Detroit Income Tax Refund

Posted on Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 at 11:50am CDT by 96cac0a5

Company: Detroit Income Tax Refund

Category: Government, Police

As it is listed up top, my name is Marilyn. I live in Detroit, MI (48235). I have sent five (5) copies so far of my Detroit Income Tax form to the Income Tax Division, the reason why? Every time that I would ask about the status of my refund, the customer service person would say send another copy. The original copy was sent the last week of January, 2006. I have called this division more than I have fingers and toes but still no answers.

Yet they come up with several excuses why it has not been posted! One of their most famous excuses is: "It will take ninety (90) days after we receive it before it is posted". Well here it is August and I am still waiting! I think they are loosing these returns on purpose so they won't have to send me my refund amount, which by the way is $738.00. If I owed the City of Detroit - say the same amount, and do them like they are doing me now, either they would put a lieu on my wages or I will be looking at some prison time for tax evasion - let's not forget all the interest that the City of Detroit would charge because of slow payment- and because they are slow at paying me back, I wonder do I get the same priviledges. (Mystery)

There is big confusion going on down in the Income Tax Divison of Detroit; something is very wrong and I think it is ashame the way they are treating me. I am begging for help - not only for myself, but for all the people who is in this same type of predicament.

I have been a tax paying citizen in Detroit for over twenty-nine (29) years, and I think it is a disgrace the way the Detroit Income Tax Division is handling the refunds. I know that I am not the only one this is happening to - I know there are others.

Maybe $738.00 don't mean a lot to people with a six figure income, but it means the world to me.

I don't bring home a big pay check - in a matter of fact, I fight very hard to make ends meet. I want to be in the black on day; not always in the red, and I have been fighting my whole life just to do that! I know there is someone out there that can help me - I am running out of time and I have deadlines and things that must be paid or else.

PLEASE HELP ME - I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.

0b5bceff, 2007-10-09, 02:57PM CDT

i sympathize with you 100%. i have over $1k in refunds that i have not received myself. the sad thing is that we have officials in place that are not doing anything about the situation. i simply do not know how to handle this anymore. they certainly would not tolerate it if we did it as citizens but just bec they are the govnmt they feel like they can treat us this way. a big change is definitely needed in the way things work out there. its extremely frustrating. i just wished there was someone we could hold accountable/reliable for this and send them to jail instead for not performing their duties.

b44cb4ed, 2008-07-27, 05:38PM CDT

I'm in a similar situation, I have been waiting for my refund since February, in the amount of $600. and either they dont answer the phone, or its still in processing as they say.and it could take up to 90 days well its been over 90 days, and let me mention that Im not even a resident of Detroit, and how was i paying taxes there anyway...OH! and they still processing paperwork by hand!!while every other Suburbian Community is more modernized and organized doing things electronicly. SOME BODY NEED TO DO SOMETHING!!PEOPLE GOT OTHER BILLS TO PAY, that are depending on their money!!!!

signed...

WE NEED A CHANGE!!!

ee6208a5, 2009-08-08, 12:48PM CDT

I also have a refund coming, over $900, and there is no help available to get it. I filed in March. The City of Detroit is a national joke, and so are all of its officials.

ad20cbdb, 2009-11-06, 06:13AM CST

I am also experiecing the same situation with Detroit Income Tax Return. It is now November and we still have not received our $600 refund after numerous calls to the City. We are given a number of excuses... (1) It hasn't been posted yet, once it is, it will take 90 days (2) You will receive a letter in Sept if there are any issues with your return, if you don't you will get your refund no later than Sept 30 ...the excuses go on and on...It is November...and still no money from the City. Something certainly needs to be done about this.

24a0108a, 2009-11-10, 02:58PM CST

It is 11/10/09. I submitted my refund tax form in February. They were ignorant 3 of the 4 times I requested status. I submitted new copies upon their request because they were too lazy to look up my information. In July, I was given status that they had it but could not tell me when I would receive my money. When we owe them, we better have their money. The system has failed its citizens all around from DHS to the IRS. Our new President needs to know what is going on. This is crazy. And why to I find more Ghetto Unprofessional Businesses SOUTH OF 8 MILE. And people wonder why we shop, train, or move out of the city!!!

b6c7fd28, 2009-11-30, 02:53PM CST

We are owed for 2007 and 2008 and they confirmed that they received our tax forms June 2008. Actually 2007 was sent back in October of 2008. They told us to wait 120 business days from which is today.. and guess what.. NO MONEY.. I'm on the phone now and of course.. no one is picking up the phone. This is ridiculous!! How to escalate this?

7c797f13, 2009-12-04, 03:32PM CST

yes my name is danita green and i have never recieved my city taxes, this year is almost over and i havent received mines for this year either. if you know someone that can help me to please contact me [email protected] thankyou for speaking up because it doesnt make any sence. here me and my family are out here struggling to make ends meet and they take the money out my check with no problem but when its time for me to get my refund its all type of mess.i just want the money that is owed to me.

9691086c, 2009-12-21, 03:05AM CST

Myself and several others that I work with in Detroit have the same exact issue. I wonder if we could all bring some sort of class action suit aginst the city, it has been just this year year for me so far, and I am owed about $400.00, and tax season is just around the corner again! I refuse to play the "send more copies" game with them. I wonder if it's legal to have my payroll dept. to send them $1.00 per pay from my check until I recieve my money from them. I am at my witts end with this city! This MUST be aginst some federal law for them to openly rob us and treat us like sub-humans when we call them! I feel like talking to my attorney, the IRS, my congressman, the governor, sending emails to the whitehouse, and even the problem solvers team to try to resolve this. I just don't know what else to do. I am also having financial hardships and work too hard for my money to have to go through this! any advise or help?

1867cc64, 2010-04-06, 05:36PM CDT

I have exact the same problem with Detroit City, which did not send my tax refund yet. But my anger now is more towards Compuware Corp. than to Detroit, because Compuware unnecessarily collected my tax for Detroit during the period of my not working in the city. I asked the payroll to stop collecting the tax but Compuware just ignored. Now I have to go thru this painful period of waiting for refund, not even know how long I have to wait. And I am going to move out of Michigan soon. For Detroit tax purpose, it is better to send a check for what you owe, instead of waiting for the refund from the Detroit for what you are owed.

693f7c7d, 2010-09-01, 07:51AM CDT

Call (313)224-1701, the General Manager's office. You should get results.

8ef9448d, 2010-09-07, 06:02PM CDT

I am in the same boat!! Waiting on my 2009 refund...they owe me $847.00. Where is my money???????????

4483051f, 2010-11-23, 11:42AM CST

That phone number listed does nothing. I have been on hold every other week for an average of 40 mins before I get hung up on.

City of Detroit is such a joke.

275cdbf1, 2011-08-24, 08:34AM CDT

I understand Marilyn's frustration. I to have an issue with Detroit Income tax Division. I filed a non-resident return because I work there and I am due a $544.00 refund and the city stop answering the phone for tax issues. I use to live in Detroit until 1998 and always considered myself as a Detroiter until Kwame became Mayor. I admire and respect Dave Bing and his leadership and he has a mess on his hands, but Mayor Bing you can at least have your people give us a reason in the mail for the delay of our refunds.

16ec16c0, 2012-05-22, 09:00AM CDT

I am pissed off that instead of a refund in which I am owed, I got a bill stating that I owe money! I am a non-resident who worked in the city not quite a full year, haven't lived in the city since I was 18 years old, and paid city taxes weekly. Instead of sending a refund they turned it into a bill and my W-2's/Check Stubs are documentation that I paid without a doubt. Yet through many attempts to contact the tax division I wait on hold for 45 minutes then get a dial tone!!!

rox k., 2012-09-05, 12:07PM CDT

HI, I am also pissed at the city of detroit for not giving the refund. I came to the city last year June. Though, my refund amount is only $158, I would like to get that amount ASAP for paying other stuff. Last week, I have to take money from ATM with an overdraft charge of $35. It sums up my situation. Today, I called the contact number for the refund amount. Waited 36 minutes on the phone to get dial tone. The lady on the other side said that she never got my tax return. I sent the return on March 2012. I tried calling the contact number several times before but it was not working. The funny thing is that I sent it by priority mail. How on earth is this possible? No wonder why people are moving out of Detroit. The worst city in USA!. I think they don't want to give back the refund and instead give it to welfare.

rox k., 2012-09-05, 12:11PM CDT

bcbd4bca, 2012-09-11, 07:42AM CDT

For tax year 2010, although the City of Detroit Tax Division received the necessary documentation to process my refund, instead they sent me a bill stating that I needed to make payment. After contacting them, the lady did tell me that she would go ahead and get the refund out and she did. However, total turnaround time from tax file date to receipt of funds was nearly nine months. Now, 2011 tax year, the same issue. Receive a letter from Tax Audit Division that more documentation was needed, so I sent promptly. To-date no refund and no answers at the contact telephone numbers on their letterhead or websites. I say let's get the news involved. In my attempt to reach the auditor that I was told needed to provide the status, these employees said that most of their departments of 100s have been layed-off, whereas now only about 17 employees. I wonder if the chosen few understand that if they were able to keep their job, it would be good if they did everything to stay onboard by processing refunds and returning telephone calls timely.....doubt it. Channel 2 will be my next call. This is ridiculous. My refund amount for 2011 is $539. Yes, I needed and need the dollars desparately.