Suntrust Bank fraud

Posted on Wednesday, October 25th, 2006 at 7:25am CDT by ff2574b2

Company: Suntrust Bank fraud

I went online to find out if I had lost my mind... only to find out that there are millions of people just like me out there that have been defrauded by Suntrust Bank.

I have a small Internet business and use my bank card for all of my transactions. This way I always have a record of them. and un like a credit card I have no interest and can not spend beyond the cash on hand.

One night, about 11:00pm when checking my account I noticed that there was a $500.00 hundred dollar charge pending on the account. Mind you my balance at the time was $223.00. a couple of small "legitimate" charges for about $15.00 and 28.00 so this caused the account to be overdrawn. I quickly called the 800 number to find out what the charge was for. I was placed in an endless loop of about 35 minutes and then the call was dropped. I decided I would wait until morning since it was late.

When I contacted customer service the following morning I was told there was nothing I could do until the transaction posted to the account. However, I was given the name of the company that was making the charge. As i suspected the the charge was not from any of my vendors and was indeed fraudulent... Still they insisted there was nothing they could do until it posted to the account.. I checked my account daily to see if the transaction had posted (still not sure why we would wait for a fraudulent charge to post) each night I noticed that not only had the charge not posted but suntrust was now charging me nsf fees for the "unposted fraudulent charge" 32.00 first then 64.00 then 96.00 from the 17th to the 20th when it finally posted they had racked up over $200.00 in fees. Mind you my business is at a stand still because I can not purchase material or process orders.

When it finally posted I called customer service, who transferred me to the fraud department, who told me that I would have to sign and affidavit, have it signed and notarized, return it, and then wait 7-10 days for them to sort this out. I decided not to leave this to fax machines and customer service, I would go directly to the branch an speak with a manager. I did what they asked and was told the 7-10 days is perfectly acceptable for me to wait for this kind of thing to be cleared up . However, again my business is still on hold for another 7-10 days!

My question to any one is this..... why would they pay a "check card" transaction (not a credit card) that was more then the balance IF THE FUNDS ARE UNAVAILABLE RETURN THE CHECK OR DECLINE THE CHARG! The only logical reason is because they want to collect the fees so they allowed a fraudulent charge to be posted to my account even though there was only $200.00 in the account when the fraudulent 500.00 charge came through. Now my account is on hold because they decided to pay it against monies the were not available.

So now my company is on hold while they investigate a charge that they should never have paid in the fist place... and charging me overdraft fees for the privilege. my overdraft fees now have fees (extended overdraft fees)

I am finding an attorney and changing banks as soon as they finish their investigation!

Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

aa80aa32, 2008-08-06, 08:57AM CDT

OMG. The identical issue happened to me. With the exception of the amount (mine was $900 in fraud charges). I was treated like a criminal and was in limbo for nearly 2 weeks with Suntrust while I waited for the "affidavit" and waiting period. The phone reps referred me to the branch for one thing or another, the branch sent me back to the phone reps for one thing or another. It was a miserable experience and I was livid.

I wrote the company to complain (finding the names of 5 corporate officers online). The company conveniently waited until everything was resolved over a MONTH LATER to respond only respond that the issue was resolved. (gasp!)

I eventually removed what little money I had from this bank and had decided to go into the branch to cancel the account asap. Before I could do so, there were two automatic charges (both totalling less than $25) that I did not cancel in time before additional charges were submitted automatically. With little to no money in the account, I would have expected the bank to decline the charges. Instead, SUNTRUST charged NSF fees for each and then paid the charges. I refused to pay considering the charges should have been declined. When I contacted the branch to complain, I was told that the overdraft is a "courtesy" of the bank and there is no option to cancel. Courtesy to whom? No one but SUNTRUST as a means of increasing profit margins in this area.

I hope the Federal Reserve Board forces bank to comply with a more consumer oriented policy that gives consumer the option to "opt-in" to such a program instead of being forced into it.

32b96d08, 2008-10-16, 06:15PM CDT

I have experienced virtually the same thing with Suntrust Bank. I had a charge for $350.07 post to my account on Sunday Oct 12, 2008. I immediately knew this was not a charge I had made since I was out of town that weekend, and have no transactions even close to that amount. I called the Suntrust lost card number and cancelled my checkcard immediately. Additionally, I went to my branch on Tuesday, Oct 14,2008 to report the fraudulent charge to my bank manager. He had me fill out an affadavit and told me I would have to wait for the fraud department to investigate the charge for 7-10 days. It is currently Oct 16, 2008 and my overdraft charges are already at $280.00 while the investigation is taking place. Additionally, my $523.00 child support payment debited to my account has been rendered useless due to these overdraft fees and unfounded charge for $350.07! I am a single mother of 3 children, and needless to say this has put me in a terrible situation! Suntrust Bank has a very poor policy on behalf of this situation. I would welcome anyone's advice at [email protected].......Will I ever get my money back??? This is ridiculous!!!

ddaf3fb8, 2008-12-19, 07:57PM CST

THe power of protest!

The OCC will just run you thru the process.

I am posting the following near (not on property) of any SUNTRUST ATM, branch location, and local radio and TV broadcasting stations in the Washington, D.C and Maryland areas.

Enough is enough in these hard times.

MESSAGE listed below

===========

TO: Consumer, Personal Account Product

FROM: A voice crying in the wilderness. WIth less money.

SUBJECT: SUNTRUST BANK.

Having problems with the number of excessive NSF, and returned items fees in your personal account?

$35.00 fee for NSF X number of occurrances = $$$ for SUNTRUST

$$$ for SUNTRUST X number of customers = MORE $ FOR SUNTRUST

Doesn't make any sense why it occurred and no restitution or credit to your account?

SUNTRUST is robbing you blind!

SUNTRUST can only make money by delaying processing

of your funds (direct deposit, cash deposits, and checks)

in their system, then use their CANNED statement

that...............

YOUR BALANCING OF YOUR ACCOUNT IS THE JUSTIFICATION.

SUNTRUST accounting practices

may be the problem with your money!

OPTIONS:

1. Take your complaints to WWW.OCC.GOV

The U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

2. USE Credit Union.

Rates are better and more customer service friendly

3. USE another bank.

BE CAREFUL with who has your money in these HARD TIMES!

SPREAD THE WORD !

4bd7696d, 2008-12-20, 12:17PM CST

Likewise, have been ripped off with false balances, I noticed it in October when they decided to do a correction advise for $276.00 for a check that I had deposited, not cashed, even had the deposit slip (theirs) from the drive thru. Talked to two people about it and have still not received my money back. Also since then I have not balanced, and they are now taking money out of overdraft protection. Guess they figure I don't have time around the holidays to notice. Sick of this, going toclosed th account Monday, go over all my transactions since Sept. and find where their balances went awry. It is no to the tune of about $1000.

dd4c10b5, 2009-09-14, 09:37PM CDT

i AM an employee for suntrust bank in customer service, and i can assure you, this bank is the biggest thief i have ever see, the bad part is they cover it all up with bank jargon the common person does not know about and normally does not bother to read its called " rules and regulations" that basically states they can do whatever they want with your money without prior notice to u, and that you are responsible for any penalties you may incur. i would NEVER EVER put one penny in this Bank, you shouldent either or any bank for that matter..

da932857, 2010-02-01, 11:23AM CST

The same thing happen to me. I am disable and on disabilty SSI. I arthorized that Directv could take &21.00 out of my Suntrust account. Things did not work out. Directv broke the contract. They charged my suntrust account with $674.oo!!! I only get a little over $1000.00 to live on for a month. What is going on here. I have what if I wrote a check for $418.00 more than I had in my account would have cashed it. They said yes! We all know thats not true. They said maybe I might get some of the money back. I don't want some of the money back I want all of the money back. Then it's up to me and DirecTV to work out our differances. I have already had to borrow money from family and friends that has to be paid back. I can't pay my rent and electric this month and I don't know what to do. I am so far into the hole I may never get out because of SUNTRUST BANK....

66bb58a6, 2010-04-06, 10:36AM CDT

It's unfair how they treat their customers. I've banking with suntrust for about 20years. Recently they cleaned out my checking account with no warning. I have checks that are out and

the mean time my power will be shut off if I do'nt pay the bill. Problem is I dont have any funds. I will move my account they need to be shut down

8d395c5d, 2010-04-23, 02:31PM CDT

I have deposited a check of $69,000 from citibank to my suntrust account, wait 12 days to clear, after the hold drop i transfer it to my saving account. last monday( 1 month later) they decide it was a fraudulent check so they debited my account for $68,000 (available). I contacted citibank wich provided me with proof the check was paid and clear. now suntrust is telling me that the check is fraudulent they will closed my account, and they refuse to refund me but they going to keep the money. so I have decide to take it to the CEO of suntrust Jenner J Wood

2605 Red Valley Rd NW Atlanta, GA 30305-3522 tel: (404) 355-3054 but is wife acting like crazy so i call the CFO of suntrust mark chancy 1374 Mile Post Dr Atlanta, GA 30338 tel: (770) 913-9656 got twice is fucking voicemail finaly i decide to talk to Raymond Fortin General Counsel tel404 588 7165. I will file a lawsuit in dallas where i live i have already contacted the OCC and the fe reserve to file a complaint against SUNTRUST for unfair practice, theft of customer fund, discriminatory practice, Embezzlement of my money

b80000c3, 2010-04-23, 02:33PM CDT

6ff14c45, 2010-11-12, 07:46AM CST

I no u will - suntrust bank -overheard at suntrust bank na , vs overheard at alliance bancorp of oak brook .now fulton county da office has all of michael grimes contact infor .mr wolf and mr long . Michael david grimes sr ,gloria jean mayes both age 59 . Has robbed me with a pin and ink , I never seen this kind of robbery .it don't matter what bank co u head too the overheard at alliance bancorp own it all . We got to rob them back with a pin by signing a. Warrent to get me m grimes the real owner back into all of my companies starting with suntrust bank now .how can u steel a bank with out a person dob or his ss # or his mailing address ! Nothing . This a hold lot of crap too .dailing 911 sinse 2002 . I'm so a shame of this mess but have no choice have too work it out , and then back in .

6ff14c45, 2010-11-12, 08:12AM CST

President fraud - starting with suntrust bank, bank of america ,jpmorgan ,wellsfargo bank , regions bank ,alliance bacorp ,monarch financial corp , on on so et al . Also this fraud with suntrust bank is a part of, james, office in atl ga beening robbed of the 10 million documents , that started the -overheard at alliance bancorp inc .all this fraud gone stop , starting with overdraft fee s .

da462ce2, 2011-04-15, 01:11PM CDT

To whomever this letter will fall upon. I sincerely hope that someone will understand and make sense out of what is ethically right. I know that this case has been closed since April 14, 2011 without properly being handled correctly and this is where my concern lies. I was never informed of such closing until yesterday when I entered the bank after checking my balance on line. I had fraudulent activity last week on April 4. I immediately contacted the bank and alerted them. They took my claim and the agent assured me that my debit card had indeed been compromised.

It is extremely disturbing and unethical for any business to withhold funds without probable cause. It is also unethical for any business practice or corporation to terminate a client relationship without properly notifying the customer first. I am appalled that SunTrust not only deny another Fraud claim (which is out of my control, but in the control of SunTrust because they can visually see transactions being made), that I did not and in no way could possibly do. If such person of high regards, standards, customer service standards, and common sense could clearly understand that I could not be in two cities at the same time making these unauthorized transactions; and NO one from SunTrust contacted me to say, hey there is something wrong here, or let me freeze her card so no more charges can be made (like they have done a few times before), yet take my claim into consideration, send me a new card in the mail, but then turn around ten days later to change their mind about me being a customer is absolutely ludicrous.

I will contact Federal Reserve once again and go through this entire ordeal once again as I have done last year. I did receive my funds back (last year) but not before and after being repeatedly lied to about my son using my card when I asked for two months to review the transactions in question. To much probing and persistence we saw an unknown woman making all of these withdrawals as the thief (NOT MY SON which was told to me repeatedly that SUNTRUST employee swears it was). How dare SunTrust make accusations to a customer and think this kind of practice is ethical? I work in customer service for AirTran Airways, and this is not at least tolerable for our first time and loyal customers. We go beyond and above the most superior customer service unimaginable, and we bend over backwards for our customers even if their actions were wrong and unjust. I enjoy helping people who have issues and I never take their frustrations personal, because I am trained in such capacity where resolving issues that are fixable is a solution first and not just a job.

SunTrust you can clearly see that I made a gas purchase in Atlanta on April 7, 2010 and someone used my card before the gas purchase was made in California, right after the gas purchase another charge from California came through and you made the decision to deny my claim? Not one fraud detector in that department made an attempt to say, "This could not be her as the card was just used in California then Atlanta then California two more times" and you still blatantly denied my claim? Based on what appropriate measure? You not only withheld my funds on yesterday April 14, 2011, but you also denied me of the rest of my funds when I made it clear to Customer Service Agent Andrew that I have a medical situation with a child who was just admitted to the hospital, and he showed no empathy, apologized, or could give a flying kite non whatsoever. I needed money to get my children food and medicine. My child is at home (did not go to school today) without proper medicine, because he has to wait until I can make it to the bank AFTER work, try to open a new account with another bank (time consuming) so he can feel better. How cruel, insensitive, and inhuman to do a person as such. My spirits are broken for a moment but because I know my trust is in the Lord, and no weapons formed against me shall prosper, your actions will and have cause more harm than good. You just dug yourself a hole unimaginable to tell me I have to wait until Friday (the next day) to retrieve my funds that were held without proper cause. What was the difference from that Thursday April 14, when the account was just closed within 30 minutes of me trying to speak to a representative at two different banks I visited? That was cruel. I never received a letter which Andrew states was sent to me, but yet be told by the second location I visited which was at the Shamrock Publix branch and spoke to Financial Representative, Melicia that the account was just closed within minutes of me leaving the branch on North Druid Hills.

There is nothing more than the grace of God in my heart for this institution by the time I can gather the rest of my nerves together. This will not be the last of my cry. I am also appalled that this would be a charge off when this is not the case. The printout I received from the teller name Malicia on April 14 shows this information and I would like to have that negative remark removed. This matter is causing me unnecessary running around to go open another account and should this insult to injury (charge off) prohibits me from doing so, please understand that my next procedure will be legal actions not only for defamation of character, but for stress, pain, and suffering. You have no idea how embarrassing this has been to me. I will make sure not only this gets media attention, but it will make headlines for sure if someone does not make this right and make it right immediately. Whether you choose to make it right it is going to be known how SunTrust conducts its business.

I have since yesterday April 14, 2011 made a police report about this matter and I also sent a rebuttal on this date as well. As soon as this police report is ready I will submit this towards my case and I expect no fees are charged against my account should a check be returned. SunTrust closed my account yesterday April 14, 2011 by the time I got to the bank to find out what was going on. I expect no charge backs, no returns, and all of my funds be returned to me immediately.

6ff14c45, 2011-10-04, 03:38AM CDT

Ok its wasn't clear to me but now it is I have a benifary trustor . From my own research . I'm the benifary of united companies . United mortgage inc . So I have a trustor that has broken the law . He want call me or write me to let me now who they are they just took 300,000,000 million documents out my office that gos to my companies and wanst gone tell me nothing that trustor fraud . Wellsfargo bank is been run by a low down trustor .trustor I have benifary rights by law . Congress where is my right yall made the laws . The trustor can't 3rd party me and he can't take mental meds , by my benifary rights if he has did any of that how would u now . Benifary rights fraud trustor fraud .

Walter T., 2012-12-23, 02:47AM CST

Suntrust put into court that they sold my home to Freddie Mac at a foreclosure auction. Freddie Mac can not purchase homes legally.