Funai Corp - Magnavox 3 in one combo is a lemon, Funai customer service is a joke

Posted on Tuesday, November 20th, 2007 at 11:42am CST by 635b52a0

Product: Magnavox MWC24T5B

Company: Funai Corp

Location: 19900 Van Ness Ave
Torrance, CA, 90501, US

URL: http://www.funai-corp.com /

THIS IS MY THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST THIS Previous posting# 151181 and 151704 have been removed for unknown reasons. On 9/26/2006 I purchased a Magnavox multi combo TV unit (Model#MWC24T5B) at Wal-Mart. On 7/15/2007 the television no longer would turn on. I called the 800 number for Funai Corp., and was told to bring the unit to a service center. The service center they referred me to was out of business. I called Funai Corp again to get another service center listing. I received 3 more listings, of which only one was still in business.

On 8/7 I took the TV to EPITEK Service Center in Garden Grove, and by 8/14 EPITEK made the evaluation that the TV could not be repaired. I contacted Funai Corp on 8/15 and faxed them the work order stating the TV was irreparable, and Fernando at Funai stated they would have to investigate the matter themselves, and arranged to pick up the TV and return it to Funai.

On 8/16 I spoke with Deanna at FUNAI, who advised me they would call the service center to arrange a pickup, she put me on hold and I was disconnected after holding 7 minutes. I called back and spoke to Tasha, who transferred me to Jasmine, who put me on hold 18:46 minutes, and then hung up on me. I called back and spoke to Roxanne who put me on hold 17:47 minutes and told me to call back the following day and hung up. I called back, and reached Alex, who put me on hold 30 minutes before telling me they had arranged to pick up the TV from EPITEK in 7 days (8/24, Thursday.)

On 8/30 I called Funai and spoke to Charles (supervisor #514) who confirmed the scheduled pick up date was 8/24, but he did not see the TV had been received in to the warehouse. He stated that normally it takes 24 to 48 hours after pick-up for them to receive the merchandise in. I reminded him at that point it had been 96 hours. He said there was nothing he could do to speed up the process, all he knew is they don??t have the TV. I asked him if he could track the TV??s progress, and he stated he QUOTE didn??t want to get involved. END QUOTE He then stated he had to end the call if I had no further questions, bid me good day and hung up on me.

On 9/5, 9/6 and 9/7 I was not able to reach a call center rep at Funai. The message stated for 3 days the lines were busy and disconnected me.

On 9/10, I spoke with Brian, who informed me they sent a shipping kit to EPITEK service center on 8/28 (4 days after the promised pick up date.) Brian stated as of 9/7 they show my TV arrived in the warehouse and it will be AT LEAST a one month wait. I advised Brian two weeks had passed since the original promise date, so 1 more month was not acceptable. I asked for his supervisor, Brian put me on hold for 13 minutes. Charles picked up the call, and I asked him about the conversation on 8/30 where he confirmed my TV was picked up on 8/24. Charles stated he did not know what I was talking about. He said it??s not his problem that the service center did not make arrangements to have the TV picked up until Sept. I reminded Charles that on 8/30 he confirmed the pick up was scheduled for 8/24. Charles stated that he QUOTE aint never said dat. END QUOTE Charles stated I will have to wait at least 30 days QUOTE just like everybody else. END QUOTE I asked him what the warranty on their repairs would be, and he stated the original manufacturers warranty applies. My warranty expires on 9/26, I reminded him. They take so long to repair the unit my warranty will expire before I get it back. I asked if they guarantee their repairs; IE if the TV breaks again do they guarantee the work. He stated, QUOTE it aint?? gonna?? leave here broked If it DO break, dats on you END QUOTE I asked to speak to his supervisor, Charles refused. I asked him for the name of his supervisor, Charles stated Louis. I asked for the last name, Charles refused. I asked a second time for the last name, Charles stated, he had QUOTE better things to do than to listen END QUOTE to me. I asked why he won??t give me the name, he stated he answered all of my questions and he will QUOTE wait silently on the line until you finish your rant.END QUOTE I advised him he had NOT answered the question of the supervisors last name, he said QUOTE Are you done yet? END QUOTE

I asked him, QUOTE Are you refusing to assist me? END QUOTE to which Charles answered, Yes. Charles then hung up on me.

FOLLOW UP. I have left 3 messages and have sent 2 letters to Art Dominguez, the claimed Manager of the call center. Mr Dominguez has not returned my calls nor replied to my letters. I received my television, which now has no UHF reception (I do not have cable) and the DVD titled Last Holiday, and the VHS tape You??ve Got Mail that was stuck in the DVD and VCR player when it stopped working were not returned to me. They have not responded to my complaints to the BBB nor the Bureau of Consumer Affairs.

a86c7e8a, 2008-04-04, 07:34PM CDT

What they don't want you to know is that the only resemblence to Magnavox is the name..Funai bought Magnavox and Sylvanis rights and are sticking the names on crap tv's which were/are marketed under the symphonic brand. I had the same problem you have, and my TV repair center said they don't know what to do...they replace a mode relay switch which worked a week, now I have to fight over the money I spent for a tv that ran 3 months...

Is that not criminal...would I not go to jail if I put a Cadillac name on a Ford and sold it as a Cadillac?...Sounds like fraud by deception...

3109a1b8, 2008-04-10, 09:26AM CDT

Boy, this sounds really familiar!

I went through the exact same thing.

I bought one of those Magnavox combo units, and it

stopped working within months.

Of course, after several phone calls, faxes, and even a letter to the VP, customer service never replied.

Maybe Funai Corp will go out of busines.

It would be the only justice we'll get.

No one should treat their customers that way. People spend their hard-earned money on products that stop wworking as soon as the warranty expires.

4d848a01, 2008-04-22, 11:36AM CDT

omg stop complaining god its not the call centers fault

830802a9, 2008-06-07, 03:20PM CDT

I also have had numerous difficulties with

this product, however, I don't play the "hold" game. I'm out $250 and Funai is on my list of companies I will never purchase another product from. Word gets sent out to friends and relatives and it goes, and

goes, and goes.

b0ac49f0, 2008-07-10, 11:01AM CDT

July, 10 2008

Bought a 19MD357B LCD TV built in DVD Player from SAM's Club on 8/23/07 for $357.

TV will turn on, but nothing happens. Cannot turn it off. It came on a few times only after I unplugged it for a minute or so, but now the green light is on but no picture or sound and it won't turn off.

I would appreciate any recommendation what to do

Thankd,

Helmut Harder

7158b409, 2008-11-11, 01:08PM CST

I have a similar problem with a dvd/vcr combo. Bought it 4 months ago as a gift for father in law. He only opened it 2 months ago and found that the picture would not work in vcr mode. After some time on the phone with Kyle and later Rose, I was told to box the unit up and they would have it picked up, giving me all kinds of tracking and repair numbers. Then she broke the news to me that I would have to pay labor for the repairs. I told her to forget it that I would trash it and, hereafter, buy only "real" name brands.

14019234, 2008-12-17, 11:33AM CST

Thank you for posting this. It has told me a great deal about how insolent you are. How much are you in love with your TV that you will wait on hold forever just to ask someone when it's going to be picked up? The agent was not required to give you the supervisor's last name. What do you need the last name for? You have his ID number, are you trying to find out where he lives to kill him or something? Finally the BBB is not concerned with your missing VHS. This is all your fault for going cheap and not going with Sharp, Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic. Next time do everyone a favor and buy a good TV, and when you break it, fix it your self! Funai Sucks!

3c218746, 2009-01-02, 09:10AM CST

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. I am not happy with the customer service either. They took their sweet time and then are so rude if you ask question after their question. Product lasted 3 months and 3 months later i am still trying to get a repair on my tv from wally world. i should have known. they even hung up on me, rashell 75919. they are terrible customer service. could not get another person in charge (her boss), they work the system to their advantage very well. hoping we will not persue it.

ce525f41, 2009-01-21, 10:13AM CST

I have the same tv and i an still waiting 12 weeks later. The tape player starting tearing tapes.Funai deemed unrepairable.This is my second Magnavox less than a year old. I will never buy another one of their brands again. They don't care about their customers.I don't know if i will ever get a tv replacement. Ethel in Ohio

6ac6e6e7, 2009-01-22, 06:30AM CST

tapes doint rewind

9f4def99, 2009-02-05, 10:16AM CST

I have very similar expereince with Funai customer service after I bought their Magnavox TV conveter box which only worked for a few months and then suddening stopped working. I have talked to at least 15 of their reps and manager Richard batch#1468 so far and have been told to wait and wait, just getting endlessly transferred and wait and transfered and wait and told to call back for yet another status check after another once the wait time exceeded 3 months, one whole month beyond their 60 days standard wait time after I returned their unit. Yes, Funai's customer service is a total joke. Any half decent company who stand behind their product and services would not have a customer waste a few hours on the phone with over 15-20 reps just to be given the same run around and a bunch of useless excuses and not to have anyone to follow up for the customer for real resolution. They sell crap product and when it breaks, they play such a riduculous stall game and offer no solution untill you get fed up and just give up on trying to get them honor their product warranty. I will never buy any product from this company ever again.

e471318c, 2009-02-05, 10:20AM CST

640d620c, 2009-07-09, 07:20PM CDT

I HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE HAPPENED TO ME ON 7-9-09;MY DVD/VHS COMBO COMPONENT STOP PLAYING.I CALLED EVERYDAY TRYING TO TALK TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE,THEY KEPT PUTTING ME OFF.WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND SEE CAN WE GET OUR PRODUCT REPLACED.I PAID TO MUCH MONEY FOR MY SET;

IT STOP PLAYING IN LESS THAN A YEAR!ALSO I SPOKE WITH THE CROSS MGR,GEOFFRY HUNTER HE ALSO GAVE ME THE RUN AROUND.