[Incident: 060731-000119]

Posted on Sunday, November 5th, 2006 at 5:44pm CST by 4bb2d002

Company: [Incident: 060731-000119]

At the bottom of this message is the letter I sent to John Deere and the response above it.

After the response from Rosa B. of Jon Deere I called the 800 number and was basically told you bought it, It's your problem.

I call this inadequate engineering and poor customer relations and unacceptable..

J. J. Best

Subject

2000 Model 255 riding lawn mower

Discussion Thread

Response (Rosa B.) 08/01/2006 05:49 PM

Dear Mr. Best:

Thank you for contacting our Web site.

We do apologize for the experience and any inconvenience this may have caused. Please call the Customer Contact Center at 1-800-537-8233. Our center is open 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday and 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST, Saturday.

Rosa

John Deere Company

Auto-Response 07/31/2006 08:43 PM

Customer (James Best) 07/31/2006 08:43 PM

I purchased a 2000 Model 255 riding mower in the spring of 2000. This mower has been garage kept since purchased. The mower has worked well with the exception of the neutral release that will not release and never would. However that is not my present problem. Last week I opened the hood after mowing and all three pieces of this hood disintragrated and is unrepairable. I am a retired mechanical engineer and am knowledgeable of plastics and their properties. This compression molded polyester material obvisously was defective and with out the proper fillers to maintain the molecular bond strength required. This is either a bad part or a poorly engineered part. I talked with Jaeger Inc., Giddings, TX and there response was you got 6 yr's out of it and would sell me two hood pieces for $370. It should last the life of the mower. Corvettes don't disintragrate. I have experience with other brands and they didn't do that. I believe John Deere should replace 3 part hood since it is obviously defective. If you do not I will likely not buy your products again, will pass this experience on to my aquaintenences. I am a small farmer and do buy impliments on occassion. I felt Jaeger's response was unacceptable and unproffessional.

James J Best