norton internet security 2006

Posted on Saturday, September 16th, 2006 at 8:10am CDT by eda273e7

Company: norton internet security 2006

Tracy:

I am going through a similar situation.

I purchased Norton Antivirus 2006 about a month ago from Costco.com.

During installation, it indicated that 4 or 5 "essential files" failed to install.

I didn't think too much of it, as the software appeared to run, and do the requested virus scans.

After about two weeks, I got a message that my "14 day trial (had) expired."

I was a bit perplexed, as my purchase included a 366 day subscription.

I followed the prompts to activate the product, as requested. This, of course, failed.

I followed Symantec's e-mail "instructions" (and I use that term liberally) and uninstalled the software and reinstalled it. Same activation problem.

I then followed Symantec's e-mail instructions to do a FULL uninstall, down to the system registry level.

I then returned Antivirus 2006 for a full refund, and purchased Internet Security 2006. The software installed without a hitch (no "uninstalled essential files" this time). Exact same activation issue (except this one occurred right away).

Symantec makes it next to impossible to get customer/technical support.

I tried a number of times to access their knowledge base, but got the same error message each time (that they are experiencing a problem (duh!)).

Live chat was equally productive. Either the person on the other end would say "Hi, please tell me about your problem" and then never say anything else, or would ask me to wait "1 or 2 minutes" while he researched the problem (and then either never came back or I would get disconnected from live chat, sometimes after waiting 10 minutes or more)..

E-mail was equally (un)effective. Kept getting stock answers that either didn't work or did not address my specific issues.

I paid for this product and they expect me to pay AGAIN to get help installing/activating a product that has problems from the outset??

You would think they would provide free phone service, at least to their retail store customers, if only to get them to NOT return the product for a full refund.

Eric