Acer LCD killed my hardware

Posted on Wednesday, May 24th, 2006 at 5:26pm CDT by da3594aa

Company: Acer LCD killed my hardware

I purchased an Acer 19" LCD monitor from Staples one month ago because it was supposed to have a $50 instant rebate and $50 "easy" rebate. When my "easy" rebate was declined I didn't want to mess with it so I took it back for a refund. This was after the hardware problems.

I plugged it into a machine with my Radeon 9800 Pro video card (~$300). The monitor went blank after booting. I took the card out and used the onboard video on the eMachine (~$500). No video. I plugged the monitor into a machine with a BFG Tech FX5700LE video card (~$100). No video. As I later found out, every piece of hardware that monitor touched went completely dead. Luckily, the BFG Tech card had a lifetime warranty and the eMachine was within warranty. I had to buy another motherboard for the other machine (~$50), but I'm out my high-end video card.

I tried to contact Acer, but they didn't reply to my multiple emails and when I tried the "contact us" page on their site, I got a 404 error. Staples said they wouldn't do anything for me, but did give me a number for BenQ, who then gave me a number for Acer. When I called Acer they told me there was nothing they could do because I didn't have the monitor. That's somewhat understandable except that I didn't want to risk losing my money by not being able to take it back to Staples within their 14 day period. I was insulted by the rep saying that it's not possible for a monitor to do that. I told her I have three video cards and another motherboard that prove different. She also said that even if I did have the monitor, they might not do anything to make up for it because I wasn't using an Acer PC.

The simple fact of the matter is that I was treated poorly, basically being called a liar. I'm out hundreds of dollars of equipment and they didn't seem interested in doing anything for me.

_____

Upgrade for free to Windows Live Mail beta and you could win an African Safari Learn more