Complaint about the Gold Canyon Candle Co.

Posted on Monday, January 1st, 2007 at 10:07pm CST by d8c7a14d

Company: Complaint about the Gold Canyon Candle Co.

Category: Home, Garden

Hi we recieved a Gold Canyon Candle Co. Clean Sheets Candle as a gift. We took it home and lit it. Within a short period of time we noticed our children had soot all in their nostrils. We also had soot in our nostrils and felt nauseated and had headaches. We blew out the candle and noticed our sofa and chair which originally were white, were now grey and the counters in the kitchen (another room that the candle wasn't in) were covered in grey soot. This candle is dangerous and damaging to your home. We have inclueded pics of our sofa, we keep a quilt over most of the sofa so you can see where there is a definite line from where the quilt covered and the soot landed. Sincerely, Wyndi

aa8c1b3c, 2007-11-07, 09:48AM CST

WOW, couldn't have been anything else? I have been burning gold canyon in my house for 10 years and I never had one issue with them. Hopefully you figure it out. Gold Canyon is the best candle out there. Did you contact the company? Did you do anything before blasting their company online? Seems there could have been better ramnifications.

2647dfb6, 2008-11-15, 07:08PM CST

Dear Wendi, I am so sorry this happened to you but unfortunately these candles do have the affects you mentioned. I am in the candle business and I know for a fact that Gold Canyon Candles have metal wicks and this is what caused the soot and headaches. If you want to burn a clean, safe candle, burn Partylite. They scientifically formulate their candles. They use all cotton wicks and they are safe, and Hazard free. I hope this helps you. I thank you so much for posting this.

21fa4341, 2009-01-23, 05:55PM CST

Wyndi - I have never heard of this! I am a Gold Canyon Demonstrator and an avid user! I love their products and they are of the highest quality waxes and wicks. Gold Canyon uses both zinc core and cotton wicks that are made in the USA. Zinc core wicks pose no known health risk when burned properly. If I may, I would recommend trimming your wicks 1/4" from the wax each time you burn them. This will give you a clean burn and will prevent the black smoke sometimes caused by candles, will prevent a black soot from forming on your candle jar, and will also help the candle to burn evenly. I hope this information is helpful, no matter what candles you burn in the future! Thanks!

5c40d155, 2009-11-15, 10:16AM CST

I read your complaint and I have a Clean Sheet candle from Gold Canyon and I lit it and put it on a white tablecloth for 4 hours and there was no soot anywhere. I think they have the best candles avaiable!

a9d20d79, 2010-03-31, 09:26PM CDT

I burn Gold Canyon Candles and have NEVER had this problem. For there to be that much soot, your candle would have had to been bellowing out pretty heavy smoke and I don't see this happening.

cc11f905, 2010-10-21, 09:38AM CDT

Gold Canyon candles have less soot than the other candle companies in the business. Length of burn time recommendations are up to 3-4 hours. Clip the wick then relight. IF you have not clipped or trimmed your wick to 1/4" you will have soot issues on most wicks. Lead-free wicks are used in Gold Canyon with cotton wraps. Sorry to hear of your incident.

gary l., 2012-10-24, 09:41AM CDT

We had purchased gold canyon candles in the past and never had a problem until our last order.

They must have either had a bad batch or switched suppliers, because there was soot galore from our candle.We sent one to our daughter and had the same problem.

The company does not answer their phones either.

We will never buy gold canyon again

kathy

bddf8c20, 2012-11-05, 01:43PM CST

OMG this happened to us too, it's NOT a bad batch we have shadowing/ghosting on our walls and in our vents etc. it's literally DAMAGED OUR HOUSE! I started burning them last summer and there's black soot all over our counters and bowls etc. I had a plastic shoe holder behind my kids doors and you can see the imprint of BLACK! Where the thing was. My white curtains turned gray. This should be illegal. My kids had black boogers as well as my husband and I. We had the fire dept come in and they DID verify it was the GOLD CANYON CANDLES CAUSING SOOTNAND GHOSTING OFVMY WALLS! You can see black soot coming from my vents etc. there needs to be a lawsuit to pay for damages to people's house and belongings!