Chase/Customer Service

Posted on Saturday, August 5th, 2006 at 8:05am CDT by 5c391b1a

Company: Chase/Customer Service

I visited the banking center in the Diplomat Plaza in Flint, Michigan. I went there after I wasn't able to be helped over the phone. The issue I'm having is this: Somehow, someone got my debit card number and ordered some items on the internet without my consent or knowledge. I didn't realize there was a problem until I started getting overdraft notices. I immediately called to find out about those charges. I disputed the charges. However, there were three different unauthorized charges on my account. I thought they had taken care of them, but I keep having problems. I was charged a service fee and an additional overdraft fee due to these items. These unauthorized charges have simply screwed up my checking account. Chase did a chargeback on the wrong company and caused me to have fees incurred. I am a displaced auto worker and am living on a fixed income at this time. The last thing I need is several fees that I can't afford. I explained this to the branch manager when I went into the bank. She was obviously having a bad day, because she was extremely unsympathetic to my situation. (For the record, this is the second time I've had to deal with the manager, Jenni Hill. The first time I dealt with her, she wasn't helpful or considerate either.) I explained to her how these charges have created many issues with my account. I also explained that I am on a fixed income, have been a Chase customer since the bank was called Genessee Bank, wasn't trying to get over, and only wanted a couple of the fees waived because the mixup with the unauthorized charges threw my entire account off a little bit. She then told me there was nothing they could do about it because they refunded the unauthorized charges and service fees related to those items only. She wouldn't take into consideration the fact that my entire account was thrown off due to something out of my control. I then said, "Well, I can't afford to keep paying these fees, especially since I'm on a fixed income. Is there any way to get these fees waived one time so that I can get back on track?" She replied, "Unfortunately not." (Which was a lie. All branch managers have the authority to waive fees.) I then told her that I would like to close both of my accounts. She didn't try to talk me out of it or offer an alternative. She just said, "Well, you still have some items pending. They should clear by tomorrow. Come back then and close your account." I am appalled that they would simply let a long term customer go because they don't want to waive the fees occured due to something out of my power. I have decided to write this letter to let Chase and any Chase customers know that when it comes down to it, they are more concerned with their fees than they are their long time customers. I have decided to do my banking with National City. I went to inquire about opening an account and their customer service is excellent! Thanks for nothing Chase.

Tamara