Lululemon / return policy and customer service

Posted on Monday, February 12th, 2007 at 10:40am CST by aab4e12f

Company: Lululemon / return policy and customer service

Lululemon Clothing. Yoga/pilates/fitness apperal. Complaint about customer service and return policy.

I just wanted to share an experience with the Lululemon company. They make yoga/pilates/fitness apparel and I would encourage anyone who reads this to please pass it on and to not support this company because they do not support people that buy their products.

I received one of their jackets as a birthday gift and unfortunately, it was too small. So I took it in to the local Lululemon store and was told that they would not allow me to exchange the item for one that fit because it had been more than 2 weeks since the time of purchase. Disappointed, I left the store and headed home to call the corporate office with hopes that they would be more reasonable.

My experience with their corporate representative was even more frustrating. The guy I talked to actually admitted that he was comfortable knowing that someone had spent close to $100 on a jacket that I will never be able to use because it's too small.

Therefore, I'm just trying to spread the word that lululemon products will make TERRIBLE gifts unless you are 100% sure it will fit who you are buying it for.

The representative said he didn't think they were being unreasonable, but I disagree. Earlier in the day I had returned a paid of sandals to REI that I purchased in October and had no problems. Thank you REI! Another example of a company that knows the meaning of customer service is Patagonia. They not only support the environment by donating a percentage of their profits to environmental organizations, but they support their consumer by always being open to returns or exchanges until you are 100% happy with what you have.

What is the most surprising is how they claim to be a company that supports yoga principles, which would include compassion, and yet they did not offer me any such thing. Their stance was that was the policy and too bad that someone spent money on something I cannot use.

Lululemon is not the only place to get yoga/pilates/fitness clothes and I would just like to encourage everyone to support companies that support the customer...which means not shopping for or buying lululemon products.

Thanks!

bc769de5, 2008-01-31, 10:22AM CST

I just recently had the exact same experience after Christmas - returning a gift just 20 days after Christmas with a gift receipt. I was surprised when they told me it was just too late. What was worse was their snooty attitude and argumentative style. I sent in a letter to the company and their response was just the same. It is the poorest excuse for customer service that I have ever witnessed. I watched one poor customer try to return an item that fell apart - she was told she was just out of luck. You are right about so many other places to buy Yoga clothes where the return policy is respectful of their customers. Come on Lulu - how can you expect anyone to buy a gift or anything there when Nordstrom, Nike, and all the other Athletic stores have respect for the customer!

c92c6c42, 2008-11-16, 07:11PM CST

My wife just had the same return problem. Completely unreasonable customer service. I will ask my sister to try to return the product tomorrow. If she succeeds, they might have a nice little discrimination lawsuit on their hands.

fff9658b, 2009-01-21, 04:55PM CST

I am going through this same process also. I am the husband trying to do the right and bought my wife a hooded sweatshirt from lululemon as a Christmas gift. At the time of purchase, they only had one colour in stock in my wife's size. By the time they had received new stock, of acceptable colours, I can't even exchange the product because it has fallen outside the return period! My problem really falls on being treated like a second class citizen after spending nearly $100 on a sweatshirt!!! Entirely unacceptable in my books! If this ever gets resolved, it will be the last of my hard earned money that these elitist snobs will ever receive!

9c6cd147, 2009-02-05, 03:01PM CST

I had the same experience!! I bought a cute tank for a friend, but she never had a chance to try it on until after the 14 days! Apparently their sizes run a little smaller than I expected. She couldn't exchange it with the gift receipt and I couldn't exchange it with the original receipt!

I hate Lululemon! We're not trying to screw them over by returning Christmas gifts--we're just trying to get something that fits!

I'm going to try and keep my receipts just in case there is ever a lawsuit. Lululemon screws their customers!

f4c45c50, 2009-10-21, 11:15AM CDT

Their customer service is atrocious. Its good to hear that Patagonia has a fair return policy. It seems like Lululemon is over the top when it comes to ensuring their products are in "resellable" condition on returns. Even though I see stuff on their racks which have handwritten tags all the time- a sure sign of a return.

I have spent close to a thousand dollars at Lululemon in the past few months (new job and getting into exercising more!) and the last time I was in, I noticed a shirt on the sale rack which I had just bought at regular price *one week* ago. I asked if they do price adjustments and the rep gave me some long winded explanation as to why they wouldn't do it. It wasn't satisfactory. I accepted their response, but didn't agree with it. In theory, I could've bought the top on the spot and returned it with my old receipt but honestly, I'm not too upset about the $15 extra I spent there anymore. I can say that the next time I need to get some athletic gear I simply won't want to go there.

I'm totally with you on supporting companies that support the consumer. Lululemon isn't one of them.

(and ps. their $100 yoga pants pill even if you take care of them properly!!)

5313f168, 2009-10-21, 11:16AM CDT

(and ps. their $100 yoga pants pill even if you take care of them properly!!)

b60d5b84, 2010-01-26, 06:50PM CST

I completely agree with everything you say about Lululemon. I bought $300 worth of clothing for my wife for Christmas but she tried to exchange the clothing and they would not since it was outside of the 14 day window. We will never shop at Lululemon again.

f1a51e20, 2010-01-27, 12:21PM CST

I just had a terrible experience at lulumon myself. My husband bought me $300 worth of work out clothes there for christmas. He told the sales clerk that I would most likely exchange the items for different sizes, because he was not sure what size to buy. The sales clerk mentioned nothing about the 2 week exchange policy and it is not posted anywhere in the store. I went in yesterday to exchange the items, which were all too small and they told me that it was too late. I also called the corporate office and got nowhere. So now I have $300 worth of workout clothes that don't fit. My husband is very angry. Their return policy is ridiculous and their customer service is terrible! The manager in the store and the person I talked to on the phone were both snits. We will never shop there again, and I am telling everyone I know about my experience. I am also going to post a sign at my health club!

I hope they go out of business.

433addfe, 2010-06-09, 03:20PM CDT

YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT. I HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION. I received 2 items for my birthday and they were too small. I sent them back (in time) for exchanges. They forgot to exchange the pants and rejected my exchange / return of the shirt becasue they claimed there were deoderant stains and they coudl not resell the tank top. I got the tank top back, and the traces of deoderant were so light, i was able to simply rub them out w/o washing it or using any cleaning substance.

I tried to file a complaint on hte phoen and they told me I'd have to e-mail them.

I told them to keep the pants that they filed to exchange... I didn't want to deal with them anymore.

I too was shocked that they preach one thing and act another... not very yogi like. No integrity whatsoever.

Dissappointed.

5dba4b93, 2010-08-30, 10:14AM CDT

I totally agree. They treat their customers VERY poorly when it comes to returns or quality issues.

f62c06a1, 2010-11-22, 07:57AM CST

Ok so I am not alone. I was given a gift there that I would never use. And the same thing. Well they might have nice apparell but they are definitely on my black list. Other companies are starting to come out with comparable products - Lululemon if this is how you are going to treat your clientele then I think you might see that it will catch up with you in the end.

That day I had a similar return at J. Michaels and it was refunded in full with ease.

2016a476, 2010-11-23, 07:55PM CST

I had the same problem tonight when returning a pair of pants for my sister. It was a gift for her but it didn't fit (too tight) so I returned it with tags and everything on. The girl inspected it and was like there's fluff and all everywhere (from the carpet in her home). Although she did return it for me, she woulnd't stop nagging about it. She's like "in the future make sure you return things the way you bought them." Sorry for the few fluffs, I could have just used a brush and taken it off (as they can too). She told me its hard to resale things that look worn. But it was just tried on by my sister and was not worn (as she had implied that my sister might have worn it around the home). She said it was dirty inside and I know this may sound gross, but when I've tried their stuff in the store, its gross too because most stuff have people's dried skin cells on it (i.e. the black pants) so tell me whats the difference? Anyways, it made me feel really shitty known that I spend so much there and I have to be put in that situation. Never shopping there again!

6af68960, 2010-12-09, 10:17PM CST

I think this entire complaint is rediculous! There is a reason companies such as lululemon put return policies on their receipts, online, and in front of their cash desks. I DO NOT WORK FOR LULULEMON but I feel sorry for all retailers having to deal with customers like all of the above.

Good for Lululemon putting their foot down about their return policy. It is clearly stated in every single one of your complaints that their return policy is 14 days with tags attached, unwashed, and unworn. Where in any of that plain english was that hard to understand.

As for gifts, their return policy is also clearly stated. When and where did it become the norm to expect retailers to hold your hands and make sure that you "the customer" return or exchange your products on time?

The whole complaint should be ignored and I FULLY support Lululemon for not only putting their foot down but also for everything that they stand for in the Lululemon culture!

Thanks!

220c4406, 2011-01-14, 03:38PM CST

I do not work for Lululemon but I have worked in retail. And I have to agree that these return complaints are unreasonable.

Shoppers need to know the stores return policy. That is their duty as a shopper. Every store is different. As a shopper no one thinks that is unreasonable to bring back an item past the 2 week date on the receipt if the item is unworn etc and swap for a different size etc. As a business if you accept an item that has no receipt that item could have been stolen and then returned back to the store and swapped for the proper size. This happens all the time. That is the reason why items cannot be returned without receipts.

If it is past the due date on the receipt. You would think that companies could make an exception. Although, if you bring back an item you bought 3 weeks ago that item might not be in the store any longer.

I would have asked the manager to ship the item to your house since you lived so far away. But I agree the customer service at Lululemon is shockingly bad.

Lesson learned. Always ask the store return policy. If you dont like the answer. Dont shop there.

3af2430b, 2011-03-23, 01:36AM CDT

Similar experience, but it wasn't about size. It was about a defective product. The zipper jammed so they will replace the zipper - in 4 to 8 weeks. By the time we get it back, it will be summer and too warm to use. As my wife is losing the weight she gained with our newborn twins, the item will be useless.

They could not care less that my wife is a long-time repeat customer. They could not care less that it was their product that was defective. I wrote to company HQ and they offered a laughable solution.

This really is not a company that practices what it preaches. Unfortunate.

ab27f41c, 2011-06-23, 04:32PM CDT

BAD EXPERIENCE @ LULULEMON

I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING THERE AGAIN

I had bought a top for my daughter for her Birthday in Aventura, FL, and when she tried to exchange it for a different size, they REFUSED, because it was just outside of their 14 day return policy, which appeared ambiguous to me, and it was a GIFT. They failed to put a Gift receipt in the bag with the top, and the sales girl well knew it was a gift, because I requested it be gift wrapped, which they CANNOT DO either.

Customer Service, I do not see it, even after I spoke to their corporate offices, they still refused to accept the exchange. Hopefully, this blog will send them a message that customer service comes first, and would have been more profitable in the long run.

For me, I will NEVER BUY any LULULEMON again. You might not want to either if you support me and real customer service.

LULU's own MANIFESTO clearly states "Friends are more important than money", and clearly "THAT'S A LIE".

de86f2c1, 2011-08-23, 11:57AM CDT

I have worked in retail for 6 years, and now i am a designer at a popular brand, i am well aware of customers rights and poor business management. I agree with this complaint and it is best summed up by the letter i sent to corporate:

"friends are more important than money?" That is really part of your manifesto? I really loved your product and being a yogi would have been a loyal customer for years to come. I say would have because i recently bought a pair of shorts for my boyfriend's birthday, which he didn't like and became familiar with your company's return policy. I understand it is clearly listed on your receipt that you will only accept returns or exchanges within two weeks of purchase, but I never thought to look at it because never in my life have a heard of a successful company only giving unsatisfied customers two weeks to return an item.

I realize the reasoning behind this, lululemon does not want to be stuck with old merchandise in their stores, and saves a lot money by implementing a policy such as this. However, in order to keep doing business successfully, your customers should be your number one priority. As a company you should be holding their best interests above all else, especially with the high prices your loyal customers pay for your product. There are plenty of yoga gear companies to chose from. I Just wanted you to know that I will no longer be buying your product and will be putting a lot of time and energy into telling all of my yogi friends about your complete lack of consideration for your customers. If you really believe all the crap you have on your bags then I would appreciate my 70$ back. Thats a month of yoga classes for me, the reason lululemon is even in business.

6ab70258, 2012-01-16, 06:50PM CST

Hi,

I was online trying to find out where to file a customer complaint as well. My story is similar, received a gift wanted to exchange for a larger size. I had worn it once and I was told, I could not exchange it. Imagine my surprise, I had high expectations for a high end company.

I was told by the sales clerk to give my top to a friend who wore a smaller size than me. Wow, that thought never occurred to me. I wish I had seen these similar comments first. I almost turned to shoppers in the store and said, make your selections carefully! I then asked to speak to a manager, i was told, I am the manager. Her name was Lauren at the Carlsbad store.

I will not be shopping there. I will take my chances with Ross, Target, Marshalls and other stores who would gladly accept my exchange!

c97f32f0, 2012-01-18, 12:19PM CST

I agree Lululemon has horrible exchange policy. I tried to exchange a tank that had never been worn, sewn tag on, paper tag removed, with receipt. The purchase was made 4 days ago. I didn't even want my money back, just a different color! they would not take it back bc the the paper tag (attached with plastic piece) had been removed. It was NEVER WORN. Unbelievable. I've spent $1000 of dollars there and now I'm DONE.

185a93ab, 2012-01-25, 03:00AM CST

I have also had TERRIBLE customer service - so much so that I started a blog dedicated to bad Lulu customer service. Feel free to add your story to the blog!

883b00e3, 2014-08-14, 07:49PM CDT

I also agree Lululemon has a horrible exchange policy. I recently bought a pair of Lululemon's online. Unfortunately, the size was a size too big for me. With this being said, I emailed Luluemon about an exchange for a smaller size. And their reply was simply, we do not make exchanges. Now, i wasn't asking for a return, i was just asking for a smaller size. I would think that it would only be fair to at least provide your customer with another option if they order the wrong size. Not take their money, and think that it is okay. Anyways, I just want to say that I am so disappointed in Luluemon and their system. A company like this should not be allowed to run. People spend way too much money on already overpriced products to not have the option to return or exchange an item that does not suit them well.