Doubleday Book Club - Doubleday Book Club Complaint

Posted on Thursday, May 18th, 2006 at 1:07pm CDT by c8e62856

Company: Doubleday Book Club

Category: Unauthorized Charges

I searched complaints.com to see if anyone else had ever experienced the same issue but could not find anything. In December I received several books from this club, and they claimed I had an account with them. I never signed up to receive their books, and never signed up for an account. At first I thought that the previous owner of my condo had ordered the books, because I get mail for her all the time, but my name was right on the package and bill. I emailed Doubleday requesting that they cancel the membership because I never signed up, and they apologized and cancelled it. They also said they would send me a shipping label to return the books. On two separate occasions I was told by email that should be receiving the shiping labels but they never arrived.

I continued to get bills from them, and the bill has been turned over to collections now. I refuse to pay it since I did not sign up for an account and did not order the books. I don't understand how this can be turned over to collections if I wasn't the one who signed up. unfortunately I do not know who would have done this.

I am convinced that Doubleday sent out this order to me on their own accord. I have received a lot of things in the mail that I did not request just after I moved.

I recommend not dealing with this book club at all. I have received no cooperation from them and asked several times why they would accept an order from someone claiming to be someone else, and they would not respond.

3963fab1, 2008-04-22, 12:32PM CDT

We've had a similar situation at our house. Yesterday I picked up a parcel for my (20 yo) son. When I handed it to him, he said he hadn't ordered anything and looked puzzled. Turns out it was new membership in the Doubleday Children's Book Club! In it were a copy of Blueberries for Sal and Blue Hat/Green Hat. Right. For a 20 year old!

I called and they kept saying that they couldn't talk to me because of privacy issues and kept on with that rant even when I said I was only wanting to complain about their general policies.

She did tell me how it supposedly happened, though I'll have to ask my son about it. She said he probably clicked on a popup for a contest and gave them the info in order to enter the contest. *If* that's true, and I somehow doubt it, that's an extremely sleazy way to get new customers. I'm sure a lot of people would either send it back or pay, enough that the ones that don't get sent back or paid for don't matter to them.

Hopefully this will be the end of it, and he won't keep getting bills, etc.

My daughter had a similar experience and said they were very rude to her on the phone about it. They told her she had to send the books back and got angry when she said she didn't have time for that. (She has 5 kids.)

fddeb181, 2008-07-20, 08:47PM CDT

I did have an account and fulfilled a contract and cancelled the membership.

After the membership was cancelled for 4 months, I received more books from the "editors choice". I sent them back, rang and wrote again and then they sent me another bill for the books with interest!

I have not written to office of fair trading. Others should do the same.

fba4a7db, 2008-08-03, 06:12PM CDT

I just received the same mysterious delivery. Reading the fine print I discovered the scam: "You have received this offer of credit" [can you believe this?] "...becase you satisfied our criteria for credit worthiness..."

You have to contact "Experian Opt Out" to NOT be sent crap that you didn't order.

This is the result of all of the bogus deregulation of the last 10-20 years (sadly, as much Clinton as anyone).

36240b1d, 2008-08-05, 03:09AM CDT

I have had the EXACT SAME problem.

I am being threatened with prosecution over four books:

1- I NEVER asked for

2- I promptly returned with a membership cancellation request.

I have sent them around 5 letters first asking then demanding that the cancel my "membership" with no luck.

I too very strongly recommend that people do not deal with them in any way.. they now want for the four books (which I no longer have) 118.92 USDs. They have caused problems with my online credit card which they had no right to tamper with SINCE I requested the membership to be cancelled and I gave BACK the books!!!

288de642, 2008-08-21, 07:28AM CDT

On the invoice should be their telephone number. Call them and tell them to remove the charges because you did not sign up for this service. If necessary ask for the team lead. I used to work there, and the procedure was to remove the charges and send a postage paid label if requested. It is possible it was set up by taking a survey or entering a contest. With these two things (contest/survey) you have to take advantage of some offers in order to get the free gift. Although it would be nice to blame the book club for that, it actually isn't them. They're just one of the offers. It's the website that you're at that is enrolling you without your permission. If you know which website you were at, let the team lead know so they can file a complaint with the bookclubs IT team.

9029e1ed, 2008-11-14, 11:49AM CST

My 18 year old daughter received sexually explicit books in the mail with a bill from Doubleday. When I called to chew them out, they said that I didn't have to return the books, that they would cancel the account, and that I should disregard the bill. She never ordered anything from Doubleday. I also think they did this of their own accord. DO NOT DEAL WITH DOUBLEDAY under any circumstances!

bd95b680, 2008-11-24, 01:55PM CST

Same here, I got two package with some books, that I didn't order. I just got the invoice today with some late charges. This is crazy and big waste of my time.

bd5ea3b9, 2009-01-09, 10:06AM CST

I have the similar experience. This company is just a fraud.

8eb65c8e, 2009-02-12, 02:59PM CST

I also received a book about 5 months after I cancelled my membership. I called them, and was told "that it runs on an automatic cycle", but they would send me the return shipping label. 16 months later, they've turned me over to a collection agency, and are wreaking havoc with my credit history because they just simply refuse to send this label. I am now going that extra mile and getting the BBB, Consumer Affairs as well as my state's AG involved. This is ridiculous.

8fe39541, 2010-02-03, 10:13AM CST

They just charged me for 102.84 on my credit card. I don't even have automatic collections set up for them.

No reason. All 'monthly selections' have been declined to date. The last book I purchased they sent the wrong book - and that one only costs 17$.

822cf312, 2010-05-28, 01:03PM CDT

I'm another victim. Do not join unless you are planning to run your own public library :) Or you are a voracious reader with lots of dough to spare. (I do not blame them for running this scam but I do blame myself for falling prey)

b45b710c, 2010-11-06, 11:01PM CDT

I found out in April 2010 that there was a $125 outstanding balance at Doubleday Book Club on my credit from 2004. The same day I saw this on my credit report I called the number and even though I believed that I wasn't the one who opened the account (I had moved from Oklahoma that year), I paid it immediately. That was 7 months ago. Right after I paid it, I began getting phone calls from a collection agency about the $125. I had PAID Doubleday and then they sent it to a collection agency AFTER it had been paid. In 7 months and more than a dozen phone calls later, I could not get either company to contact the other, Doubleday never sent me a receipt and letter stating it was paid in full and as of yesterday, it is STILL on my credit report as a balance owed. I have contacted Experian to dispute this. And I will make sure I tell everyone I know what has happened to me with this company. And as an added slap in the face, suddenly after it was paid, I got notices from Doubleday asking me to "come back"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ffbac98b, 2012-05-17, 09:10PM CDT

i just has same thing happening to me today i cancelled my accound 3 times then got book s send out that i returned to sender and they declaired they dint recieve them.. so pay collectors today... and then phone double day for money back but they want me to drive 300km to justice of the peace for stat declaration

they a scam

kelley m., 2012-09-25, 06:51PM CDT

I was told that I had to purchase 4 books in a year. They have two end dates for me by the way. I purchased the 4 books at what they had listed as member price and did not have it marked a special price. After I seen the books had been shipped, I called to cancel the membership. I was told by to different email address that the books have to be at least 9.98 and my books were under that price. I was told that I still need to purchase 4 more books in the next four days or I will be billed at Your membership term will expire on or about 9/28/2012, and we noticed that you still need to buy four books to complete your purchase obligation.

If

you don't fulfill your purchase obligation, you will be billed for four books at an average price of $21.38 for a total charge of $85.52 (adding any applicable sales tax). The total charges are calculated by taking the number of outstanding books you still need to buy, multiplied by the club's average book price (including shipping & processing and any applicable sales tax). Additionally, if you have a PayPal account or credit/debit card on file at the end of your commitment period, your account may be charged for the remaining books required to complete your purchase commitment.

Kathleen G., 2013-02-22, 10:51AM CST

I also was tricked by the membership terms regsrding 4 books in 1 yr(excluding anything under $9.98, regardless of whether a discount was offered for the purchase of 2 books get 1 free). I spoke to customer rep online, voiced my objections,purchased the required items and am now cancelling my membership. (I was also threatened auto-debit from my bank account if my obligation was not fulfilled by feb.12th.

Understandably I want to discourage anyone from joining Doubleday Book Club as they are not straight-forward in their dealings and terms w/ customers. However, I do recommend to you an on-line booksite called Alibris. They offer an endless selection of new & used books, music & movies. I have been purchasing from them for 5 years now & have had only 2 disappointments which they corrected promptly.

Regards...Kathleen

c1a0f3ae, 2014-01-17, 09:08PM CST

Where can I find Choirs Claviers and Computers/ software in a book. I have a program for windows 95, I now have windows 7 or 8. thank you Mike