Hitachi 50V500 LCD TV red glow after only 1.5 yrs old $3000 DO NOT BUY

Posted on Thursday, September 28th, 2006 at 6:00pm CDT by 7d238083

Company: Hitachi 50V500 LCD TV red glow after only 1.5 yrs old $3000 DO NOT BUY

I bought a $3000 Hitachi LCD TV model #50V500 1.5 years ago. Now there's a red glow across my entire screen that is constant. Hitachi.com - NO REPLY AT ALL. When I asked for HELP, they just give you a phone # of a service center in my area: they're not even a Hitachi service center, just an electronics service center!!! 1-800-Hitachi NO HELP THERE EITHER, they just say call a service center in your area. I called CIRCUIT CITY where I bought the TV, NO HELP THERE EITHER!!! I went on other web sites and saw people with the same problem and they said it was "the light engine." A $1500-$2000 repair. Well, you know what, I'm not willing to put that much $ into a TV that is only 1.5 years old.

DO NOT BUY HITACHI!!!

DO NOT BUY FROM CIRCUIT CITY!!!

YOU WILL BE WASTING YOU MONEY IN NO TIME!!!

Kim H

Cincinnati, OH

4e04b12a, 2008-06-14, 11:03AM CDT

My Hitachi is only 3yr. old and the engine light has gone... Hitachi won't do anything about it...that sucks. Is anyone else having this problem?

26b4d375, 2008-08-27, 02:52PM CDT

Our Hitachi is only 2.5 years old and we are now told the optical engine needs to be replaced at the price of $1300. We purchased this set at Circuit City, they will not help us with this. We contacted Hitachi and they won't do anything about it either. It's very sad to know that you put out so much money for a great TV as you are told by the sales person only to have it go down the tubes (no pun intended) in a little over 2 years time. I say bring back the older tvs. At least they lasted for years!!

b4b2da76, 2009-08-05, 10:42PM CDT

Me too. This seems to be a universal problem.

STAY AWAY FROM HITACHI unless you want to get a brand new T.V. after 5 years, which is about all the time this T.V. will last.