Alabama Power

Posted on Wednesday, February 7th, 2007 at 9:19am CST by d887cc73

Company: Alabama Power

I live in Alabama and my power bill has doubled since this time last year. I have not been running my heating and cooling system either. I called Alabama power and of course I got a range of excuses. My kwh has increased but I am doing nothing different. I have new appliances and there is only 2 people living in the house. I didn't notice my bill increasing so much till a house was built next to mine. I know that Alabama power has increased there rates but the increase is well above what the increase is suppose to be.

I am disabled and live on a fixed income. My power bill is not far from reaching what my house payment is and I don't have the money. I have no choice but to turn everything off. I run one space heater now and have turned all the lights off. I was just running 3 space heaters before now. I can understanding it increasing with there price increase but doubling is not right.

a598c58e, 2008-12-08, 03:03PM CST

I hope things are working out for you this year. We live in Mobile and Alabama Power recently came by and threatened to turn off our power on the spot if we did not pay the due amount in full to the utility worker that moment. We ask them if we could run to the bank and drive immediately to the AL Power office to pay. He contacted someone by two-way radio and so we heard her response. It was exactly: "Collect the money from them now or turn them off." In the past Alabama Power had a policy of leaving a door hanger notice giving you two or three business days to pay. Now, in the recession they have changed their policy. I can see turning off your gas or power after you have received a written notice with at least three days to pay, but the new policies of Alabama Power and Mobile Gas show they have no concern for the consumer and only for themselves. People need to get off their grids and use solar and wind power.