Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote Receiver Problem

Posted on Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 at 9:04am CDT by 7b2b6a84

Company: Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote Receiver Problem

I purchased a Hampton Bay Redington IV 52" ceiling fan from a Home Depot in Carol Stream, IL about a year ago, installed it, and all worked well until suddenly the fan and light kit stopped working as though it was disconnected. I checked for electric current to fan with a mult-meter and found that current was flowing from the circuit feeding the fan. I then suspected the remote receiver might be burned out so I removed it and wired the circuit directly to the fan and the fan started working again. So the remote receiver burned out after about one year of use! I went back to Home Depot to look for a replacement part and found they wanted about $40 for a new receiver and hand-held control unit. Decided that was ridiculous and decided to just quit using the remote feature, which by the way didn't really work all that well anyway. I believe Hampton Bay needs to redesign that remote receiver unit to work better and to last a lot longer than 1 year! I have had ceiling fans last for nearly 20 years without failure - not sure that I will touch Hampton Bay fans again.

18572b64, 2008-06-14, 02:01PM CDT

same thing happened to me

18572b64, 2008-07-06, 07:58PM CDT

very helpful and i agree.

8d0769e1, 2008-07-11, 10:01PM CDT

i have the same problem that you are having. seems to be no help from hampton bay. i do not what anymore hampton bay products

63e3ccad, 2008-08-11, 08:41PM CDT

I am having similar trouble with my fan. The electrican told me that the receiver was bad after checking out the remote and "settings". My dog ate part of the remote, but the red light still goes on. My model UC70s1R) does not have a chain and it works off the remote once the light switch is in the on positon. I can't seem to find any help from Home Depot or Hampton Bay. How does you fan work without the pull cord, or does it have one?

Thanks SBApple

391c1a84, 2008-09-23, 06:18PM CDT

I have had a Hampton Bay Northport III 52" ceiling fan & the wireless remote quit after 1 year also!!!!!!!!!!!! So much for wireless!

04718625, 2002-01-01, 02:44AM CST

I have 6 hamton bay fans- all with remotes, I have install receivers in all of them and now 3 are gone again. These fans are 5 years old. Home Depot was no help-Had many problems getting replacement parts. Hampton bay number is 1-800-330-3267.

d226550f, 2009-09-02, 03:23PM CDT

I have TWO Hampton Bay fans that also stopped responding to their remote controls - one about a year ago and the other just last week. I have an old home and there is no switch so I'm SCREWED. I need to find a new receiver or replace the entire fan. NOT COOL, Hampton Bay. Both failed shortly after the warranty expired.

1cc47ed6, 2010-01-30, 02:02PM CST

can't get reciver to fit in canopy

8c6df6ba, 2010-01-31, 10:57AM CST

Same thing. Have three fans, one stopped responding to the remote, programmed that remote to another fan worked great. So the reciever is shot in less than a year and a half. The walmart of ceiling fans...

f685d293, 2010-04-23, 02:53AM CDT

I had the same problem and did the same exact thing you did so I agree; Hampton Bay remote receiver for the 54" Cassaro ceiling fan need to be design to last more than just a year or two. I bought two remote fans and one lasted a year and a half and the other lasted two years. So, now I re-wired them to only operate the lights because the light were more inportant than the fan in the locations I installed them. I saw some recievers for 19.95 on ebay so I'm gonna buy two and try them. If those fail shortly after installation, I'm done with it.

30ac2d5b, 2010-04-30, 09:15AM CDT

I had the same problem with a 2 year old Hampton Bay fan.I will never buy their products again.

a01294f8, 2011-01-02, 11:34AM CST

We had the same problem with our Hampton Bay fan as well. It was installed and in less than one year, it just quit working. We had an electrician come over and check it out and it turns out it is the receiver for the remote. I'm not impressed because I don't have a switch to hook it up to, so I have no choice but to either buy the new receiver or replace the whole unit. Trying to decide which would be the better course of action...

2e895ea8, 2011-09-22, 01:15PM CDT

Having the same problem with Hampton Bay- the light quit working- I went to Home Depot and they do not carry the 9 inch bulbs. They did not know who did. I finally found a bulb after many phone calls. I replaced the bulb which did not fix the problem and then the fan quit working-you have to try and find the light bulb yourself- which is hard to do- they told me the new models don't use the 9 inch light so they don't carry them.

I won't purchase their products again.