via the address on his driver's license. Since his family members will probably see any correspondence I send him, I won't be able to spare him any potential embarrassment (which is the other reason why I contacted you). We don't adopt to people we don't like, that's why we cut them so much slack.

Plus, the person who rescued the cat is a 13-year old kid who was/is very worried about the cat's fate. The cat somehow got locked into his elementary school during spring break.

If you think I'm a debt collector, you need to actually read the Debt Collection Act of 1994. Rescue groups don't extend credit, which is what the Debt Collection Act covers.

Our adoption fees don't begin to cover the cost of the veterinary bills for every animal we rescue. If you think it's okay for adoptors to screw non-profits, you have a weird sense of ethics.

Currently we owe our vet $5,000, so I had to get creative to attempt to get her some $ so she can make payroll. Unless you think she deserves to be shortchanged, too.

J.

MY RESPONCE:

I will be plain in my responce. Despite the sadness you are trying to portray with the situation, this was a very poor attempt to try and collect. And yes, you are subject to the FDCPA, even though you are a "charity". Brandon has been told of both of your communications, and if he contacts you thats great, if not then i have no sympathy. You should have had better criteria when choosing adoption canidates.

and although i am an animal lover, i hate cats. so i do not really care. please do not respond back to me, or others via this means. an attempt to do so will be very foolish on your part.

Very sincerly,

Daniel

HER LAST COMMUNICATION:

Sat in jail for a hot check, eh? No wonder you don't think people should pay their bills.

And to describe a "friend" as a lousy adoption candidate is not exactly the actions of a friend.

Learn how to spell and lose some weight.

J.

BTW, e-mail threats are the sign of a serious wuss. Talk is cheap.

b8636dfb, 2007-10-27, 02:46PM CDT

Mr. Shoemaker neglected to include this email he sent to me (Justine):

fuck you bitch. why dont you adopt some more fuckin cats you crazy cat lady. It will be my personal mission to have you fired from your stupid volenteer job you stupid cunt. Got a kid or a husband? hell no not for you cause you got a bunch of fuckin no good cats.

In addition, I have personally accepted all legal responsibility for this matter.

0597d82f, 2007-12-13, 03:23PM CST

Was the email full of cursing before or after you illegally ran a criminal background check on him?

a99c7eaa, 2008-07-08, 02:26AM CDT

It is not illegal to run a criminal background check. Criminal convictions are open records, and are not in anyway shape or form private. All states and the federal goverment provide information to the public, concerning convictions, date of conviction, place of conviction, sentence. The only exclusion is some places exclude juvenile convictions, and military actions.

c458eec9, 2009-01-20, 03:07PM CST

That volunteer was more then pleasant in her messages to you, however you were rude, vulgar, callous and well, male...anyone who does not care about the welfare of one of Gods creatures should not be allowed to call himself or herself human!! By the way your spelling sucks no idea about the weight so I wont go there mainly because I don't care enough to check out your my space page..you have proven via your post and your own messages what kind of person you are..chances are it isn't that you don't like cats, they probably don't like you because cats are a good judge of character and you sir have no character whatsoever! btw dick lick you spell it lose..not l-o-o-s-e! Also it's candidates..not c-a-n-i-d-a-t-e-s..ever hear of spell check, jail bird??

508e3ad1, 2009-10-08, 05:32PM CDT

Sorry it took me some time to respond. I wasnt even aware that any responses were even put in. But since I have stumbled upon them allow me to retort:

My point in all of this, and it was missed by dumb women who are too much in love with cats, was that contacting me in ANY way was inappropriate. Oh, and by the way, if my spelling bothers you, please and sincerely kiss my ass. I dont care. If you want to nitpick about a few words being misspelled then please excuse yourself from the conversation, because you have nothing of importance to add.

Back to my point. Brandon Hershey adopted the cat. You were stiffed on payment. So therefore you decide its ok to harass their family members about it? Doesnt seem right in my eyes, or in the views of the law. And whoever added the part about legal responsibilities, that stupid. I never wrote or typed that.

Since it bothers you, let me say that I genuinely hate cats! I cant stand them, and I cant stand people that have them. And as I recall I think that cat ran into traffic and got "runned" over. Probably because your god made a faulty cross eyed cat and no one will miss it.

So let me say (2 years later) that that volunteer chick is a joke, that stupid Texas paw prints is a joke, and dumb cunts that associate themselves with that organization are also societys jokes. They are the people we see on the news that die alone in empty apartments, half eaten by the dumb animals that they cherish. The truth is cats (and these women) have no purpose. So, I hope that it was worth it, knowing that the dumb cat is no longer alive, and you will never get your money.

Oh, and another point. Nowhere in any email did I threaten anyone. Please come and see me if you think youve been threatened.

-Daniel Shoemaker

Hye M., 2014-04-18, 02:07PM CDT

On 4-13-14 we recently came into contact with a volunteer of Texas Pawprints exhibiting at the PetSmart on Greenville Ave in Dallas, Texas named "Heather". She was attempting to adopt out a all-black female domestic shorthair feline named, "Luna". Unfortunately, there was another cat on their website in another city being advertised under the name, "Luna" - and that feline was a black/white with a very similar background story. The volunteer herself was behaving in a questionable manner; in that, she was nervous, anxious, and hard-selling this black cat who was acting angry, sick, or emotionally disturbed. "Luna" was spatting, hissing, and willng to bite brough the bars of her carrier; a very defensive behavior stance. All other cats were behaving normally and sequestered in open-style cages. "Luna" was being kept in a small, near-solid transport carrier stuffed w/a small cat nip plant, and no visible litter box, food, or water. This carrier was covered w/(2) eight x eleven sheets of paper taped blocking the carrier's air holes on the front "gate" entrance & side. The papers described Luna's back-story ("I'm really a great cat but other cats makes me nervous", "I'm really a sweetheart once I'm out away from these other strange animals & places")...And, Luna was. She obviously hated being crated so we couldn't figure out why she wasn't she in an open crate & instead "cooped" up as though being "hidden" from full view? "Heather" NEVER ONCE clarified all of Texas Pawprints policies & procedures including their taking in ferral Feline HIV cats, nor informed us they use they apparently use the same recycled names on their other location's websites - for different cats. And...This Org Has An Unually Large Amt of Newborn Kittens to be adopted out so early on that website. "Heather" stated "Luna" was "already spayed" having been "rescued" from an abandoned apt. Bldg. next door to Heather's own 1-bed apt, and Luna was being cooped up in one room avoiding Heather's OTHER two other cats (who apparently were "ganging up on Luna"). What's worse was how Luna fairly well-fed w/a coat in great shape "for a rescue." Well, 3 cats in a 1-bedroom apt is over-occupancy to me especially after a YEAR: The next door abandonded property wasn't just "recently torn down"; Dallas Aprraisal Diatrict showed the lot next to Heather's bldg covered in grass & the developer of the new apts were already completed *across the street*. This animal is either someone else's cat entirely (as even suggested by Heather during the interview, "since no one was offended & removed the collar off Heather put on "Luna" when testing to see if that action got anyone's attention in the neighborhood) or it's BEEN "Heather's" own unsociable cat she can't unload after 6+ months (and is using a faux story to "sell "Luna"). Thing is, we couldn't determine WHERE the cat came from. We do know "Heather" behaved very strangely/nervously during the interview, the cat acted very disturbed (relieved to be released & like an animal would behave when it wants to leave a vet office to return home); "Heather's" story wasn't solid - and the details didn't check out. When another cat with the same name, yet different picture shows up on the website -but advertising nearly the same exact backstory is there, red flags went sky-high. Is this first black cat "Luna" a pet attempted to be adopted out under the guise of "abandoned"?

And additionally - all *we* had to see were these emails back & forth. Under the State of Texas 1702 plus PSB State Board Rules Chapter 35, you have to be an occupationally licensed investigator to function as a debt collector. "Justine" was was threading a thin line acting in the capacity of a debt collector and that falls under FACTA & FCRA. Mr. Shoemaker could theorectically sue Justine personally or the 503(c) non-profit. And, vice-versa. Any contact using harrassment to petform debt collection activity through social media indicates Justine acted in the capacity of a licensed investigator to track down a relative of Mr. Shoemaker, and as a volunteer, she was being supervised by the 503(c) non-profit. If the charity felt there was an issue with the ANIMAL, then Texas Pawprints should have immediately called Dallas County City Services citing potential animal endangerment; instead, the volunteer's actions continued onwards coming off with a sob story but the focus was about *money owed to a vetenarian*. Our question is: how can a non-profit make a profit as a charity organization when veterarian services are "donated"? And would the 5k "vet bill" be indicated in the adoption agreement documented up-front? Shouldn't there be an audit process conducted when web-based resources the IRS appears to be missing this organization's Form 990, for the past (3) consecutive years? Texas Pawprints is presenting as operating out of compliance.