PopularLink stock certificates

Posted on Sunday, December 17th, 2006 at 1:10pm CST by 777294a7

Company: PopularLink stock certificates

I have emails re PopularLink issuing 5 shares of stock and getting stock certificates. I have the stock certificate numbers they assigned me via email, but no certificates were ever mailed to me. They were giving away free stock for referring friends to them, which I did. I have four emails regarding this. They do not answer any emails. Do I have any sort of claim or suit against them? Donna Grieve

f0ca818e, 2007-11-10, 03:40PM CST

I too have stock numbers for 5 stocks I was given by the company. I printed out the reservation number page from this. The date on the print-out is 6/29/01. I never received any further notice and would like to know if this is legit.

a165b6c5, 2007-11-12, 04:47PM CST

I have the same problem I was issued 6 stock certificates and have emails to confirm but never ever heard anything from them later. Mine are from 1999 so I guess this was a scam! Martha - Texas

5f61ee21, 2007-12-18, 05:13PM CST

I also have shares of stock from PopularLink, did you ever receive any additional information on this?

63711113, 2007-12-30, 06:01PM CST

I have these also. What is the current status?

745e0941, 2008-03-08, 09:27PM CST

me too donna grieve, help me if you find anything out [email protected] i also was givin 5 shares in 1999 with #s

6e731bae, 2008-04-01, 08:48PM CDT

I am like all of you with the holding of (5) stocks in Popularlink. Has anyone figured out what if anything is the value of what we are holding?

a511edc4, 2008-04-23, 10:01PM CDT

I have "shares of stock" also. I never received my certificate either. Even though they gave us a choice 5 free share or $25 cash bonus, it seems either way it was a lose - lose situation. I wish we could file a suit against them.

876fb6b0, 2008-04-28, 11:51AM CDT

I e-mailed them previously and never heard from them.

My co-owner # dates back to 7/26/99

What is the story on this company?

03e6a36f, 2008-05-18, 05:28PM CDT

Please read the article on the attached link. http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-515193.html It appears that it was a promotoinal scheme, not legit. It also talks about tradehall.com stock.

190504b0, 2008-06-08, 12:47AM CDT

Have you come across anything else on this. I also have the same emails etc dated back from June 99....

4d44a62c, 2008-07-09, 09:15PM CDT

I also have 7 shares of stock from 1999 with the stock certificate numbers! I am so mad that this has turned out to be a scam!!! What can we do??

e536ce35, 2008-10-03, 12:27PM CDT

I HAVE EMAILS DATING BACK TO 6/1/1999 SAYING I HAVE 5 SHARES IN POPULARLINK, ALSO. AND I HAVE EXTRA ONES FOR REFERRING CUSTOMERS. I CANNOT FIND ANY LINKS FOR THEM EVEN THOUGH I EMAIL ADDRESSES THAT DON'T WORK. WE NEED TO FIND OUT IF IT IS BOGUS OR IF WE CAN GET OUR STOCK CERTIFICATES. I EVEN HAVE MY STOCK NUMBERS.

0a288935, 2008-10-05, 01:06AM CDT

i have the same problem, stock numbers and no certificates. anyone know what we can do?

2e4223f6, 2008-10-09, 08:29AM CDT

I have the same situation as all these emails. The problem is I don't see an answer to them. What use is this site if there is not a resolution?

5390dfee, 2008-11-15, 12:58PM CST

I have the same problem as everyone else. I have 5 stock numbers for popularlink dating back to 6/21/99 but have never received share certificates. Has anyone received any resolution or further information on this issue? Thanks.

dccd9597, 2008-11-29, 07:47PM CST

I too have 17 shares of what appears to be bogus stock from Popularlink. It appears this is illegal but whether anything can be done...? who knows. Here's some info I found. http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-102817.html. Terrie

8d2dbfc0, 2009-02-06, 02:04PM CST

I too have 6 shares, and have still kept the emails with my reservation numbers. Is anything ever going to come of this. Are we wasting our time? Is there anyone who has a contact or even know where this company exists? My email is [email protected]

Good luck to us all!

892a40e3, 2009-02-09, 11:28PM CST

I too have 9 shares. The link http://www.popularlink.com just gives a 403 Forbiden error. What's up with this and can anything be done?

7f967b82, 2009-06-22, 11:03AM CDT

Does anyone know what if anything came out of this popular link free ipo deal.

11755835, 2009-08-21, 03:54PM CDT

I received the following response to a question I asked. The response is dated 10/19/04:

"At this time, the company will not be able to go public. With the downward trend in the market over the past couple of years, it has made the IPO not possible for us. We do apologize for this inconvenience as it was the intention of the company to go public. You may still hold on to the reservation numbers given in the past as they are still kept in our system for reference. Should a possibility open up for us to go public, you will be notified accordingly. Thank you."

As it appears that the "www.popularlink.com" site is no longer functional (I get a "403 Forbidden" now), I'm going to guess that the company folded in the last couple of years.

688a7fad, 2009-09-22, 07:50PM CDT

It appears we've all been scammed and have lost on this one. Like the rest of you, I too have shares and did not ever receive the certificates. I still have my reservation numbers but at this point I guess its not much good.

Brenda Fugate

14ccf0a0, 2009-11-01, 06:31PM CST

i have 5 stock numbers issued by popularlink dated 9/24/2002. where are the stocks? i've heard nothing even tho i purchased quite alot from them befor the changed teir offerings.

f814f7ce, 2009-11-30, 05:59PM CST

I also have 5 stocks acquired in the very same way as this stock holder. What can we do to receive the certificates or find out what the stocks are worth. I also have the stock numbers in my possession. Thanks!

2794bc93, 2009-12-03, 01:31PM CST

I too received 5 free shares and have the stock numbers as well. We need to do a class action suit against this company. I am sure that someone who was affiliated with this in 1999 can be found.

1f3b4ef3, 2009-12-10, 06:43AM CST

Might as well add me to the list. I'd forgotten all about this "offering" until I came across the e-mail with my stock numbers on it when I was getting ready to move. I should have taken the $25 cash bonus instead, but then would I have received that? Luckily I expect to have the same e-mail address, so that when the stocks begin to soar :} they'll know how to contact me. Too bad the person who referred me isn't around anymore so I could thank him (?).

d3e7a025, 2010-02-19, 03:43PM CST

I would like to add my name to this long list of unhappy consumers as i also have an e-mail from 6-24-2001 with my 6 shares numbers? I also think we should all look into a class action suit!

76d27b01, 2010-02-24, 12:01PM CST

I got my 7 shares of stock in june of 1999, I too cannot find popularlink sites for this stock, class action should be the way to go but who would you get ahold of for this, can't be leagle. I want my shares, I did my part.

ebba5c35, 2010-03-11, 08:01PM CST

I also have received an email from PopularLink on June 25, 2001 for 11 shares for referrals and was trying to find out how much they are worth but I cannot contact anyone from popularlink or find my stock numbers. I want to be included in the claim or suit as well.

Darlene Williams

b1159a34, 2010-03-17, 03:38PM CDT

Add me to the list. I too purchased shares. I kept trying to find the site and couldn't get into it.

Deborah

aa3238df, 2010-03-20, 07:54PM CDT

I too own 7 stocks in this so called company. I got hold of them by e-mail in March 2002 and could never get them again. I think a law suit is in order if we can find the perpitrators.

3c63cef0, 2010-03-28, 06:18PM CDT

You can add me the the long list too I guess with yours as I have 5 from Sept 6 1999 and have had no luck with getting them either, but like yours it was all done email so all I have is the numbers and the letter they sent with it. I think we are just taken again by the waves in the sky.

4bc58222, 2010-04-20, 12:17AM CDT

I was issued 5 share numbers as well. I contacted popularlink a long time ago as in a couple of years ago and got the same message as another person who commented here. They basically told me to hold on to the numbers just in case things turned around which of course never happend. Oh well. I didn't have to buy anything so I am not really complaining but if there is some kind of a lawsuit I would like to know.

49f43573, 2010-04-27, 09:34PM CDT

I too have an email from July 14, 1999 stating I have 5 shares with the 5 reservation numbers listed. Sure wish something could become of this almost 11 years later. I will hold on to these pages for as long as it takes.

My email: [email protected]

49f43573, 2010-05-08, 11:50AM CDT

I had posted earlier sine I to have two emails from [email protected] to both emails (one dated 14,July1999 and the other dated 06,Feb 2001)they welcomed me as part co-owner of the company and gave me 5 shares each email, so I have a total of 10 shares and I still have the printout to this day with all the reservation numbers on it. I to went around and told people about this bacn then. We should get some type of compensation for our work.

d352b40b, 2010-06-08, 08:47PM CDT

Add me to this list. I'm looking at my email dated 6/17/99, with my five (5) shares on it.

1b1a29a8, 2010-08-12, 02:51PM CDT

Add me too. I have 5 shares also from July 29,1999. I just found this site today so i was wandering if anyone found out anything?

a84f6dc0, 2010-08-16, 10:12PM CDT

Add me to the list as well. My email is dated 08/21/1999. I have my stock numbers but no certificates. I have moved several times since then. So new address and email.

1fe659c9, 2010-09-01, 06:15PM CDT

Add me too! I still have the email from September 1999 I found in a box and the numbers they sent.

0e74c7be, 2010-09-11, 06:59PM CDT

I have emails re PopularLink issuing 11 shares I have the stock certificate numbers they assigned me via email, but no certificates were ever mailed to me.

Do I have any sort of claim or suit against them? John Womack

3c9b030c, 2010-09-26, 11:50AM CDT

Add me to the list also.

ce534953, 2010-10-02, 01:36PM CDT

I have 8 stock shares also of Popular Link. Do I have any sort of claim against them E. Sienkiewicz

7c4d24cd, 2010-10-05, 08:53AM CDT

I am yet another who has 7 shares from 1999, so if anything is going to happen, count me in

307a2050, 2010-10-06, 07:30AM CDT

It sounds like a plausible Internet-age moneymaking scheme: a Web startup giving away free stock as a promotional scheme. The user has nothing to lose, and -- who knows? -- the company could end up being the next Amazon.com.

There's just one problem: the free-stock offer is illegal.

The Securities and Exchange Commission has recently begun issuing warnings about the innocuous-sounding free-stock deals, which are promoted by e-mails sent from one friend to another.

"A company called Tradehall (very similar to eBay, whose stock has skyrocketed) is giving away free stock as a promotional stunt. (The stock is not yet public.)" read one such e-mail. "They are trying to generate interest in their startup." The message then gives instructions on how to sign up for shares of stock.

Tradehall says the promotional deal has signed up nearly one million members. A site called Popularlink.com is also promoting a stock giveaway.

After a user signs up for stock, he is given a referral code; when another person signs up using that referral code, the first person typically gets additional stock.

No-good stocks

The SEC says the technique is out of bounds partly because such offers aren't regulated.

"Generally you can't do offers like this," said SEC spokesman Duncan King. "There are a lot of issues around it, but one of them is that you're creating a market in unregistered securities."

He said that even though the offers are just promotional tools, "if stock is involved, you can't do it."

It would be difficult to think of a better giveaway than Internet stocks, which have achieved a reputation for making billionaires out of twentysomethings, after a persistent rise in shares of companies such as Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO) and Amazon.com (Nasdaq:AMZN).

Riding the wave

In fact, the e-mails promoting the stock giveaways name such stocks to attract additional interest. A message telling people to get free Popularlink.com stock -- which does not appear to have been sent by Popularlink -- stated that "the last company to try this route is now listed on the Nasdaq (Amazon)."

However, Amazon.com flatly denied participating in any such scheme. "It's something we haven't done," said Amazon spokesman Bill Curry, who added that the company had never even contemplated a stock giveaway.

The SEC's King said the Internet allows such too-good-to-be-true offers to find a much wider audience than they would otherwise.

"It's making these things much more possible," King said. "As a medium, the Internet is a cheap, effective way to reach millions of people."

He said that while the SEC does intend to enforce its regulations on free-stock cases, it has never prosecuted such a case in the Internet era.

Popularlink and Tradehall could not be reached for comment.

f7b7ecfd, 2010-10-09, 09:31PM CDT

I too have an email dated 22 Jun 99 with 6 shares and the reservation number.

f39fd807, 2010-11-13, 12:23PM CST

I have 5 shares also. What is the current status? Does anybody know?

f814f7ce, 2010-11-23, 01:46PM CST

I am also holding 5 shares of popularlink so please inclide me in the solution process.

adfdbb7d, 2011-01-26, 02:27PM CST

add me to the list; 5 shares listed in an e-mail from 7/8/1999

c5ca1816, 2011-03-02, 09:25PM CST

I also have the email issuing me the reservation numbers of the 5 shares. The email is dated 7/8//99. Guess the "stocks" are worth less than the paper the email is printed on.

9ec6bdc2, 2011-03-09, 08:47AM CST

It was all a scam from what I can discern. They did respond to one email back in 2003 but the info was meaningless.

31365e3d, 2011-03-10, 04:07PM CST

I have 5 also from june of 1999 I guess they are worthless

7f78e42a, 2011-03-19, 05:11AM CDT

I also have emails from them of this sort... please add me

df2a0e8a, 2011-03-22, 05:51PM CDT

Yes, I too have 5 shares of popularlink.com stock, from June 1999.

I did email popularlink in 2004 and here was their response, dated 5/6/2004:

At this time, the company will not be able to go public. With the downward trend in the market over the past couple years, it has made the IPO not possible for us. We do apologize for this inconvenience as it was the intention of the company to go public. You may still hold on to the reservation numbers given in the past as they are still kept in our system for reference. Should a possibility open up for us to go public, you will be notified accordingly. Thank you.

6dd2b458, 2011-05-06, 11:45AM CDT

I also have five shares and have tried to find out anything for years, and now the site seems to be down. I too would like to be notified about any legal action we can take.

b9654c87, 2011-05-19, 07:37AM CDT

same here...5 shares. here is the email i got from them in 2005

646f3ac3, 2011-06-27, 06:21PM CDT

I have an email dated 1999 stating I have 6 reservation numbers... and never heard anything more on this. SO, I am getting that there is NO recourse, just hold on to the number "incase they go public"? Is that correct?

fd17a971, 2011-08-10, 02:12PM CDT

My husband& I also have the so-called shares with this company. Cannot understand what is going on???I have 5 id. numbers they gave me, but that is it. Wish we all could get some answers!

54efa88b, 2011-08-20, 07:59PM CDT

I did the same as you have done in 1999 with the same results. Forget it and move on.

4077f63b, 2012-01-10, 07:58PM CST

I have 10 stock certificates. I know they responded in '04 about not being able to go public back then, and that our info would be kept in their system for future notification if they did. Does anyone know how to update our information with them? My contact info (email address, etc.) that I had in 1999 has changed. Does anyone know how to contact the company to update it?

dee03d75, 2012-01-17, 08:56AM CST

For some odd reason I to have been holding onto these emails. I was up to 12 stocks. That's too bad because I was hoping to retire on this. I guess I'll have to work a few more years. Story of my life.

bf725bbc, 2012-01-19, 01:18PM CST

I too have 8 stock numbers and my e-mail is dated 12/2/2002. Anyone know what is going on??

5124d902, 2012-01-27, 12:08PM CST

Adding my name to the list of Popular Link curious wonderers. I have 30 shares assigned back in June of 1999. I think this ship may have sailed a long time ago but I longer work at the email where everything originated.

8b46923e, 2012-03-13, 03:05PM CDT

same letter i got and i have " 19 stocks

"

37640f6b, 2012-04-14, 03:29PM CDT

I also just came across the paperwork for the free stock and bonus stock numbers for referrals from 1999.No longer have that email address.

56330a67, 2012-05-14, 03:58PM CDT

I had moved back in 2008 to no.carolina where i live now.i too joined and i'm sitting on 11 with numbers to identify etc. i got them back in 1999 and 2003 with a bonus.

wow could you imagine if it comes back to life and how much they could be worth.

only problem is that we can not find them.

56330a67, 2012-05-14, 04:14PM CDT

only problem is that we can not find them.

f we do not find any information regarding the old company being researched, you are not charged for our service or time. In fact, we don't even charge you until our research is completed. If you are interested in using our service, Click Here to go to our secure server for ordering instructions to pay by credit card or by Paypal or you can use the blue form below. If you rather pay by check or send us your credit card information by mail, you can print out our Fax and Mail Order Form by Clicking Here.

Old Stock Research Service - Our old company research process usually takes anywhere from several days up to three weeks once payment method had been received. If you would like to use this service, please go to the bottom of this page and complete the information to sign up on our secure server. At a minimum, we will need the company's name, state of incorporation, and the date the certificate was issued. Once you complete the form below please click on add to shopping cart. If you have more than one company to research, please follow the same process. If you would rather order by mail or fax, or you can print out our Mail and Fax Order Form by Clicking Here to send us the information.

If you have any questions, please call us toll free at 1-888-STOCKS6 or 703-787-3552 or send us an email to Old Company Research .

If we do not find any information regarding the company we are researching, you are not charged. In fact, your credit card is not charged or check is not deposited until we find out what happened to the company. If you would like to proceed, please provided payment information for this service on our secure server by clicking on the Add to Cart button below and simply follow the instructions. If you have any questions, please call our toll free number at 1-888-STOCKS6. If you prefer to pay by check, please send the check and a copy of both sides of the certificate to:

Scripophily.com

Lockbox Payment

P.O. Box 223795

Chantilly, Virginia

20153

Toll Free 1-888-STOCKS6 (1-888-786-2576)

Direct 703-579-4209

Fax 703-995-4422

Normal Price: $69.95 Our Sales Price: $39.95(You Save: 43%) - Order Below

To order the research online, please fill in the following information for the company to research and click on the"Add to Cart" button on the Right ". For more than one company to be researched, simply click on the + below to add another form.

1. Full Company Name:

2. State or Province and Country of Incorporation:

3. Year of Incorporation, if available:

4. Par Value of Stock, if available:

5. Date Certificate was Issued:

[ + ] Add another company

Once you enter the company information on the left, please click the "Add to Cart" button below to process the order in our

Yahoo Secure Server:

If you have any questions, please call our toll free number at 1-888-STOCKS6 ( 1-888-786-2576 ) or dial direct to 703-579-4209.

There are other companies who provide a similar service and they will charge up to $100. In addition, some of them will even want you to split any monies (up to 30%) that can be collected if the certificates are redeemable. There are no other fees with our service. We simply provide you the information about the company and how to contact them (or their acquirers) if they still exist.

Included in our low service fee, we will also show you how to search for unclaimed property on the internet at no additional charge. The origin of unclaimed property law dates back to British common law. Abandoned land was returned to the king along with the transfer of the property rights. Today, this concept has been adopted by the states and applied to intangible property as well as tangible property, excluding real estate. The states do not take permanent title to the property but act as custodians to safeguard it for the rightful owner or their heir until claimed. In many states, there is no time limitation for filing a claim, however the funds can be comingled with state funds if the rightful owner cannot be found.

We began this service due to the continued requests we were receiving from customers asking for a reasonably priced internet service to research old stocks. There were other companies in the research business ( over 20 years ) purporting to be experts in Researching Stock Certificates and charging what we considered to be high prices. In 1999, we decided to give them a little competition in the research business. Although some of those higher and lower priced old stock research competitors are not happy about our Old Company Service, you can see what our customers say about our products and decide for yourself by Clicking Here. As can be seen on our Stock Research Website and our Scripophily website, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction. By the way, we will help you find the information on your own if you can't afford this service. You can always call our toll free number for help at 1-888-STOCKS6 or direct at 703-579-4209. Our fax numbers are 703-995-4422 or 703-904-0878

We have been on the Internet for over 14 years with our Scripophily.com website and have been in business since 1990 . We have extensive experience dealing with Estates, Bankers, Attorneys, Wall Street Professionals, C.P.A.'s, Trustee's and individuals. We are in this business for the long run and believe in quality customer service. You also can see us in the News at ScripophilyNews.com.

Be careful with some other stock research services that are not members of the Better Business Bureau, have little business experience and claim to be experts in collectible stock and bond certificates. Many of these so called experts have little experience in determining whether your old company stock has real value as a collectible or redeemable security. Always check to see what the Better Business Bureau says about them.

We are proud of number of orders and positive feedback and testimonials we have received from our satisfied customers at Scripophily.com during the years. We always strive for 100% customer satisfaction and dedication, business experience and commitment to quality service.

We have invested thousands of dollars in research materials in order to provide you the answers you need. This along with our over 34 years of business experience provides you with quality information to make decisions. We will continue to acquire new resources as they become available so we can provide our customers with the highest quality service at a most competitive price.

For more information about my background, please click here. Efficiency and quality customer service is the key to our success.

Sincerely,

Bob Kerstein

CEO, Scripophily.com

Member of the American Institute of Certificate Public Accountants

c8b223cc, 2012-07-09, 08:40AM CDT

I'm so surprised there are comments on this "free stock" from PopularLink as recently as March 2012! I just ran across my certificate; of course I have never heard another word from the "company". It makes me smile to read that some people want to sue the company...for what? We paid nothing; we received nothing. Someone would hire a lawyer to take on this nothing situation....that's ridiculous! I'll hang on to the email with my 5 numbers just because it isn't taking up much room in my life. But, do I feel angry....of course not; just disappointed. I'm not out any money.

Raul R., 2012-08-21, 03:09PM CDT

I to have 5 stocks in this company when does it go public????

my former email was [email protected]

Henry, 2012-08-23, 02:59PM CDT

Add me to the list of stockholders with certificate numbers but no stocks. I was cleaning out some old papers and found them today and thought perhaps I'd discovered a forgotten windfall. Popularlink is apparently no longer, but if they merged with another entity then perhaps?

ad20a569, 2013-08-29, 02:23PM CDT

WE have 11 stock numbers dating 19 June 1999. Letter tells us "Thanks for joining as a new-co-owner". I hate it when people pull stunts like this. What a rip off. Don't guess we will every be able to do anything about this one. L & M Smith

773a510d, 2013-12-05, 07:53PM CST

I have 7 shares too from back in 1998 with Popularlink. I recently received a letter from Travelzoo advising me that since I never responded to their last letter (which I don't recall ever receiving) advising me that this Bahamas company that I got the shares through was merging with Travelzoo and since I didn't transfer my shares over to Travelzoo, I need to cash out these shares at the current Travelzoo price or the money for those shares will be turned over to the state that you lived in at the time you received the shares. I did not receive certificates either, but I guess you don't need them. I gave them the info needed in order to receive the money so I hope it's legit or I'm in trouble..

Mike W., 2014-02-06, 04:33PM CST

and I also have 5 shares from August of 1999...put me on the list

Anney, 2014-02-15, 11:14AM CST

I, too, fell for this. Same story as the others. At that time my email address was anney@erols,.com.

Penny W., 2014-02-27, 09:30PM CST

I just found my email from [email protected] dated 7/4/1999 with 'reservation numbers'. We'll see what happens!

c7b4c43b, 2014-03-20, 10:17AM CDT

I was very busy back in 1999! I too have emails with stock numbers totaling 76 shares! What a fool I must have been! Is it even worth saving them at this point?

ddd14945, 2014-03-23, 02:13AM CDT

I too was duped by them. At the time I owned a small restaurant in Greenwich Village, Manhattan, and referred many customers to popularlink and because of that I accumulated over a hundred stock certificates. One thing I'm quite certain of is that we'll never heard from them again. It was a lesson learned.

Tom S., 2014-04-05, 11:00AM CDT

I too have stock numbers for 5 stocks I was given by the company. I printed out the reservation number page from this. The date on the print-out is 04/27, 1999. I also have never received any further notice and would like to know if this is legit and the value.