Nikon Coolpix 5400

Posted on Friday, February 17th, 2006 at 8:19am CST by 137daa03

Company: Nikon Coolpix 5400

I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5400 in October, 2003. I paid $800 for this camera. The camera has performed fine. However, while carrying the camera around my neck recently, the bracket on the left side for the strap came out of the camera without warning and consequently the camera hit the ground. Needless to say, the camera was rendered useless.

I contacted Nikon explaining the situation to them. That the bracket coming out of the camera had nothing to do with misuse of any kind. They told me to send them the camera, receipt, warranty which I did. I then got a letter stating that it would cost me $170.90 to fix and did I want them to fix it. They claim that the warranty did not cover this damage. What choice did I have but to pay it.

I'm very upset that Nikon will not stand behind their product and repair the camera without cost to me. I had no control over the bracket coming out of the camera. This is definitely a product failure/defect yet Nikon will not acknowledge this and do the right thing. I am highly disappointed in how they treat their customers and I will not purchase anymore products from their company in the future. I have written a complaint letter to their company here in the states. I'm sure it will be filed in the trash bin.

It's no wonder they trail 4th place in sales. Could it be their callous treatment of their customers?