Hampton Bay Redington III Fan Remote Control Module Overheats

Posted on Friday, May 25th, 2007 at 9:03pm CDT by b9302676

Company: Hampton Bay Redington III Fan Remote Control Module Overheats

I bought this fan in Dec 2001 and installed in April 2002 in our master bedroom. It always had noise and vibration problems due to the way the the lamp glasses are secured. That, however is not the main concern. Today at approximately 8PM EDT I smelled the characteristic smell of an electrical device starting to burn. I traced the smell to the Hampton Bay Fan. The cover over the remote control was hot. The fan was on and the lamps were off. I tried to turn off the fan with the remote but got no response. I turned the fan off by the wall switch. I waited a moment and turned the power back on. At first nothing happened and then the fan started by itself. I shut it down again and took off the cover.

The remote control was melted and the smell was nearly unbearable. It is only by chance that this happened while we were home and awake. It is within the realm of possibility that we could have died in our beds under that fan. Just the night before we were out of town and our 18 year old daughter and all our dogs were sleeping in that room. I don't know if she would have been awakened or have been overcome by the fumes and I'm sure subsequent fire.

(I also have another Hampton Bay fan that has a failed remote control. This one was a replacement for one I bought that had a defective remote control right out of the box.)

This product is dangerous. Anyone reading this that has a Hampton Bay Remote Control Fans should power it down and never use it again. I have legal counsel on retainer and I am not done with this by a long shot. Home Depot will be hearing from me the first but not the last time tomorrow.

Charles B. Porter

c2cc8706, 2008-05-29, 06:03PM CDT

I just got back from home depot complaining about the same issue. My son was going to bed and attempted to turn his fan on. Smoke began to fill his bedroom and I ran for the breaker. When I removed the fan from the ceiling I noticed that the remote receiver (yellow box located in the fan) was melted. Glad you and your family are safe! Home Depot said that this was the first time hearing of a problem such as this.

64387a70, 2008-10-09, 01:07PM CDT

I'm sorry to say this to you but your attent to collect monetary compensation for what is a defective part will NOT go far. What The Home Depot will do is give you a gift card with the value of another fan. Or you can stop the dramatic writting and Contact the ACTUAL manufacturer, Chien Luen Industries AKA King of Fans at:1-800-330-3267 for a complementary replacement.

feca1794, 2011-01-04, 02:07PM CST

yup my hampton bay control module has its capacitors fused together..model number UC7051R(control module #).is large white 5 bladed fan..with remote

7af75792, 2012-06-23, 10:16AM CDT

OMG YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! We have had the same issue!!! Our remote receiver box is completely melted and burned!!! this is incredibly dangerous. Home Depot didn't seem to care much to help us out at all!!!

f27d2c7b, 2012-06-23, 01:59PM CDT

I have a 52in Harbor Breeze Crosswinds and my remote reciever also burned out. (after one year)