Acer LCD killed my hardware

Posted on Wednesday, May 24th, 2006 at 5:26pm CDT by da3594aa

Company: Acer LCD killed my hardware

I purchased an Acer 19" LCD monitor from Staples one month ago because it was supposed to have a $50 instant rebate and $50 "easy" rebate. When my "easy" rebate was declined I didn't want to mess with it so I took it back for a refund. This was after the hardware problems.

I plugged it into a machine with my Radeon 9800 Pro video card (~$300). The monitor went blank after booting. I took the card out and used the onboard video on the eMachine (~$500). No video. I plugged the monitor into a machine with a BFG Tech FX5700LE video card (~$100). No video. As I later found out, every piece of hardware that monitor touched went completely dead. Luckily, the BFG Tech card had a lifetime warranty and the eMachine was within warranty. I had to buy another motherboard for the other machine (~$50), but I'm out my high-end video card.

I tried to contact Acer, but they didn't reply to my multiple emails and when I tried the "contact us" page on their site, I got a 404 error. Staples said they wouldn't do anything for me, but did give me a number for BenQ, who then gave me a number for Acer. When I called Acer they told me there was nothing they could do because I didn't have the monitor. That's somewhat understandable except that I didn't want to risk losing my money by not being able to take it back to Staples within their 14 day period. I was insulted by the rep saying that it's not possible for a monitor to do that. I told her I have three video cards and another motherboard that prove different. She also said that even if I did have the monitor, they might not do anything to make up for it because I wasn't using an Acer PC.

The simple fact of the matter is that I was treated poorly, basically being called a liar. I'm out hundreds of dollars of equipment and they didn't seem interested in doing anything for me.

Upgrade for free to Windows Live Mail beta and you could win an African Safari Learn more