Home Depot's 10% Price Match policy - internet-authorised

Posted on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007 at 12:01pm CST by df94ff7e

Company: Home Depot's 10% Price Match policy - internet-authorised

HomeDepot.com

Having seen Home Depot's 10% Price Match policy my wife and I spent several hours researching local competitors and we were able to find cheaper prices elsewhere that, we believed, should have qualified us for the 10% Price Match, which as per the text below (copied from the Home Depot website) guarantees that Home Depot will better the price by 10%.

10% In-Store Price Guarantee*

Nobody beats our prices. If you find a lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any retailer, we will match the price and beat it by 10%. Guaranteed.

*If you find a lower price on a new, identical, in-stock item from any retailer present the advertisement to The Home Depot and we will match the price and beat it by 10%. Excludes special order, clearance and open-box merchandise, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors, select Maytag

40d51de8, 2009-06-20, 01:44PM CDT

I found a washer & dryer set in an ad for less than Home Depot had it. It was the exact same model #. So I went to the Home Depot store and showed the ad. I asked for price match and 10% off. I was just told by the Home Depot Associate in the appliance department that they never have appliances in stock/at the store so they will never beat the price by 10% but will match an ad price.

He actually smiled and kind of laughed when he told me this.

c1b82822, 2009-10-14, 07:55PM CDT

Similar problem in Greenfield, Indiana. Was advised that all but cheapest home appliances are considered "special purchase" and exempt from the policy. Opted to shop at Lowes who had a more traditional view on an identical policy and saved $42 on a dryer.

b428eb13, 2009-11-07, 02:00PM CST

Same story in Grafton, Wisconsin. Sales person verified the competitor's price and terms and called the store manager for approval. He refused to honor the 10% price match policy (on an $800 washing machine) stating that almost all appliances were "special order" and not subject to the price match guarantee. He further said that the unit sitting on the floor of the store was not considered to be "in stock." When I asked for his name so that I could include it in a letter to Home Depot's CEO, he would only provide me with his first name. The manager's explanation of why Home Depot (he) was not willing to honor the policy was "weasel-talk" at its worst. If he'd simply said that the price match policy would have resulted in a sales price below cost, perhaps I could have understood. He was either insufficiently trained or perhaps had never been challanged by a (now former) customer. A Home Depot customer service person sent me a poorly worded explanation which seemed to confirm the local manager's actions; she stated that Home Depot only applies the 10% Price Match against the full retail price of other stores and that they consider all appliance purchases (other than out-of-date models and old floor model samples)to be "special" or "on line" purchases - on which they would not honor the 10% price match policy. Of course, Home Depot does not provide on-line access to these "exceptions" and continues to trumpet the 10% Price Match guarantee prominently in its advertising and promotions.

As it is "Good-bye Home Depot!" Lowes and Menards will get all of my business from now on. Save yourself the time and deception - shop elsewhere for your appliances.

d4c655c9, 2010-01-14, 05:34PM CST

I have just read LOWES price matching policy. It's the exact same as Home Depots, worded a little differently. If you can comprehend what you read, you would not have even written the above. The Home Depot carries lower priced items in stock in the store, these are the appliances that we will price match with. The high end appliances don't sell well out of the store because most customers just do not want to haul the machines home and set them up,( free delivery does not apply to store stock appliances), nor do the stores have the room to store these machines, therefore most high end appliances that The Home Depot sells are "special order". Why? because we have to order them! they are in the GE, LG or Maytag warehouse, not physically stocked on a Home Depot property.

e7fc6556, 2010-02-07, 05:24PM CST

Same thing with me using the special order/in-stock argument. Which I could slightly understand, although I do not agre with it as much a they advertise their "guarentee". I then asked if I could apply my 10% off coupon I received from HD to the order and they refused to honor that as well. A complete lack of customer service and for what, $100 on a single purchase.

ed479f67, 2010-06-30, 05:44PM CDT

Same thing in Apex NC. Washer & Dryer were in stock on the floor but sales person would not match a lower price from Sears. In so many words the manager simply said to buy from Sears. So we did. And so we will from now on buy from Sears, Lowes, HH Gregg, or other vendor. Lowes will now be our first choice for building materials. We have a small business and have spent a BUNCH of money at HD.

04414413, 2010-09-29, 03:55AM CDT

I was just in the Coventry R.I. store, I was buying Lumber and they were higher than a local smaller home center. because they had the word "lumber" in there name such as Davids Lumber (not Real name) they claimed they could not meet and beat the price only meet it. They made the excuse that its not a competitor as its a lumber yard not a retail store. I found this to be a bunch of bull shit as they are a home center like home depot just not as big.

063b07f2, 2011-09-30, 06:02PM CDT

You really need to be prepared when trying to price match at Home Depot.

There is some information here that could be useful:

99729984, 2014-08-03, 10:43AM CDT

I went to Home Depot and purchased 2 plants that were reg. price of $59.98. I purchased them for 50% off. This is al they had

Left of the same plant and color of flower. I took my receipt to another Home Depot , showed them my receipt and they

Homered the price so I purchased the only two they had left that matched the ones I purchased at the other

Home Depot. I needed two more so I went to a third Home Depot, show the manager my receipts from other

Home Depots , expecting to purchase the final two at same price. The manager totally said he was Not going to

Match the price. I said I read where the policy was to price match. He said , " this was his store to manage and he was not going to do it" I asked him if

He owned the store and he said no. I told home I read on the internet that home depots' policy was to price match

From competitors plus 10% additional. Since I was buying from the same corporation, I just wanted him to sell to me at the same price that the other two Home Depots homered their policy. He still said no. I will not shop at his store ever or shall I recommend his store. The other two are just fine .