Maytag Neptune TL

Posted on Saturday, November 11th, 2006 at 1:06pm CST by 1658755c

Company: Maytag Neptune TL

Maytag model FAV6800AWW top loading washer.

We purchased this washer 17 months ago. Our reason for this purchase was Maytag's long held reputation. That bubble burst about 6 weeks ago when the machine started acting up. It has always twisted the clothes very tightly before the spin cycle but now it also wads them into a ball that sits on one side of the tub and puts the machine so far out of balance that it stops with an error code on the display. It has gotten so that now it won't wash any thing but a full load. In order to wash a smaller load of say a few shirts we must add as many as seven large towels to get the machine to finish. We have had a repairman out to look at it on two separate occasions. The first repairman replaced a sensor and that did not make any change in the operation. The second repairman pulled the front cover off and looked at the clutch. He said that it was working alright and after replacing the cover said that we would have to add more clothes or towels to the load in order to get it to run through the spin and dry cycles. He said that was what he was told by the Maytag service dept. This in not an inexpensive washing machine. We paid more that one thousand dollars for a premium washing machine and we get service from it and Maytag that we could have gotten had we purchased a used machine for less that $150. I have sent an email to Maytag about this but I don't expect any kind of encouraging response from them.

Harold

dac40fde, 2008-11-16, 11:30AM CST

You described the problem I am having with this washer perfectly. It is ruining my clothes and has even torn a few pieces. This was the replacement washer I received after paying another $400. The Prior washer was a front load washer and there was a class action suit.

It's hard to believe that no one has filed a class action suit against this model. It is worse than the firts one. Let me kno if there is a class action suit.

38530a79, 2008-12-22, 03:55AM CST

I would like to contact the attorneys that handled the first class action suit. My clothes have experienced everything yours have. My lid is rusted and has mold. Less than 4 years since purchase and my repair guy says that issue with the clothes not spinning out is the clutch. YEAH RIGHT. This is a lemon. If anyone has the info for the original suit I'd like it. I just spent 1700 on a new washer to replace this stupid thing.

76e5cde3, 2009-09-01, 10:20PM CDT

I absolutely hate this washing machine. I am buying another one after five years of complaining. I have MOLD, MOLD, MOLD, MILDEW and MILDEW all over my machine and clothes. This is the worst machine I have ever owned. Going back to an aggitator machine by Kennmore. This machine is a hunk of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88c78224, 2010-01-07, 01:56PM CST

I have the same problem, please let me know if you have a class action suit against maytag for the very same problem.

3c19ed71, 2010-01-20, 09:43AM CST

I have had this washer for almost 4 years...what a terrible design. Shame on Maytag for selling this design to the public knowing the problems it would cause...I believe they only went forward with this product knowing that they could grab enough consumers because it appears innovative and new. The rotating discs are a huge design even when working properly. The entire load becomes tied in one huge knot that takes about 15 min to untie in order to get the closthes in the dryer....and to top that off, the dryer can't get all the severe wrinkles out caused by the knotting...I then have to IRON everything from shirts to blue jeans! What a piece of #%!!? !