Sears Kenmore Frontload Washer

Product: 417.42142100

Company: Not Available

Location: 2205 Dutch Lane
Jeffersonville, In, 47130, US

This wash machine has mold that continually builds up behind the door gasket and I believe around the drum itself. I have tried to keep it clean but to no avail, our towels smell something awful. I have called Sears 3 times, but only get a runaround, the only option they provide is to have a technician come out ($59.00) and diagnose the problem, which I already know. Then for another charge, they will run a solution through the washer to rid it of the mold, which will return, of course. I filed a complaint with a Sears "executive officer" (who has no power to do a thing about my dillema) and she said that logging my complaint is all they will do. I asked if I should be expecting a call or a letter from someone and she said "no". These washers should have been recalled.

648abd95, 2007-12-15, 08:39PM CST

same thing here!!! constant stink coming from washer. Mold builds up behind the rubber gasket and you can only spray bleach on it to get rid of the mold which returns extremely fast. something is terribly wrong with this style of front load washer.... don't buy this machine... you will be sorry.

648abd95, 2007-12-15, 08:40PM CST

807cddfe, 2008-02-22, 03:44PM CST

I totally agree with you about the recall! I bought an extended warranty with mine and Still have not been able to get a 'repair'. I have been a true blue Kenmore customer for 38 years on All my appliances untill the last 3 years. Even when you buy an extended warranty, the repair is never done or is not done right. I just bought a new top of the line LG fridge and range because of shoddy repair service, and now, it looks like I will be buying a new laundry pair from someone OTHER than Sears. My Kenmore front loading washer is only a year old (I couldn't bear the thought of any washer other than Kenmore till now!) and not only am I having the mold problem, but, the computer went out on it also and the part is now "back ordered". I sat and waited for a repairman for a solid week, now I have waited another solid week only to find out they have no idea when my washer might be repaired! That is not good news in a household of 8 people ranging in age from 85 years old down to 3 years old! A continual mold problem and a computer component that barely lasts a year for a machine that costs as much as this one did...And Then to have to put up with the 'repair service' too?! HUMPH!

83e55b84, 2008-04-29, 06:42AM CDT

Mine too smells like mold and we even bought a box of "washing machine cleaner" for $75.00 that a repair tech told us would solve our problem. We purchased the HE4T front load washer in 2004 and 1 day after the warranty expires it breaks down. We had to purchase a service agreement for $300 a year and thank goodness that we did because is has been broken more in the year that we purchased the service plan 8 times we are up to now. I think that we need to get a group of individuals together and file a class action lawsuit against Sears and their faulty "Front Load Washers".

35bc3da3, 2008-05-04, 03:25PM CDT

Lieffcabraser a Law firm is setting up a class action suit in reference to GE and Kenmore complaints.

www.lieffcabraser.com

I have a Maytag Neptune washer that has to the same problem with mold.

I really think it is the design of the front load washers.

f63415af, 2008-06-13, 05:34PM CDT

I agree. If anyone goes for a class action I'm in. I had the Sears repairman out for the second time in 3 weeks. It not only smells musty and doesn't clean well, it actually puts black marks on my "Clean" laundry. Repairman said the same thing...Build up of scum between the drumb and interior of washing machine. I was told the same thing,"Use the monthly cleaner, Affresh or Washer Magic $13-$15 per month". Of course the Sears repairman was ready to sell me some. I asked him why it didn't mention this required maintenance in my owner's manual or the DVD that came with the machine. I was told the monthly maintenance was only recommended a year ago. So much for this washing maching saving money on detergent.... Sounds like a design flaw to me.

5e0f375a, 2008-10-14, 01:31PM CDT

My 3 year old Kenmore Elite went out a few months ago with the F11 and FdL errors (the plug from the door lock does not connect properly into the central control unit). They tell me I need to replace the CCU, but I went in and improved the connection from the door lock to the CCU. Sears said they would be glad to repair all of this for $500, i.e. 1/3 the cost of the washer... There is a class action suit (do a Goolge search and you'll find the link). Good luck!

edf3630d, 2008-11-24, 11:00PM CST

I totally agree with your complaint. We have the washer also, the Kenmore Elite. My towels and clothes stink. When you towel off from a shower, the towel smells so bad you hurry your way through it. I have also had a technician out, and they admit the problem, but said they would deny it if the Sears people put him up against the wall. I also emailed the complaint department at Sears and they replied with a canned reply that said nothing.

We DO need to get together in a class action Complaint against Sears. Anyone know how to initiate this?

dc29b38b, 2008-12-20, 10:07PM CST

If you think the problem with mold is bad, just wait until the spider on the rear of the stainlees drum disintgrates due to it being Aluminum. Disimilar metals fail from galvantic corrision when exposed to water/detergent. Since the aluminum is a"lesser" metal, it will basiclly disolve in a short time and break. The cost of the repair thru Sears is greater than the replacement cost of the washer when parts and labor are figured in. I hope someone gets a protest together so that we can haul all these machines to a local Sears store and DUMP them at their front door. $750 for a washer that only last 4-5 years is %&$*#.

Do a search on U-tube if you would like to see what one customer found when he took apart his washer -- Just search fridgidaire washer !

dfb2c014, 2009-07-16, 08:40AM CDT

I too am experiencing the odor problem with towels. We dry the rubber gasket after each use, and keep the door open in an attempt to dry the gasket. Nothing works. In addition, the washer is the noisiest machine I have ever used. I complained to Sears about this, even video taping the machine during the spin cycle when the water is being drained, and took the video to Sears and played it for the sales people. They didn't see/hear a problem with it.

8d08fe2a, 2009-07-21, 04:48PM CDT

Same problem here with the mold/mildew on the rubber gasket of my Kenmore front-loader. Our machine is 2 1/2 yrs. old but the problem started before a year old. I've also found thin, dark brown marks on my clothes a couple of times and realized they were from the mildew flipping onto my clothes during the spin cycle! No cleaning method I've tried works. I also called Kenmore and got the runaround until finally I was told that they are aware of the problem but are not planning a recall right now. They said I can write a letter or get the gasket replaced and hope that I can be reimbursed at some point if there ever is a recall-ridiculous! I'm in if anyone has any better ideas. I'm going to check out that link to the possible lawsuit.

3342830b, 2009-08-04, 11:10AM CDT

My Kenmore front load is toast after one year and three months. The bolts that hold the drum sheared off and a weight on the drum fell and broke the pump and shattered into pieces. It truly looks like faulty workmanship. Sears is going to charge me $65.00 for a technician to come out and diagnose the problem. I'm not sure it can even be repaired. After paying almost $1,000 for this washer, it should've lasted more than one year. I can't be the only person who has had this problem with this machine. Think twice before purchasing a front load - I don't think the technology has been perfected yet.

886cfdb1, 2010-07-13, 07:11PM CDT

After reading these complaints, I was ready to get rid of my Kenmore washer, which was smelling moldy. Couldn't get rid of the smell no matter how I scrubbed and emptied the bottom chamber. Since I had nothing to lose, I ran the hot wash cycle with about 1/3 of a gallon of bleach. It smelled really strong, probably wasn't great for my health smelling that, but now there is absolutely no trace of any smell. Nothing could have lived through that cycle! Try it - it gets rid of everything!

ff4fb629, 2010-10-03, 08:59AM CDT

I also have a Kenmore and am having the same problems. I believe that sears should be doing something about this problem . I realized when going on the internet to try to figure out how to get this meldew gone that I was not the only person having this problem that there are alot of people having the same problem .I live in Florida and when I wash my cloths you put them on and they smell of mildew no matter what you do.

40df5388, 2010-11-17, 05:09PM CST

I just found out about this...now I know why everything in my house and me smell like mold!!!!!!!!!I am VERY MAD, I have been dealing with this for years...I even have gone to the doctor thinking it was my persperation, wondering if something was wrong with me ... my home is smells horrible and people have told me at work I smell like mold...this has been destroying my life...I have been using this SEARS front loader for about 8 years...this is wrong and is the responsability of SEARS SEARS SEARS SEARS SEARS SEARS

Dean from NH