OMNI Health Club - OMNI Health Club refusal to terminate 30 day trial

Posted on Thursday, November 8th, 2007 at 7:36pm CST by 99c988bc

Product: Gym Membership

Company: OMNI Health Club

Location: 2361 West Broad St.
Athens, GA, 30605, US

URL: http://www.theomniclubathens.com/

In September 2007, I was searching for a gym in the Athens, GA area and upon hearing that the OMNI Health Club had 30 day trial memberships, I decided to give the gym a try.

I felt a little pushed by the sales scheme and was concerned about the automatic withdrawals from my account, so I asked several times whether I could indeed stop the membership at any time within the thirty days. The salesman verified this each time I asked. I was informed I could stop the membership by sending a letter to the address on the contract (which my salesperson marked). So I signed two forms of which I recieved copies: the waiver for potential injury and the actual two year contract.

Several hours later, I recieved a call that my paperwork had not been signed correctly and that I needed to return to sign. I did so and before I had driven more than five minutes away, I recieved another call that I had to refill out the paperwork b/c they could not use the original forms. Fine, I returned again and that was that.

As I am a former collegiate athlete, I worked out on a daily basis for a little over two weeks. However, I wasn't satisfied with the gym. There were a variety of reason, but all in all, I was not satisfied. I wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be any problems with my cancelation so I carefully read the form. While reading, I saw that I had to return my membership card. I was confused b/c I was never given one. I didn't realize you had to check in, and I had been walking straight through the door.

I went to the gym, got a card, went home and mailed a letter with my member id number asking for my membership to be canceled to the address marked on my contract.

Two months later I noticed that OMNI was still withdrawing from my account. I called the ABC financial office (handles OMNI) and explained that I had requested a cancelation. Initially, the woman on the phone told me that my paperwork did not include a thirty day trial so I had signed only the two year contract. I couldn't cancel. I argued, and she began to ask how exactly I sent the cancelation letter. She asked what I included and where I sent it. Once I finished. She replied, "well, it doesn't matter, we didn't get it so there is nothing we can do."

I asked to speak to a manager after this and I recieved the same response.

Today, I spoke with a manager at the OMNI club and was informed that I was supposed to cancel at the gym not by sending a letter. I told him that I was instructed to do so and he said that it didn't matter anyway because their records show I had not worked out at all and the trial form I signed stated I would work out 12 days before canceling. I told him I had not seen the form and he said that I had signed it. I asked to view the form and he said he did not have a copy. Unfortunately it appears no one (including myself) has a copy because that is why ABC financial refused my cancelation. I told him that I did not sign this form, and even if I had, I had worked out my 12 days.

Because I was not given a membership card, I had not checked in for the first two and a half weeks. The manager insists his staff would have stopped me, I guarantee they did not. I even walked in one night to watch the kick off of a Bangal's game without question. I told the manager there was record of me making an appointment with a fitness instructor, but he was unable to look this up at the time and that there was record of me requesting a membership card two weeks after I joined. As with the appointment, he said he did not have access to where this record is kept.

I told the manager it seemed as though it would be better for me to have a lawyer call and I was told to come in on Monday to talk to the person in charge of billing. I asked if it would likely cancel my membership and he said no because I did not have proof of my claims. So again, I told him I thought it would be better to get a lawyer and again he told me to come in.

All in all, it seems as though the OMNI club is making profit off of their clients by not filing the paperwork correctly or by giving false information on how to cancel such that the period of cancelation is over by the time the mistake is caught. I think that if you have to have a lawyer present when joining your gym, it's probably a bad idea. I am currently looking into the legality of what has happened to me.

687493d3, 2007-11-09, 07:20AM CST

I am the general manager, Don allen. This individual never approached me nor have I heard anything about this situation. All agreements used in the state of Georgia for health clubs are written by the state attorney and are exactly the same. The state of Georgia has extremely tough laws regarding gyms. First, by state law, ANY person may cancel their membership for ANY reason during thee first seven days, regardless of how much they have used the facility, equipment, hot water, towels, free training etc... Then our company has added a 30 day money back guarantee in some cases where individuals are unable to make a decision to join, whether they are procrastinating, indecisive or otherwise. It is a short form written in plain english with the rules clearly spelled out. We also offer month to month no contract memberships, so I wonder why someone with this individuals seeming expertise in fitness and choosing gyms would join on the maximum term membership, if they were unsure of our ability to satisfy their needs. Let me add at this point that we are "The Official Health and Fitness Club of The Georgia Bulldogs", voted best health club in Athens 2006 and 2007 in The Athens Banner Herald, have the most (over 7000) members of any gym in the history of Athens and are without question the largest, best equipped, finest staffed, best service and most luxurious facility in a 100 mile radius. Plus have a spotless record with the better business bureau. That said we don't need to "trick" people or "steal" their money.

So in summary, you can either cancel and do, or you can't cancel and don't. I run the facility by the letter of the law, no exceptions. If this individual can show some facts I will be happy to take care of them. If they cannot show facts I will leave things as they are.

196144b2, 2007-11-10, 10:38AM CST

Don't listen to this guys histerics. Obviously he is trying to get something for nothing. I have been a member at The Omni for over 2 years, since before they opened. I have lived in Atlanta, New York and Chicago. I have never been more satisfied with a facility, service, amenities or equipment during my 15+ years of being a member of a gym. I have aslo referred many people to the gym and have never heard of a complaint. Quite frankly if you live in Athens and work out somewhere else, you don't know squat about health clubs. They are the best and I'm sure if they were in the wrong they would take care of a member, especially in a small town. Plus the manager is right, they are afiliated with The University of Georgia, which is the largest most respected organization in town.

eb1db1b0, 2007-12-07, 09:39AM CST

Actually Many people have complained about your gym, as Well as other gyms associated with ABC financial. I was mislead as well in my contract and in order to get me to saign the contract, only to find out later that it was just a little treat that lures you in to the trap. So I do believe that there are many people out there having gyms take advantage of them. There should be a cancellation oppurtunity for bad service and gyms that lure you into a trap, then we'll see if the gyms are going to take advantage knowing that these reasons are possible reason for cancellation.

1d66632b, 2008-01-11, 12:16PM CST

Wow! Sounds like someone has buyers remorse. It seems you have to admit you didn't pay attention or you are trying to get something for nothing if you are going to write this. More of our entitlement society. You joined, you signed, they delivered, you didn't and now you want it to be their fault. I have been a member at Omni for over 2 years and a friend of mine mentioned this complaint to me. Needless to say I spoke to my friend and she ended up joining Omni. She has not stopped gushing praise about the entire experience. My experience with every facet of the Omni has exceeded my expectations. So I felt I needed to write. The other person is right, if you join anywhere else in Athens, Ga you are really missing out. These guys are incredible. They have every phase of the game down pat. Plus they donate huge to local charities which is important for me.

687493d3, 2008-01-11, 02:32PM CST

When you build a $6 million 54,000sq/ft health club in a city that has never seen anything even remotely in the ballpark, you don't have to "trick" people into joining. When you offer month to month memberships, what would be the point? When you sign up 15-20 new happy members per day, what would be the point? Ruin your reputation over 1 membership? "Steal" a few $ from someone, when you have millions?The agreements are clearly written and subject to a consumer reading through and asking as many questions as they want for as long as they want. They are the same agreements used by every gym in the state of Georgia. Fortunately for us over 7,000 people (most likely more than every other gym in the region combined) disagree with this poster. Not to mention the countless non-members who have benefited from our free programming or charitable donations. Don't let one or two people with too much time on their hands that can't even prove they were actually members (probably our competitors) cause you to miss out on our hospitality and by any objective measure the most beautiful facility in a 100 mile radius.

bb96ff4b, 2008-01-15, 09:24AM CST

My friend mentioned this website to me and when I saw this complaint I felt compelled to add a response. My whole life I was a shy overweight woman that never thought she would participate in exercise. A few months ago my son, who has severe learning disabilities, was invited by The Omni to experience their Athletic Dream Day charity with UGA. This will be a life changing event for him and is like "make a wish." It is run completely by the Omni. When I first visited with my son I learned that Omni offers free fitness and nutritional counseling and I decided to participate. They NEVER pressured me to join, just wanted to help. After a couple of weeks under their care I decided to join and I have lost 16lbs in the last 6 weeks. The Omni changed my life for the better and my son's life for the better. They are incredible, not to mention their facility looks like a resort or country club. I feel like a celebrity. I can't imagine the complaint could be true. Why would they do all of this for me and then steal money from someone? Based on what I see they don't need to steal from anyone.

97d7320f, 2008-06-06, 09:42AM CDT

This is simply the finest, most beautiful, well equipped, professionally staffed health club I have ever seen or heard of. I am a college prof. and I prefer to move around frequently. When I took a job at UGA I thought I would be settling for either the over crowded student gym or some dirty little "mom and pop" gym. Well the student facility IS over crowded and ALL of the Omni's competitors are dirty and small. I know the management team well and they would never mistreat a member that was being honest about a situation. I agree with the other posters, this is probably one of the competitors trying anything to hurt the Omni because the Omni is ruining their business with the total superiority of their operation.

5878e1d1, 2008-07-22, 02:43PM CDT

I have had nothing but a wonderful experience since joining the Omni Club. I have been working out at Omni since April 2008. Before joining, I had been working out at the Ramsey Center. Even before that, I worked out at brand-new La Fitness' and Gold Gyms. The Omni Club by far blows the other facilities out of the water. The amenities offered are top of the line. The club also offers over a hundred different fitness classes every week, free to any member. At Ramsey, I had to pay $90 just to take a two time a week kick boxing class.

Not only is the equipment brand new but there is enough machines for everyone! So far, I have never had to wait in line to use anything like I did at Ramsey.

The Omni staff and trainers are wonderful. The front desk is always friendly and helpful when I have questions. I have also had the opportunity to work with several of the trainers and they are very knowledgeable and they really help me reach my workout goals.

Now about the cost, it's totally worth it! Sure you can go to other gyms in Athens and get half the equipment and half the customer service for $19 a month by why not make the most out of your money? Joining the Omni Club while in school at UGA was a great decision and I only wish I had joined earlier.

f5166a54, 2008-07-22, 03:01PM CDT

Since joining the Omni Club in April 2008, I have had nothing but a wonderful experience. I was referred to the Omni Club by friends who were already members. I finally made the trip to the club and was totally blow-away by what I saw inside. The club is beautiful! There is even a bulldog free-climbing rock inside. There is so much equipment and TONS of cardio machines. For me, I worked out at the Ramsey Center before and I always had to wait for machines. At Omni, I never have to wait and I even get to watch tv when I work out because each cardio machine has it's own TV.

The locker rooms are the nicest I have ever seen. The club also has over 100 free fitness classes weekly. This is so nice because it allows me to switch up my workout routines and the instructors are awesome!

The front desk and trainers at Omni are awesome as well. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The trainers are awesome as well. I have been fortunate enough to work with several of the trainers and they really helped me see results.

I totally recommend anyone to join the Omni Club. They are very clear and up front about costs and contracts unlike what was said earlier. Other gyms in the Athens area may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. At the Omni club, you get top of the line facilities and great costumer service. I also like the fact that this gym is active in the community. They have had food drives and dog adoption days at the club, which I love!

ab95cd9c, 2008-09-05, 11:12AM CDT

I think the Omni is a great gym, but ABC financial is a dirty, greedy company. There definitely needs to be more communication between the Omni staff and the ABC- they will tell you contradicting things. I was promised that I would have no penalty for moving, and I am still paying for it...

Many of my friends have had trouble dealing with ABC and terminating their accounts.

6f08c556, 2008-12-20, 06:49AM CST

I have had a similar situation with this club in Athens and would love to know what you've since found out and have done.

Thanks, NW

27acd194, 2008-12-23, 04:08PM CST

To NW. If you are a real person, come see me immediately. I am the General Manager. If you have upheld all the terms of the 30 day Money Back Guarantee we will absolutely cancel you and refund you. If you have not met the terms then unfortunately we will not make exceptions. Read all the numerous comments debunking the complaint listed here. If you are a real member, not our competitor just trying to take shots at us, then we will not rest until you are totally satisfied. Keep in mind there is ONE complaint of this type in the 4 years we have operated in Athens. Our reputation is spotless and we are voted the best gym in Athens every year by the general public, they can't all be wrong.

e4323d8b, 2009-01-27, 08:11PM CST

all you jerks who're saying positive stuff about the gym are obviously affiliated with it. nobody talks like any of those things you keep saying. this is a great example of a business trying to overpower a situation and screwing the individual for profit instead of sitting down and trying to work it out for trouble. Omni's overwhelming tactics don't deserve to work, and the original complainant should have at least as much weight(and hopefully more if businesses can be expected to care anything about customer service) to his argument as the establishment does against it. the consumer does not deserve to lose their voice just because the business that wronged them wants to make an extra whatever a year, but the owners and managers are too uncaring to put any time into any situation that they could just fight and win. it's really more of a large-company problem than a specific "OMNI IS BAD" sort of thing, although again this does provide a fantastic example of a bad business model. most of all salesmen do tricky stuffs like this and it's unfortunate it happened to you. good luck with your uphill battle, trial member. hopefully your lawyer can actually do something.

---

post script: I'm sure "someone" will respond to this comment as if nothing I've said has any basis in truth. they are an employee of some kind, I promise. I just wanted to make the situation more obvious to the people who stumble upon it.

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 06:33PM CST

Lets talk about what is obvious, the last poster either works for an Omni competitor or is REALLY bored. "Stumbled across this...." Well, then I'm sure , in their internet wanderings, they've stumbled upon the countless positive articles, comments and testimonials about this business. Naturally, when a business is large and successful there will be a few complaints. But, this individual clearly has an axe to grind against businesses in general. You can just sense the emotion and lack of objectivity "dripping" from their post. Talk about a fake post, are we supposed to believe the last poster just randomly trolls the internet like a modern day Robin Hood just looking out for the little guy?

I am an Omni member. Please contact me for a true testimonial of the club. The good AND the bad. The club has been open for over 4 years and this in the ONLY compalaint against it anywhere on the internet. Thats pretty darn good in my book, not sure an unbiased non-emotional person could ask for better.

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 06:34PM CST

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 06:37PM CST

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 06:40PM CST

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 06:41PM CST

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 06:58PM CST

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 07:13PM CST

0e481fd9, 2009-02-03, 05:56AM CST

Lets talk about what is obvious, the last poster either works for an Omni competitor or is REALLY bored. "Stumbled across this...." Well, then I'm sure , in their internet wanderings, they've stumbled upon the countless positive articles, comments and testimonials about this business but failed to mention them. Talk about a bogus post, nobody talks like that. Naturally, when a business is large and successful there will be a few complaints. But, this individual clearly has an axe to grind against businesses in general. You can just sense the emotion and lack of objectivity "dripping" from their post. Talk about a fake post, are we supposed to believe the last poster just randomly trolls the internet like a modern day Robin Hood just looking out for the little guy?

I am an Omni member. Please contact me for a true testimonial of the club. The good AND the bad. The club has been open for over 4 years and this in the ONLY complaint against it anywhere on the internet. That's pretty darn good in my book, not sure an unbiased non-emotional person could ask for better. But that is the problem with these anonymous sites. So you'll just have to check The Omni out yourself.

Another Jerk, I guess

0e481fd9, 2009-02-02, 08:25PM CST

I am an Omni member. Please contact me for a true testimonial of the club. The good AND the bad. The club has been open for over 4 years and this is the ONLY compalaint against it anywhere on the internet. Thats pretty darn good in my book, not sure an unbiased non-emotional person could ask for better.

7e383368, 2009-02-27, 11:07AM CST

I am a current member of the Omni. I have heard some good and some bad about the Omni sales people. When I joined I was pressured but I didnt care. I was there for the equipment so I joined up. yes, it is a nice club. Yes, it is reall big. But do you really have to brag about how much it costs and how much money you have? Seems like you are a little full of yourself and your club. Luckily I havent had too many problems right now so I am satisfied and not going anywhere but you really shouldnt brag about how much money the gym makes. Also, I was reading another post about being affilated with UGA. I have a friend that used to be on the sales staff and he told me that Omni pays $70,000/year to be "UGA's official gym." Talk about bogus. Pay me that much every year and you can be my offical gym too.

c66b840c, 2009-02-27, 11:11AM CST

d165df9b, 2009-06-22, 11:45AM CDT

This is all true. Many other gyms do the same thing. I called the Omni Club and was told the same as the other gentleman; come in and sign up for a free trial. A complete bait and switch ripoff. Buyer Beware. Don't be fooled by the GM saying he was unaware of the situation. They are in on the scam as well.

99c988bc, 2009-08-19, 08:54PM CDT

This is a reply to many people, a late reply, but I feel obligated to respond as I made the initial complaint.

My "buyers remorse" was not an issue of money. I had full intentions to join a gym. The issue was the realization that after several knee surgery's you just can't work out like you want. I thought it best to find somewhere I could swim instead. I hate swimming. Which is why I didn't bother at first.

To the defensive members and/or staff at the Omni, I never said the gym was dirty or the machines full. Admittedly, it is quite the opposite. The gym was simply not a good fit for me. Some people enjoy having really loud music when they work out. Unfortunately I'm not one of them, and going in the morning isn't always an option. Some people want a whole lot of cardio. Again, it's pointless if all you find yourself using are the weights. If you want a personal trainer, great, go to Omni. If you don't want to have to hunt down equipment moved all over the place by those trainers during business hours, don't go to Omni. This is not an issue of the gym as a material object. It was the way in which my paperwork and contract were handled.

NW- I never had my situation resolved and I hope the open door offer of Don worked out for you, but I never made it through the line of managers and pointless phone calls.

Don, it was strange to read that no one told you of my situation considering the length of time I spent trying to get someone to help me out (though I noticed that immediately after the post employees were excellent about checking ids). I'm glad you have a 30 day guarantee, but if you have a new employee not well versed in how to set up the contract that it really doesn't mean much.

"We also offer month to month no contract memberships, so I wonder why someone with this individuals seeming expertise in fitness and choosing gyms would join on the maximum term membership"

If you work out that much, why wouldn't you take a maximum term? Though I appreciate the personal attack.

As for the commendations, wonderful, you have a healthy record. So it is unfortunate that I got screwed, b/c someone didn't properly fill out my contract. If you would like I'll stop by and give you the person's name so if you're curious you can see how close their hiring was to my signing.

Either way, this doesn't exactly matter considering my two year contract is nearly up.

57e068c3, 2009-09-17, 01:36PM CDT

I am currently dealing with a cancellation issue with Omni. My spouse and I were members of an Augusta, GA Omni and enjoyed it -until it came time for us to PCS (we are a military family).

On speaking with the club staff we were told to cancel we would need to fax a written cancellation to ABC Financial. I did so in February. We then received no notices of any kind from Omni until July when we were told we owed back payments.

My spouse spoke on the phone with ABC Financial and was told to fax again. They did so.

I just received (past the collections date, conveniently) a note from Omni/ABC that if said letter wasn't acted on by a couple of days ago that we would be put to collections for money owed AFTER FEBRUARY *AND* AFTER JULY.

I was more than happy to pay the money I owed while attending the gym, but the stories aren't adding up... the first fax in February went through fine yet isn't in their records, I didn't get another notice until around June-July when they turned out to still be trying to bill us, one person there admits to receiving our July cancellation, but the paper they send me says I still owe for August, and now I am getting hung up on during 3/4 times trying to pay and just end all this... with the one time I got through being told I'm "not in the system yet".

2b7e8d58, 2010-02-17, 02:03PM CST

The exact same thing happened to me. I received a 30 day guarantee. I told my salesperson that I did not think that I could afford a membership nor would I have the time. He offered me a 30 day guarantee and said that I had to workout 12 times and if I still did not like it I could cancel and get my money back. I told him that I probably could not make it in 12 times that I was extremely busy. He said that I should just try it and that even if I did not work out 12 times I could still cancel, I just wouldn't get my money back.

As I told my salesperson, I could not make it in 12 times. I went up to the gym to cancel the night before my 30 days were up. I told them that I did not expect my money back but that I did want to cancel. They would not let me cancel. I was told that I would have had to have worked out 12 times to even qualify to cancel.

They set me up with an 800 number to call (ABC Financial) and they informed me that I did not have the option to cancel. I could not even buy out. The only way to cancel was to prove that I had moved 25 miles away from the gym, became permanently disabled, or if I was in the military.

I am still outraged that I was lied to about this tricky 30 day guarantee.

I am not denying that the gym is a very cool one. But their business practices are CROOKED!!!

2fa42de2, 2011-03-07, 12:22AM CST

The Omni Club in Florida and ABC Financial services, Inc. are practicing deceptive, unethical, and out right unlawful business practices. They promised to refund the money and cancel the membership last year 2010, but they are still charging me monthly fee. they oowe me $ 167.48 as of now 3/6/2011.

They came to my work and advertised corporate discount rate of $42.40 and free 2 weeks trial membership. but when i went to the gym they said membership would be $63.54 and "free" membership would cost me $45 something amount. anyhow i had signed up for no-contract monthly membership. I gave them 30 days written notice to cancel on 11/30/2010 and receipt of that letter has been confirmed. but as of now they are still charging me. dealing with The Omni Club and ABC Financial have been my worst nightmare. I'm currently filing complaint agast them with Office of Attorney General. I have spoken with Duke Sherman and Meagan, the managers at Omni. And Whitney x1026 and she'd talke to her supervisor Meg x1131 at ABC Financial but nothing has been done.

f772c036, 2011-05-19, 10:55PM CDT

OMG! I filed for a cancellation Aug 2010. They charged me up until April 2011. I got my cancellation letter certified. Before I told them that the letter was certified, they were trying to say they didnt receive it. As of now, I have a voice recording saying they will give me my refund once the money has been put back into some account. Well that has not happened yet. I have called back twice regarding this issue. Actually I came across this site in a search for the contact number. I'm gonna store it in my phone and set an alarm to go off every monday until it is RESOLVED!! I feel like they want me to forget about everything.

OMNI is a very nice gym. Loved every minute there. However, another opportunity came up at a UNIV gym with the works (more group classes, pools, indoor track, rock climbing wall, indoor soccer, and the list goes on)for 10.00!! Cant beat that.

I will tell everyone about my horrible exp if i am asked.

Captain A., 2013-01-04, 12:37AM CST

The problem is the sales persons are illiterate! When you pay some one minimum wage plus commission to push memberships, they will tell you anything to get you to sign the dotted line. It's the same with Golds Gym, they too use the same ABC Financial service company to process the payments you make.

Do what I always do! Record the conversation you have with the sales person, inform them you are doing so as its illegals to tape someone without their consent. If they wont let you record the deal that should be an instant red flag! Then when the time comes and the problems arise, and they will be ause ABC Financial is incompetant, contact your state attorneys office or the State Dept of Consummer Affairs and file a breech of promise complaint. You WILL get action as I have successfully done this with Golds gym when I TDY ED with the army and they tried to refuse my cancellation request. It worked!

These outfits that use ABC will screw you no matter what they claim in the statements on this page! The Manager in Athens that claimed all you need to do is come see me and "if" you done everything right on your end then cancellation wouldn't be a problem, and yet the poor fellow still struggled to quit the gym and reclaim his funds! What does that mean if you "done everything right", common man, your a multi billion dollar company, take care of your customers, put the steroids down and use your brain. Don't blame the consumer, take care of him and maybe your reputation will improve! I will say that regardless of it all, ABC is a sorry outfit! Omni, Golds, and the other businesses that use ABC should consider using a local accounting agency, but wait, that would put the Washington folks out of their billion dollar homes they live in by screwing the Soldier that was transferred or the guy that couldn't use the services any longer due to a knee injury, or the poor single mom that was conned into joining only to discover she was lied too about the low monthly fees. It's kinda fu,,,,,Ed up the money you pay these cats leaves the community and basically pays for the Multi million dollar bonuses the big cats in Washington and Wall Street get for screwing people. Support your local gym, it may not be as glamorous but at least the money stays in the communities. The big machines will be the death of us all!!!

The problem with these people is they just don't care!

fcb6f12d, 2013-01-31, 12:07AM CST

Without going into much detail I have had very similar experiences with ABC and the omni gym in Athens. The salespeople tell you one thing while ABC tells you quite another. I liked my personal trainer, he was excellent, however the people at the front desk were RUDE,and did not know what ABC was telling me and called me a liar when I told them what ABC was saying. This has kept me from ever going back.Terrible experience.