DirecTV STATE TAX Rip Off

Posted on Monday, February 26th, 2007 at 1:45pm CST by 928495e9

Company: DirecTV STATE TAX Rip Off

In April of 2006 I had DirecTV installed in my home. Forget the following: The installation was crappy. The installer left dirt, wire pieces and sawdust pushed under my recliner and also under my bushes. Forget that they lied about the "FREE 4 ROOM ACCESS!" The installation may be free, but you have to pay $ 4.99 plus all necessary taxes for any extra installation, beyond the One needed receiver. Forget that unless you know how to order a movie or event the proper way, there is a $ 5.00 extra charge imposed. Forget that unless you are initiating a new order or want to pay your bill, that it's almost impossible to get a US Citizen to answer the phone. Be prepared to talk to India a lot if you have any type of problem. Unfortunately some of the people that answer the phone don't speak English very well. Also, these people apparently are not allowed to stray to far from their prepared scripts. Having talked to and written these people for this length of time, I've learned this much: They consider every complainant "A NUT!" (That's a quote) You get the idea yet?

Now for the RIP OFF INFORMATION! I live in the state of Pennsylvania. In this state we have a 6% Sales Tax, which is due on a lot of items and services. However, not everything. The bottom line is that on the proper items, the sales tax is paid only on the ACTUAL CASH PRICE OR AMOUNT DUE!

As the laws of PA now stand, YOU DO NOT PAY SALES TAX ON ANY DISCOUNTED AMOUNT. YOU DO NOT PAY SALES TAX ON ANY CUPONS DISCOUNTS. BASICALLY, YOU DO NOT PAY SALES TAX ON ANY OF THE DISCOUNTED AMOUNTS. JUST THE "NET AMOUNT DUE."

EXAMPLE: A CAR HAS A LIST PRICE OF $ 25, 000.00. THE MANUFACTURER IS GIVING A BUYERS DISCOUNT OF $ 3,000.00. THE DEALER HAS A SPECIAL DISCOUNT OR BUYDOWN OF $ 2, OOO.00 MORE. THIS BRINGS THE CASH PRICE DOWN TO $ 20,000.00. THE 6 % SALES TAX MUST BE PAID ON THE CASH PRICE OF $ 20,000.00, NOT THE ORIGINAL

$ 25,000.00 OR ANY NUMBER IN BETWEEN.

DirecTV gives a lot of discounts, or "FREE SERVICES." THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THEY ARE CHARGING THE PA SALES TAX ON THE FREE SERVICES OR ITEMS! UNLESS YOU DO THE CALCULATIONS YOURSELF, THERE'S NO WAY TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION.

This company was notified in writing in June of 2006 (A copy is in my files and will be sent to you upon request)) by the state of PA, that they were improperly charging the sales tax on improper items and were also over charging the amount of sales tax due period! Needless to say, they are still using the improper method to charge the amount of sales tax due.

This company was notified by the PA Attorney Generals Office in August 2006 concerning this problem. In their response to this office, they stated that (don't forget that this is Two Months after being notified by the state of PA that they were using improper calculating methods) I didn't know what I was talking about and that they had tried to educate me!

Since this time I have written and or called my local newspaper the Bucks County Courier Times. My state Senator Robert Tomlinson. The Governors Office, Ed Rendell Gov. I have also contacted the Criminal Tax Division of the US Attorney Generals Office, because this is an Interstate Operation! I have supplied a set of calculations, as an example only, of how much money the people of PA may be being overcharged. As yet, for some unknown reason, I haven't contacted the Criminal Division of the Internal Revenue Service? To be completed ASAP!

With each of these people, I have explained that there is only One reason I can think of that this company and others like them, overcharge for no apparent reason. If they were actually turning the amount collected over to the state, all they would do is lower the amount sent in to the state. This in turn would actually lower the monthly amount due for payment to them and also make them more attractive or more competitive! The excess money collected should be considered a "Revenue Neutral" item. It wouldn't cost them a penny! However, if they don't turn the excess amount collected over to the state, they create an extra source of income. If this were the case, then the extra sales tax collected could be kept off the books and would be or could be considered "Tax Free Income!" If that took place, it could then be considered a "Criminal Act." Of course there is only One way to verify which method DirecTV is following. That would take a complete Audit of the companies books, for the last few years, completed by the proper authorities!

As stated earlier, I am a resident of the state of PA. I know the Sales Tax Laws in question as far as this state goes. I do not know the sales tax laws of any of the other state which DirecTV operates within! If you live in any other state, you will have to check the laws, rules and regulations,of your state. From my point of view, the more people that join in, the merrier!

But if you start a fight with them you better be strong! To give you an idea of how ridiculous they are: I send out all my e-mails with the standard note "Return Receipt Requested." They have been deleting the message, but sending back the response showing me that they "Just Deleted The Message (Message Not Read)!"

It's been very tough getting anyone's interest because the amount they improperly collect, from any One person, for any monthly amount due, isn't a lot of money. However, if they are doing the same thing to all PA accounts and to other residents in any of the other states that may have similar Sales Tax Laws, they could be in for quite a ride. If anyone has any ideas about how to prompt anyone to take the necessary action, it will be greatly appreciated! In the meantime: BYER BEWARE! And as they always like to say: "I'm going to escalate this right away. Someone will get back to you within 24 - 48 hours!" DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

Sincerely: Sam

790ed35b, 2008-12-13, 07:52AM CST

sam ,there is a simmilar situation with my acct with dtv,while preparing for a small claims case against dtv I noticed what seemed strange with the sales tax applied to the bill. after calculating the 6% tax here in arkanasas it turned out to be 6.34% then I REVIEWED other statements, whoa! 6%,6.38% 6.31%this was just a sample of statements that I had.I will submit this to the appropriate agencies.for those of you that want to check what your sales tax% is on your bill divide tax by amt taxed

ex:$15.00 tax /$250.00 =6%=$265.00 anywhy this company is one of the worst!!!!