2000 Nissan Sentra - Catalytic Converter

Posted on Monday, March 12th, 2007 at 12:33pm CDT by da180ee2

Company: 2000 Nissan Sentra - Catalytic Converter

Route 22 Nissan

Hillside, NJ

Ever since 2003 I have had problems with my Sentra. I took it to the dealer who originally reset the computer, but the mechanic told me that it looked lik the "cat" was going. Since the dealership is not local, I asked if I could go to a Nissan dealer closer to my home. Lynnes Nissan - Bloomfield, NJ. They stated that even though we knew what the problem was we would still have to have a diagnostic done and pay for it. When we said that we would take the car back to the original dealer, they said that they would just reset the computer and when they did it showed nothing wrong.

I took the car back to the Hillside dealership that I bought it from. They now in turn told me that I needed Oxygen sensors @ $200 + each. This is insane. I had the work done.

Now, in 2004 the car was acting the same as it did in 2003. Took it to the dealer who told me that I again needed Oxygen sensors, very conveniently 13 months after the first ones (warranty is only good for 12 months).

In 2005, I was having the same issues and felt that I could no longer trust the Nissan diagnostic. I brought to an independent mechanic for my diagnostic. I was given the codes P 0300 and 420 and 430. At that time the independent mechanic told me that he would be more than happy to replace the "cat" that was defininitely needed, but that it should be covered under Federal law for 80,000 or 8 years and that my dealership has to honor that. I was also told "don't let the dealer ship give you a load of B.S., they always tell people that it is the Oxygen sensors, coils or mass air flow sensor.

I argued with Route 22 Nissan, who gave me an estimate of $2400 worth of work to get the car repaired properly. I told them that under no circumstances would I pay that kind of money when it should be covered. I still owed money on the car and that the car would not be worth the expense. In 2005, coils, were replaced, Mass Airflow sensor, spark plugs, etc. In the beginning of 2006, the care was doing the same thing again.

The car was taken for an indenpendent diagnostic test was again showed the same codes. I immediately called Route 22 Nissan and demanded to speak with the Manager of the Service Dept. I was told that it was not the "cat" again and to have some other minor sensors replaced. I like a fool did it. I had the car back for two days and it was acting up again. The care was brought back to the dealership and after much yelling and screaming, they said that they would look further into the problem. I was at that time offered a free rental car, (it still cost me $25.00 for insurance) and was not convenient. They called me back a day or two later to let me know that they would be replacing the "cat" but that I would have to pay to have two of the four oxygen sensors. I informed then that I seriously doubted that.

My mechanic informed me that the "cat" usually comes with the coil packs and sensors on it already.

The dealership called to inform me that my car was now ready and that I was so lucky that the sensors that I would have to pay for were accidentally damaged by the mechanic when he removed the "cat" and that I now would not be responsible for the cost. (Very interesting).

Upon picking up my car, I was asked to throw away the survey that Nissan sends out and not complete it. They even gave me a $10 gas card and washed my car.

Now, again 13 months later, my car is doing it again. I get the same rotten egg smell and it the car sputters and wants to die out. Of course, Route 22 Nissan says it is not the "cat" (You know Lemon Law and all, my car is 7 years old and has 79,542 miles on it, just 458 miles short of running out the 80,000 federal mandate.) this time it is the coil again. Told them that the coil was just replaced last year, they told me that very conveniently the coils I had replaced were on Cylinder 1 & 2 and now this was Cylinder 3. Now come on.

Nissan used to be the most reliable car on the road. I love my little Sentra but this is insane, either correct the problem or give me another car.

3229dbb6, 2009-09-29, 06:07PM CDT

I agree with you my husband is now dealing with the same thing and we have been trying to figure out the same thing and everyone we know have said the same thing to us its the "cat" but they all said that there are two of them and would be very expensive to repair. Except we dont have that kind of money to get it done.

3229dbb6, 2009-09-29, 06:07PM CDT

f4a471f9, 2012-05-23, 10:14PM CDT

I found this in researching the P0420 (cat underperforming) code that my 2000 Sentra is now throwing after having replaced a bad coil. I guess I'm lucky that it took >10 years to rear up on me. I too love my zippy little Sentra, but it's hard to justify a $900 fix that might just lead to more fixes...