1999 Chevy Cavalier

Posted on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 10:26am CST by 8f876a82

Company: 1999 Chevy Cavalier

We have a 1999 chevy cavalier, 2.2 ltr, 4 speed automatic. I bought the car offlease in late 2001 with 47000kms thinking it was the best of the cavalier model for its type since gm had 4 years to improve this version. In 2002, the car cost me 1400 dollars replacing the engine mounts and right control arm. I might have been ripped off on the engine mounts but the control arm was gone for sure. In 2004, we spent 2100 dollars replacing brake parts that were messed as a result of mixing in a different type or brand of brake fluid. The shop that did the work denied responsibility and i gave up after a month of fighting them to cover the cost. The same year, one hose busted and i got it replaced but the engine heat has never been the same and now normally stays above the middle point. I have had numerous tests done and no problem could be located. All the shops said not to worry as it never went into the red. I have this problem to date and decided to ignore it forever. Early 2005, I spent 800 at the dealership replacing the alternator which suddenly went out. Lastly, my wife went out ona girls night out. She called me early saturday on the way home telling me the car stalled. i had it towed to a repair shop where they replaced the fuel pump with an aftermarket one and with a total od another 800 dollars. I now have nearly 170000kms on the car. If I could afford it, I would have sold this car a long time ago and gone japanese but my tight budget limits me for now. I have now resolved to servicing most of the little jobs myself to save on labour. Unfrtunately this is the only car we have and it has to be kept running for myself and my wife to go to and from work and all our other errands and little trips. I think there are other things that need replacement but im hesitant to spend money on this car unless it stops moving. I dont recommend buying this car unless you want to have nightmares like me.

Frustrated!