Macy Jewelry - Macy Jewelry Department (Water Tower, Chicago)

Posted on Thursday, November 16th, 2006 at 3:53pm CST by 9aa46b4d

Company: Macy Jewelry

Location: (Water Tower

Category: Jewelry, Watches

Macy's at Water Tower

Jewelry Department (1st floor)

Chicago, Illinois

On Wednesday, November 15, 2006, I entered the Water Tower street store. It was between 1:00-2:00 p.m. in the 1st floor jewelry department north end (in the corner b/f the exit). “Associate #1” was with a customer as I looked around while “Associate #2” was nearby. Associate #2 asked if I need help I decline initially, so Associate #2 went back to his counter across from Associate #1. I changed my mind and want to know the price, so I asked Associate #1 who was now finished with the customer. She took her hands face up with pointer finger toward Associate #2. Associate #2 as I was turning around was mouthing “nooooooooo” and shaking his head implying “no.” I saw him and looked at Associate #1. I asked her are you brushing me off to someone who does not want to help me. I asked Associate #2 why you don’t want to help me. What is this? I cannot believe this is happening in 2006. Why don’t you want to help me?

The supervisor was standing just steps away while this was going on talking to who he says was another associate. They were chatting while this loud commotion was happening between Associate #1, Associate #2, and me. When I demanded to know Associate #2 name b/c, he was not wearing a name badge and refuse to tell me as did the supervisor, reluctantly. That is until I demanded very loudly the associate’s name.

Associate #1 response, “I thought he was helping you.” I turned to Associate #2 and said he was but I changed my mind. Since Associate #1 was on the side where the ring displayed I thought to ask for assistance. I was insulted! I didn’t know there is preferential treatment. I ask is this some sort of discrimination. I am African American, a professional with locks in my hair and dress appropriate. Did they think I could not afford the ring or are they like the other associates doing everything but assisting customers? By the way, the ring was on sale at 50% off priced at $1400. Macy has lost a sale and I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Lisa Madigan.

I was so upset I went outside to cool off only to return with hurt feelings letting them know I intend to file this complaint. I have never been so insulted and will never shop at Macy’s again. The associates were unprofessional never smiling, and literally run from customers. I know this to be true because I work nearby and go to the Water Tower frequently for lunch and purchases. Macy’s is a disappointment; I wish Marshall Field’s were still around. Macy’s suck. I miss Marshall Field's.