Northshore Publishers Service

Posted on Monday, July 2nd, 2007 at 6:03pm CDT by 499fd67e

Company: Northshore Publishers Service

I got an invoice today from Northshore Publishers Service, 30 Eastern

Ave, Malden, MA 02148 for a subscription to TV Guide.

They called me at home and offered me TV Guide at .99 an issue plus a

free subscription to Gourmet. They said I'd have a payment of $48.98.

I even said, "This sounds too good to be true, what's the catch?" No

catch they assured me. But a letter arrives today and I discover it is

for 156 issues, and the bill is for $195.92! That is four installments

of $48.98.

I have been trying to call the number listed on the invoice to cancel

and all I get is a message.

I called my credit card company and said I would decline any more

charges from the company and I am writing them a letter. I can't find

the company on the internet to send an e-mail, but I found you.

=20

Thanks for listening,

Nancy Stillwell

bd9a73b3, 2009-02-04, 10:06AM CST

I had the same thing happen. I have tried writing to them to cancel twice, but they did not cancel and kept billing me. Then they started calling. They would not discuss this with me, but instead would only talk to my husband. Due to the time difference, it was hard to connect until they finally called us at 5:30am! They still say they haven't received my last payment and want me to pay 2 more payments before they will cancel. If you are reading this before you get caught by them-Stay away!!!

6ffe263d, 2009-08-17, 07:40PM CDT

Hello,

The same thing has happened to me.

I have been calling the number they listed for 3 hours straight and no one answers.

I want to cancel this subscription!!!

I received my invoice and it was for five installments of $32.22 each.

Shari Budach

Albert Lea, MN

9ac54521, 2010-07-16, 02:19PM CDT

Hello,

I need a nubber to call Northshoe.

My Mom who is 93 somehow signed up for all these magazines and they are auto debiting her account!

She has no paperwork or any idea how this happened!

Betty

e mail [email protected]

db83ce31, 2011-08-03, 07:39PM CDT

I have dealt with this NorthShore Publisher Company several times in the last couple of years and they never answer their phones or return phone calls to the consumers. They called my elderly father again on 7/12/11 while I was at work after I have told them to remove my dad from their call list. They sold him more magazines and the tv guide for a total of $205.98.I have called them several times in the last two weeks with no success. I called my bank and they have already taken a payment via an online check that they processed from their end without my authorization. I'm working with my bank to stop future withdrawels and to get the $34.33 back that they just took out on 7/21/11. This company should be reported to the Better Business Bureau for fraudulent activity. Buyer's Beware!!!!! I hope they can't sleep at night knowing they rob people and take advantage of the elderly.... All I can say is that God is watching them, so I don't have to stress out on this matter too much. Shame on them.....

bd4c97a1, 2011-08-04, 11:10AM CDT

Thank you for the information. I thought there was something suspicious about this and you saved me from sending them any money!!!

28747c83, 2011-11-06, 12:09AM CDT

My mother also got into this but I pay her bills. I found out about it and told her I wasn't going to pay a dime to this company. It sounded like it was ripping her off. First they wanted $37.88 for 6 mos. That is $260.00 and I told her to go directly to the magazines for a lot less than that. I just paid TV guide $57.00 for 1 yr. I could get a 2 yr subscription cheaper than that through TV guide. They were also offering her Readers Digest. I could get that for $15.00 through their website. I'm glad that I also read your comments and complaints. I'm glad I didn't send them any money.

273ff46c, 2002-03-17, 02:59PM CST

i rec this bill for a subscription i nevererd also see many other people have rec bills for high amts of monethe phone 3IS bogus says not in order im getting in touch with the att genral of upstate ny we will see whats going on

marjorie fusco

acct #yr9047390-9

get me off this not i am not interested

ef5ffc4b, 2013-01-10, 02:33PM CST

i have already notified you twice, now this is it! i am turning this over to my attorney. why do you think you can harass someone who isn't even living anymore. he died in 2008. it is not my fault that your employees are sooo screwed up that they continued sending tv guides to a DEAD person. Account # YR905340-6. GOOD LUCK COLLECTING FROM A DEAD MAN! How about I start sending you papers to appear in court because you are being sued! How 'bout that!!!

024c3ddc, 2013-10-13, 12:19PM CDT

I received a call from North Shore Publishers. I thought it was about renewing T V Guide.Then I started receiving,Magazines OK,ENTREPRENEUR,SHAPE,NATURAL HEALTH.I have never heard of these,and I do not want them. How did I get signed up for something I never heard of? I want out of all this nonsence!

22b81af9, 2014-02-14, 12:42PM CST

Someone needs to stop these people they did the same thing to my mom

9ad62c07, 2014-05-19, 07:23AM CDT

Rude and discourteous are only two of numerous words I would use to define my telephone communications with Northshore Publishers. Not sure how they accessed my personal demographic information, including my VISA account number, but I inadvertently agreed to renew my subscription to TV Guide for a one year period. I did NOT check my cover of TV Guide to see that I still had another 18 months on my current subscription. When I got a billing-confirmation notice from Northshore, I decided to call them and cancel. The first response from one of their employees was "How did you get this phone number?" After attempting to cancel my subscription this person hung up on me. When my VISA bill came, I noted a charge of $34.33. I contacted VISA to dispute this charge. VISA is investigating. Again, I contacted Northshore and in my attempt to cancel the TV Guide subscription "with several FREE" subscriptions to several other unwanted magazines, I was hung up on a second time. Again, not sure how Northshore accessed my personal demographic information, especially my VISA account---but this appears to be a NOT TOO HONEST ORGANIZATION!!!! BEWARE if they contact you!!! Jim Lather

Terry V. B., 2016-01-22, 01:05PM CST

I was contacted by phone and offered a renewal on my subscription. I understood it was for 39+ dollars. I did agree. I now have my invoice and it is for 6 payments of 39.41. I do not want the publication as it is too expensive for Social Security. Please cancel and refund.

Loki .., 2016-01-24, 12:36PM CST

Northshore Publishing (and other names, James Galli, owner)

Phone: (781) 322-1224

Aside: I'm not sure why anyone would buy TV Guide magazine when the content is freely available online, but there's so much advertising in it, some sales channels exist that practically give away subscriptions, in addition to free mobile app's. The business history and decay into another money losing operation led to the successors to what had been a Triangle Broadcasting side business several owners ago, splitting several ways online and in print, such that not all "TV Guide" branding is the same company now. Scam renewals and deceptive "discount" pitches likely spend under $10 a year per subscription when they sell for many times that.

What's been reported here isn't just abusive customer service. It reflects illegal activities Federally under DoNotCall.gov (FTC) rules, and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violations, plus Postal Fraud (which is handled by the Postal Inspector's office, not by Postmasters as some guides suggest), which can be Googled and local region contacts identified. Victims might contact the law firm hosting a Class Action suit against the Boston rented office space crooks, as noted below. Also, state consumer fraud or marketing laws in various states could allow private suits, or state AG actions.

The law firm of James, Hoyer, Newcomer, and Smiljanich, P.A. has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of a Clearwater, Florida woman against North Shore Agency, Inc.

North Dakota AG Wayne Stenehjem issued a cease and desist order against Northshore Publishers (also doing business as Northshore Publishing and North Shore Marketing) and owner John Galli personally, for alleged violations of North Dakota's consumer fraud, do not call, and home solicitation laws.

That means that company is now banned from sales or advertising in that entire state, and likely violates similar laws of many other states. All that's needed are enough properly structured complaints to trigger enforcement.

The scammers at the Boston Better Business Bureau give them an "A" rating, as that crooked business sugar coating scam treats 15 complaints, many of outright criminal business practices, as closed and so signs of a good business. How does one "close" having perpetrated illegal acts or willful frauds, as if they never happened if you play the BBB game right? Even a 100% refund means the illegal act was perpetrated up front, and cannot be undone.

Magazine sales scams are prolific, especially targeting lists of elderly more likely to kill trees rather than use free online services. The Nation magazine even posted an educational warning about fake renewal and sales scams for its magazine, and identifying its authorized telemarketing house, and EBSCO (that goes back to my grandfather dealing with them) as legitimate agents.

Note how that article suggests complaints to the state AG's where the scofflaw business is located. In most cases, complaints can also be filed in one's own state, and Federally, and in some cases private civil litigation filed. If one filed a Federal credit and debt law case, a Federal Do Not Call violation case, and a state DNC or consumer fraud case, in local courts, and then seek enforcement at the location of the crooks in MA, that can add up to serious penalties if those cases use lawyers who specialize in those actions, and use legal process that adds costs and fees of counsel to damages awards. Victims might get $1,000 to $25,000 depending on details, but that could add legal fees of $5,000 to $100,000, making a few hundred such hardball playing victims able to crush John Galli (or similar con artists) out of business, under whatever corporate or alias names.

Generally to collect you need a court order in the location of the assets to be seized, but that's usually a routine "rubber stamp" process if judgments in one's own location exist. Suits for damages, where relevant, are also better to file at the location of the victim when allowed, and not at the location of the scammer, as that imposes the cost of remote counsel for each such case where corporate or retained counsel are distant, or makes default judgments more likely.

Contract terms that ban Class Action suits or specify jurisdictions convenient to scammers, or in states with weak consumer protection laws, may exist and can often be voided. It's unlikely such terms that may be printed in microscopic size on a bill were presented in full during a telemarketing Do Not Call scam, while some courts have held use of such terms to impose obstacles on other malicious and willful illegal practices violate public policy, and so are void. It's even common for corrupt lawyers to design contract boilerplate they know is illegal, expecting many valid claims can be blown off with lies about customers having agreed to inherently illegal terms.

All that noted (and much of which applies to a wider range of scammers), why buy a TV ad laden magazine that can't be customized to one's own needs?

Hundreds of magazines can be had for free via local libraries and Zinio or similar systems, for online reading or download to PC's or tablets, and others at discounted prices from a "legitimate" sales channel. There's still a need for a local library card, even for those of us who rarely visit dead tree libraries. Among that, my personal dead tree and e-Books collections, trade rags, personal network of intelligent friends sharing stuff, and online info streams, it's all too easy to get a year of new reading a day of quality info, plus plenty of junk to reject.

Many CATV's link to TitanTV.com. IMDB is owned by Amazon, and has their user base, plus ties to Prime video, whose annual cost including lots of other discounts and services isn't much higher than some pay for a magazine alone. Several pretty good online and tablet suited app's exist "free" (ads aplenty), that can customize local stations to Zip code and satellite or cable providers, but I've yet to find an ideal one where I split between two markets over the air, don't pay absurd rates for cable or satellite, do have a Roku box, two "smart" streaming systems in Sony and LG BluRay or Home Theater systems, and share my Prime ($73 including other stuff on a promo) with a friend who has "to go" logins for a major obnoxious cable megopoly (HBO, NatGeo, etc). Also a 4 tuner cloud/LAN TV box that acts like a DVR and sets up personal mobile access, that cost less (forever or until ATSC 3.0 4k changes tuner needs) than some pay for one month of cable.

It's hard enough finding electronic app or Web based program guides to customize that mix, of around 50 OTA TV channels and subchannels, and 100 plus streaming services some with a single freed, others with 2 to thousands each, of international local TV, movies, special focus topics, etc. Paper just can't keep up, even if they paid us $50 cash to take it.

Because the nature of reality has changed so much, that makes TV Guide sales a predatory scam overall even if they charged doctor's waiting room discount rates around $5 a year, that prey on elderly who haven't adapted to OTA (over the air) now being dwarfed by OTT (FCC defined term, "Over the Top" video delivery) and online streams. Obviously people who aren't navigating those systems aren't likely to answer a DoNotCall violation and think as I do, either hang up, or if convenient, pretense a gullible victim and ask questions in a way that's time consuming and allows taking notes as forensic evidence for civil and criminal and regulatory complaints. And follow up on them if the scammers let out enough details to be possible to enforce.

That's consuming and takes focus, but is needed from more of us to protect less skilled or declining victims. Since I cared for (now long since deceased) parents and still get regular calls for all the usual stuff, Medicare funded and not, it's pretty clear there's a high level of crooked operations needing to be shut down. Not just one odd bad account handling here and there.

I've also shut down two regulated industry corporations as a Federal whistleblower and filing of tech and law focused complaints personally, and contributed via analysis of tech services being used to attack victims to FTC top 100 annual cases in 2 of the last 5 years, after pretensing a victim for "Microsoft Technical Support", or doing forensic analysis of a friend's PC with a Facebook ad affiliate network delivered malicious content attack, that relied on social engineering of tricked users who don't recognize what's on their screens accurately. That all requires specific knowledge and skills, including how to pretense complying with scammer instructions while not allowing them remote access, or where to push buttons in regulatory law. YouTube documentaries suggest a bunch of us are doing that, but very few at that level (it's not good to risk malware infections if you don't know how to pretense common business software errors). It'd be nice to see more people taking a legal sledge hammer to the simpler types of crooks begging to be shut down, as there's plenty to go around.