Dish Network

Posted on Thursday, June 1st, 2006 at 5:51pm CDT by 1d5657c2

Company: Dish Network

Category: Unsolicited Phone Calls

I am receiving unwanted telemarketing calls from Dish Network despite the fact that I have been registered with the Do-Not-Call registry since its inception. I receive up to 5 calls per week from this company, sometimes several calls on the same day. The calls are coming from a blocked number listed on my caller ID as "Unknown Name, Unknown Number." When I ask the callers for a contact phone number, they give false or inaccurate phone numbers or hang up immediately. One caller asked for personal information including my address and birthdate, and one caller insisted that I must sign up with Dish Network before he could provide a contact phone number.

Recently, I spoke with Kenneth Diaz, Dispute Resolution Specialist at Dish Network, and he denied any Corporate responsibility for calls originating from their "independent distributors". He said I must do more to identify the callers and obtain a phone number from them before my complaint will be taken seriously. How can I do this when it seems to be corporate policy to avoid providing this information?

Below, please see a letter I mailed on April 10, 2006 which details my efforts to stop these unwanted telemarketing calls from Dish Network. So far, only the Better Business Bureau responded with more than a form letter.

**********************************

Washington, DC 20554

April 10, 2006

RE: Dish Network violation of Do Not Call request

To Whom it May Concern:

I am aware that no provision is made for enforcement of individual violations of the Do Not Call registry.

However, I wish to make you aware of a consistent pattern of abuse by Dish Network which reveals a corporate disregard for the restrictions imposed by Do Not Call legislation.

I have been receiving unwanted calls from Dish Network, as often as three times per week, for the last three or four years. Each time, I have asked the caller to remove me from his/her calling list. When the Do Not Call registry was initiated, I immediately added my phone number to the registry. I have continued to receive calls from Dish Network. Recently, I asked to speak with the caller’s supervisor and I was disconnected immediately. After several similar calls, during which time I realized that the disconnect was a planned response rather than an accident, I decided to begin reporting the unwanted calls using www.donotcall.gov. I have reported at least 10-12 calls in the last couple of months. In addition, I have called Dish Network directly on three occasions (the first time on February 1, 2006) to ask that my name and phone number be removed from their calling list--I am STILL receiving calls.

It is obvious to me that Dish Network lacks the desire and the internal controls to comply with the requirements of Do Not Call legislation.

Please put some teeth into the enforcement of Do Not Call legislation. By repeatedly asking to be removed from their calling list, by reporting the recent violations, and by taking the initiative to contact Dish Network directly, I have taken every step available to stop these unwanted calls—so far, without success. I hope that you will take the next step by investigating and penalizing this company for its disregard of the law.

Emily Khan